Where to get older iTunes software

ProphetSix

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a friend who just got an older Mac, (Performa 6214CD). He's got OS 8.0 on there. He wants to run iTunes on it. I'm thinking he could run ver 2.0 of iTunes, but I can't find it for download on Apple's site, current version only.

Is there a download availible from Apple.com for older versions of iTunes, or do I need to search the WWW for an archived copy floating around on someone's web-site?

Thanks.

(And no, he won't be accessing the iTMS. No built in Ethernet, and he doesn't care about that. He just wants a cheap music jukebox. The Mac was free.)

you might be able to find it in the archives but that system doesn't meet the minimum requirements of

9.0.4 (9.2.1 recomended)
Latest version of Authoring Support (version 1.1.3 as of October 2001)

the OS is going to be the main thing but I will let you know i don't think that machine will have enough umph to run itunes but I could be wrong

Wasn't iTunes called "SoundJam" or something like that? Like it was 3rd party and Apple bought it, or the developers or something.

Originally posted by KaosDG
Wasn't iTunes called "SoundJam" or something like that? Like it was 3rd party and Apple bought it, or the developers or something.
That would be news to my ears.

ARCHIVES!!!

Damnit, I knew I was missing something. I'll check there. Heck, ver 1.0 would do at this point. Thanks though. I'll post if it does work out on 8.0 or not.

^$*% Versiontracker !!!!!!!

Damnit, they LIST version 2.0.4 under the 9.0 section. But do they actually HAVE version 2.0.4. NO! The "download" link takes you straight to apple.com for the latest version of iTunes!

Bastards........ Or should I say "teases"?

Originally posted by fibroptikl
That would be news to my ears.

From here: http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/faq_cont.shtml#whatsj

Don't know how factual it is or whatever, but this is where i read about it.

What's SoundJam?

SoundJam was one of the first of the better MP3 players for the Macintosh and thanks to its ease of use, skinability, and audio quality, quickly became very popular. Other superior MP3 players such as SoundApp, Audion and MACast were/are quite capable, but—in my opinion—none has come close to the power of SoundJam. It was one of those few applications whose usefulness was expandable with AppleScript. And it had the best scriptability of Mac MP3 players by a long shot (I mean, you still can't script Audion to do anything practical).

SoundJam's slow demise was not exactly smooth. In late 2000/early 2001, Apple acquired the distribution rights to SoundJam from Casady & Greene, a distributor of third-party software products, and retained SoundJam's developers to work on iTunes. iTunes debuted at the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco in January (the same Expo that debuted iDVD and the G4 TiBook). In May of 2001, Casady & Greene announced it was discontinuing publication of SoundJam at the request of its developers, who by then were working for Apple, and version 2.5.3 was the last release.

On July 3, 2003, Casady & Greene filed for bancruptcy and closed its doors.

You cannot download SoundJam from this site! I am also unaware of any sites where a working version can be obtained.

Thanks Instigator.... I found that too. Too bad it needs 9.0.4 to run. I think his Performa maxes out at OS 8.0 or 8.1.

I've been on the iTunes kick for a while now, (you should see the Windows converts I have at work. NO ONE will use Real Palyer or WMP anymore, eh eh eh...). I totally forgot about my 8.x days. I think I still have a copy of MacCast floating around somewhere on my 8500. I'll dig it out. I was just trying to get him iTunes, when all he needs is "a" MP3 player, not necessarily "the" MP3 player.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Originally posted by KaosDG

Yep SoundJam MP from Casady & Greene. I used that on my Macs back in the day. It really was a nice program, in fact I still have an actual retail CD for it in with my Mac software.

well I just checked Mactracker and it looks like the Performa 6200 series can run up to 9.1 so there is hope...if you can find a 9.0 retail install CD you can update to 9.1 from the website

Back