Where to get FW900 CRT

rabidz7

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't find any on eBay or Craigslist, so where can I get one?

At this point, most FW900 are in at least a slight state of failure. It's going to be a lot of work to get a good one or repair one, and then it might not last long.

Unfortunately, you're better off sticking with LCD.

At this point, most FW900 are in at least a slight state of failure. It's going to be a lot of work to get a good one or repair one, and then it might not last long.

Unfortunately, you're better off sticking with LCD.

I would actually agree with this sentiment, despite being a CRT nut. Most FW900 problems that I see talked about on the net are related to flyback transformer issues and tube issues as well. Your best bet is to see the unit in person or have the seller shoot you a video of it powering up and warming up for 30 minutes. If there are any functional issues, they should rear their head during the warm-up. If the warm-up checks out, then you likely have a well-functioning FW900. Then you need to sweeten the deal by recallibrating the unit with some kind of pattern generator (computer or signal generator) and a colorimeter (Monaco Optix DTP-94's are your best bet). The process, once you know what you're doing, can take several hours to get it right. But it's well worth it. Typical price for a used DTP-94 colorimeter is $60 - give or take - so it's financially well within the limits of most people. You can also purchase a signal generator as well to nix the requirement of a separate computer (it also helps that most are laboratory-grade). I have a Quantum Data 801-GG, which can actually communicate with WinDAS via serial cable (no setting resolutions and modes and patterns - the software does it for you). That was more expensive though, at $130.

If this sounds too much, then I would suggest an FW900 isn't for you. OR - you could contact LAGRUNAEUR (Unkle Vito) and see if he has any A+ units. Be prepared to spend some crazy money though.

Those are your options. If this all sounds crazy, then the FW900 probably isn't for you. If you absolutely must have a CRT, there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good as an FW900 or better, provided you don't need widescreen support.

I can't find any on eBay or Craigslist, so where can I get one?

It's all based on luck and skill. I got mine back in 2011 and I had it for a limited time mostly due to the fact that it hogged a lot of power and dad wasn't down with that; and it was in Bakersfield as well...

If you want one locally, you'd have to be really lucky but if you have the money to go the distance for an FW900. (and I mean in another state distance) than go for it.

Back