Where to get a decent 2560x1600 or x1440 for gaming?

I would not buy a LCD from 120hz.net *.biz *.whatever. There are cheaper options that *may* get you what you're seeking.

There are two new Korean LCDs that overclock and available for <$320.
Most folks can achieve 96hz. Some are lucky and can overclock to 120hz.

Qnix QX2710 (I bought one of these and have it running at 120hz)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1758515

The LCD I received has no stuck pixels, no dead pixels and virtually no backlight bleeding. I used an Asus color profile and it is amazing.
I previously used the "Crossover" branded Korean LCD since spring 2012.

Or the X-Star
Read the thread at Overclock.net
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

Yep. That's the one. I bought it from hulustar.

They may take 2-3 days to ship.
When you place your order, tell them your video card, tell them how much to declare on the customs form and if gift or not.

If you're in the USA, there's no customs fees because of the korea free trade agreement.
It may also be a good idea to purchase a 3 year Squaretrade warranty for $50.

Also, my 27" Crossover brand was "glossy" and I have my computer in my basement with recessed overhead lighting. So I can control lighting fairly well; but the TV is on the opposite wall with a 2 year old glued to it so there were some reflections.
I still found the reflective glare to be annoying so I opted to purchase the QX2710 as "matte".

If you read up on it, most people state that the matte coating is not very agressive so the picture is still sharp. I am much happier with my matte Qnix than my glossy Crossover.

oh, and the Qnix stand is shit.
There's basically ONE little pin with 1/8" dia that holds the base to the stand. It's wobbly and doesn't rotate. It only tilts up and down slightly.
Some users have been purchasing stands from Monoprice. Mine is stationary and I don't move it, so life will continue with the crappy stand.

Last edited:
Nope. Once shipped, 2-3 days transit. it probably didn't help that I ordered on Thursday night, so they didn't ship until Monday. I received it 3 days later on Thursday.

It was shipped in a thin plastic bag with no bubble wrap, but there didn't seem to be any damage on the box from shipping.

*edit*
there's a ton of info here:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...eview-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

Though his only "testing" for input lag is subjective feel. boo.

Last edited:
I see it has speakers. How do they sound? Not that it matters cause I have a speaker set.

I forgot about that. I have no idea how they sound. I use my Onkyo receiver & bookshelf speakers.

One last question, how's the color and brightness? Thanks again for all the info. I think I'll pull the trigger on this one and order.

I'm not really looking for the "120" that the dedicated games seeks. Just something bigger and better than my old Dell2001fp 1600x1200.

Besides, my son is big into Trainz and Railworks 2013 so there wont be that much fast moving action. lol

I think I'm just a wanna-be LCD snob. I actually don't do any real testing.

The colors are very very good. I like it better than all the other LCDs I've owned.

I still have a U2310, I had 3x2209wa, had 2x2001fp, had shitty Asus vw266h, had Crossover 27"
I bought and still have a NEC 20wmgx2, and the colors and sharpness are phenomenal. The blacks suck though.

Just try out some different color profiles and you'll be happy. Brightness is adjustable, and can go pretty dim. It's not overly bright like cheap TN panels. The blacks are very nice too.

Of course, remember that it's all luck of the draw. It's cheap because it's a gamble. Most people are having good luck. Some have excessive backlight bleeding because the metal frame is pushing in on the LCD.

@ J Macker, how where you able to achieve this refresh rate?
Any pictures (or video) would be appreciated.

Thanks

@ J Macker, how where you able to achieve this refresh rate?
Any pictures (or video) would be appreciated.

Thanks

this picture shows the steps using nVidia drivers;
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...0-matte-overclock-able-pls-2.html#post1016094

I have a Radeon and the steps are pretty much exactly the same.
The instructions are detailed in the big thread at overclock.net.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star/0_100#

Is there anything wrong with using these displays for desktop work?

Everybody should be using these for desktop work.
They're very nice screens and very affordable. There's a huge list of pros, and only a few cons.
I would bring one into work if they would let me.

It's scary buying "B" panels that can have dead pixels.

Last edited:
I'm too afraid to purchase this display because I could get 1 dead pixel.

How can I get around that gamble?

It would drive me insane if it had a dead pixel.

Unless you are very sensitive, you probably have the equivalent of 20 dead pixels worth of dirt on your current screen.

I'm too afraid to purchase this display because I could get 1 dead pixel.

How can I get around that gamble?

It would drive me insane if it had a dead pixel.

I took the gamble and ordered it with the matte finish along with the 3 year warranty for piece of mind. Wish me luck. I'll post back when it get's here.

What would you guys say is the best 1440p display for gaming?
By this I mean best refresh rate and response time.

I'm up in the air about surround lightboost vs 1440p gaming.

I would not buy a LCD from 120hz.net *.biz *.whatever. There are cheaper options that *may* get you what you're seeking.

There are two new Korean LCDs that overclock and available for <$320.
Most folks can achieve 96hz. Some are lucky and can overclock to 120hz.

Qnix QX2710 (I bought one of these and have it running at 120hz)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1758515

The LCD I received has no stuck pixels, no dead pixels and virtually no backlight bleeding. I used an Asus color profile and it is amazing.
I previously used the "Crossover" branded Korean LCD since spring 2012.

Or the X-Star
Read the thread at Overclock.net
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

So this is Samsung's 27" PLS panel in a $300 monitor? These have to be panels that didn't pass Samsung's QA tests (which are bad to begin with). That or a company likes selling below cost.

Overlord computers sells a well reviewed 1440p in both 60hz and an OC 120hz model. It costs as much as a monoprice (the 60hz) and offers an american company backing it unlike the korean ebay screens. The only caveat is they seem to never be in stock, I preordered mine 3 months ago, and it is finally coming tomorrow. You should check them out, might get lucky and find them in stock in the next few weeks as their shipments are coming in :)

The original glossy Auria had washed out colors (low average gamma) and mediocre contrast (<500:1 contrast)/black levels and the new version uses a wide gamut panel=inaccurate and over-saturated colors and has a very grainy matte coating. There is a reason they are so cheap and come with a real warranty. At least the Korean panels tested have actually been good.

Might as well get a quality 1920x1200 monitor over the Auria such as the NEC EA244WMi

Last edited:
I have nothing to compare it too other than an old Dell 2001FP 1600x1200 but this monitor is WOW! A bit of backlight bleeding on the bottom but so far worth the $$ and the risk. Not one dead pixel either!!

I was able to set the refresh rate to 120hz. I don't see any issues. My son is playing Railworks 2013 at 2560x1440 at most of the settings high with a 4770k @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX 780 stock. My concern is I don't want to kill this monitor by doing this. This isn't a simulator that really needs 120hz so maybe I'll just set it back to 60hz. Unless you convince me otherwise.

Any other things I need to adjust? I'm a noob with this so don't know if I would notice the difference. Thanx J Macker for the lead on this!

NCX, props to you too for the overclock tutorial!

I'm using a Dell U3011 which I picked up on sale about a year ago and while most wouldn't call it a gaming monitor, it's been excellent and I have zero complaints. The picture is sharp, colourful and black all the way around.

The only downside is I wasn't able to get a smooth gaming experience at 2560 x 1600 with decent settings until I crossfired a couple of $400 AMD cards.

Back