Where to find GOOD vinyl dye?

EPS Sniper

Gawd
I've been looking all over town, from Hobby Lobby to Michael's, to Home Depot, Autozone, Pepboys, Wal-Mart, and Target with no luck. I'm looking for a place that sells some good vinyl dye with a variety of colors. I'm mainly trying to match the charcoal gray of the Antec SX1030b.

Do you guys have any particular place that you get your vinyl dye from?

Peace,
-EPS

Vinyl dye doesn't come in very many colors, I got mine from pepboys however.

id=161

Try an auto paint store.

SEM is the best brand out there. Comes in lots of colors in cans, or literally ANY color if you have them mix it and spray it yourself.

Originally posted by SarverSystems
One word: Krylon Fusion.

another vote for Krylon....awesome stuff....painted my cdrom faces and floppy faces (yes i still use a floppy)

I've used Duplicolor and it looks awesome.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html

I used VS 1 (gloss black) on my Samsung CD-RW. I got it at Wal-Mart for $3.47. They also have flat black (VS 3) and charcoal gray (VS 11).

Here's a pic (sorry about the quality, it's only a 640x480 camera):

pict00013.jpg

It looks better in person.

I've had the most luck using my model paints. They tend to resist wear better and soak into the plastic better. I recently tried painting my molex connectors with some Rustoleum Vynil stuff and all it did was create a oave on the outside which I peeled off and then repainted with some flat black model paints. Worked tons better. I'm gonna buy a can of Krylon Fusion and see how that works because using model paints to paint my bezel and other stuff is gonna get spendy. A ~1oz bottle usually goes for about 2.50 you can make it last longer if you air brush it on rather than just brushing it on.

Here in central Jersey hardly anyone carries it. I finally found some at Pepboys, but by then I didn't need it any more (I was looking for Plastidip actually when I went in, and they don't carry it... True Value does however). Sometimes I LOVE home depot, other times I HATE them... thank god there is an excellent True Value I discovered no far from here that carries tons of great stuff... they even had good fittings for watercooling as well as hose lines (in clear, white, and black!).

Originally posted by GNNR |AVault|
Here in central Jersey hardly anyone carries it. I finally found some at Pepboys, but by then I didn't need it any more (I was looking for Plastidip actually when I went in, and they don't carry it... True Value does however). Sometimes I LOVE home depot, other times I HATE them... thank god there is an excellent True Value I discovered no far from here that carries tons of great stuff... they even had good fittings for watercooling as well as hose lines (in clear, white, and black!).

dude, pepboys, autozone, sts, wal-mart, they all have it...and look at my location, im right by you. user error is obvious :p

Pepboys, autozone, most chain automobile stores, walmart.

Most auto stores carry Plasticote, but I reccomend SEM. The SEM covers better, has a better finish, does not smell as bad for as long, and has a wider color selection.

You can pick up SEM at most automotive paint supply stores, but check out the referal link on thier site: http://www.semproducts.com/

As far as colors go, they have nothing that will match the color you are looking for (I have the same color case), but you should be able to find a place that can custom mix colors. Just get ahold of your local distributor.

You made me curious about color matching my drives as well, so I just called the SEM rep for my area. I found a place localy that will be able to match the color for me, but the smallest they can mix up is a quart.

The only catch is because is because it is a metallic, you will need to airbrush it on, or find another way to spray it on.

I'll probley get this in a week or two, anyone want to split it?

Actually, walmart here next to SaddleBrook does NOT have it. I tried four autozones, only one heard of it and they said they no longer carry it. What is STS?

Back