Where to find free Remote Desktop utility for XP HOME?

unfortunateson

Limp Gawd
Does anybody know of any free software that allows me to set up a remote computer like windows Remote Desktop? I need to be able to log in and out of accounts also. I tried TightVNC, but you need to be logged into an account to allow access from a remote computer.

You can run VNC, as a service and then log into it, this is usually an option when installing, if not you could use a program like firedaemon to set it up as a service. When it is a service, as long as the computer is on, you can log into it and out of it

Thanks for the Suggestions, RealVNC works pretty well. I have one more question: If I boot up my computer, I have to log in one time for the services to start so other computers can access the server. Is there a tool to load realvnc during the windows bootup, so that I can connect to the computer without having to log in after bootup?

just set the service to start automatically and it should start on boot... it works that way for me...

I have the realvnc service to automatically run, but it doesnt seem to kick in until i log on as a user. After I logged in with a user, i can run connect remotely anytime i want whether anyone is logged in or not, until the computer reboots.

I use ultraVNC and I can log on when the other machine isn't logged on. On local machine, I'll see the log in screen on the remote and put in the username and password and I am logged on. Also, UltraVNC has a file transfer utility so if you need to transfer files from/to the remote, you can do that with UltraVNC. I don't think WinVNC, TightVNC, or RealVNC have that feature. UltraVNC is also much much faster than the other 3 that I mentioned.

I currently have UltraVNC on one of my machines and my brother in the midwest logs into it and downloads files from it.

WS6 said:
I use ultraVNC and I can log on when the other machine isn't logged on. On local machine, I'll see the log in screen on the remote and put in the username and password and I am logged on. Also, UltraVNC has a file transfer utility so if you need to transfer files from/to the remote, you can do that with UltraVNC. I don't think WinVNC, TightVNC, or RealVNC have that feature. UltraVNC is also much much faster than the other 3 that I mentioned.

I currently have UltraVNC on one of my machines and my brother in the midwest logs into it and downloads files from it.

I can already log in when the server machine isnt logged on, but, to get the VNC service started, i have to log in to my server computer at least once after booting up. I dont want to have to do this. I want to be able to turn my computer on, let it just sit at the user log in screen, and log in from another computer.

unfortunateson said:
I can already log in when the server machine isnt logged on, but, to get the VNC service started, i have to log in to my server computer at least once after booting up.
That's not how a windows service works. Services start irrespective of an authenticated logon.

Clearly, there's something you're not doing properly, or some other part of the puzzle we're missing, because if you have VNC configured to start as a windows service then it starts immediately following bootup.

I figured it out - uninstalled, reinstalled, and now i can get on fine.
A couple more questions:
1. Is there a way to make RealVNC faster without cutting the res or colors? Windows' Remote Desktop connection works much faster.

2. My computer has a wake-on-lan feature in the bios. How could i wake it up remotely? Is it a board specific issue?

Back