Where to find carbon fiber cloth

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've got a project I'd like to use some carbon fiber for but I'm at a loss as to where I can get ahold of some. I remember finding a link to a place that sold expired aerospace carbon fiber and kevlar really cheaply. It was posted in a thread here, probably several years ago now, perhaps in one of mashie's work logs.

I know it's a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone has the link or knows of someplace similar? My searches so far have not been fruitful.

Yes, tragically, I've tried punching "carbon fiber cloth" into Google already. I'm not stupid. I'm looking for a rather specific site. Carbon fiber has a shelf life and this place used to get ahold of the remainders of expired reels from aerospace manufacturers. While it wasn't so useful if you were interested in making airframes, it was great for nonstructural uses. They used to sell it for less than $10 per square yard.

Unfortunately, I think my hopes of finding it that cheap are likely in vain. This two year supposed shortage of CF has probably dried up that market.

Carbon fiber isn't really going to go bad on you, especially when you are buying from some of these online dealers that readily have it in stock. Most likely they are replacing their stocks because they sell out, so it can't be that 'old'. Unless you are making the shell for a race car or speed boat, I think you should be fine. :p

That's exactly my point. I don't need it for any structural purposes. That's why I was looking for the expired stuff.

Carbon fiber isn't really going to go bad on you

Go bad? Are you talking about prepreg? You probably don't want that - it's for autoclave applications. Plain CF will last for a long time. You can get it at many boatbuilding supply shops. If you're on or near a coast, you should be able to find such a shop. You'll be able to get polyester, vinylester or epoxy resin there as well.

Back