where to buy wiring supplies online?

roberttran

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,

I'll buying my first house next week and the first thing I plan on doing is laying down the network infrastructure. I was thinking of either going with a pair of CAT5e or CAT6 and coax to each room with a nice wiring closet in the attic.

What's a good source to buy supplies like punch down panels, jacks, plugs, spools of wires, etc. I was checking out Home Depot and the stuff there isn't that expensive, but I'm not sure about the quality.

Pull more cable than you think you need. It comes in handy.

I generally pull double.

...and don't be a fool and think you can use cheap PVC cabling in the walls

buy the proper plenum grade cable, boxes, and connectors

I disagree with this--in a house your attic and wall space usually are not considered a plenum air space and does not require the extra expense for plenum rated cable. Furthermore plenum cable is harder to work with typically--it kinks easier and takes a bit more effort to strip vs PVC.

Use riser cable throughout your attic and wall space without worry.

PVC coated cable emits toxic fumes when burned...

My thoughts on that statement were always:

If you're worried about the toxic fumes while the walls around you are burning, you seem to be jumping into the empty tub while you run the bath water on the floor.

If your cabling in the attic catches on fire you have alot more to be worried about...the vent stacks in your house for drains are also made out of PVC pipe. Plenum cables are used for businesses when drop ceilings are plenum, or in an environment being cooled by raised floor. You don't want toxic fumes in a space providing heating/cooling to people.

Use plenum where and when electrical or local code requires it. Otherwise your spending way too much money for little to no benefit or gain.

As far as any arguement about toxic fumes, by the time a fire reaches the cables inside a wall, there will have been plenty of household items burned that emit far more toxic fumes than what little is emitted by PVC.

Use plenum where and when electrical or local code requires it. Otherwise your spending way too much money for little to no benefit or gain.

As far as any arguement about toxic fumes, by the time a fire reaches the cables inside a wall, there will have been plenty of household items burned that emit far more toxic fumes than what little is emitted by PVC.

Exactly.

I do both residential and commercial cabling work, voice-data-video.
I still do not trust the wiring stuff from Monoprice, Deep Surplus, etc. Never used it, not willing to skimp on quality for a lower price. Call me stubborn...
I use all Leviton components unless I have to match a specific brand that is already installed and normally buy General Cable or Carol/Signal.
I get all my parts from local electrical and datacomm suppliers. They are all local to me and stock what I use so I can always get material. I can't afford to be out of something in the middle of the job and have to wait for it to come in from the internet. It helps to have the supply house 10 minutes away so I can pick up more parts. If I just need it for stock, I can call my Graybar rep and have it on my doorstep in no more than 2 days.

I will say that most, if not all commercial applications require the use of plenum cable. In your house, PVC riser cable is fine.

I always like wiring threads, people always recommend overkill.

Ive used about 10 rolls now of Monoprice cable, and it works great.

Use to use all leviton connectors, inserts, etc. But pricing sucks on leviton. Now trying Monoprice inserts which seem to work fine.

I get the 70 buck cable from monoprice and use it everywhere.

Hey, suit yourself...I am not saying it does not work, but I am willing to spend the extra money to be assured of a quality product every single time.

I still do not trust the wiring stuff from Monoprice, Deep Surplus, etc. Never used it, not willing to skimp on quality for a lower price. Call me stubborn...

Uh, You don't trust it....but you've never used it? :confused:

I do not trust the quality of something that costs so much less than a product that I know is excellent quality and a reputable manufacturer.

I do not trust the quality of something that costs so much less than a product that I know is excellent quality and a reputable manufacturer.

You're looking at it the wrong way around. I'll sell you a quality 7' Cat6 Cables-to-Go gold plated cable for $100; that $15 one from Belkin is a piece of shit.

As long as they're to spec, and really even if they aren't (the gear itself is usually heavily overspecced - some manufacturers will even guarantee 20-50% more range than the spec dictates), they'll do the job. In my experience the QC at Monoprice is fine. Yes, the cables have crappy molded boots and aren't the best made patch cables around, but they're also very inexpensive and work perfectly fine - they use the same basic cable stock as everyone else, and the only thing you can really complain about is the crappy ends. If you're not reconnecting them all the time (and RJ45 isn't really designed for that anyway) they're a pain, but otherwise who cares in a non-data-centre setting?

Last edited:
The price equals quality formula is not one I would ever follow, if that's what you want buy monster cables...

I don't see the argument being any different for network cables then it is for A/V cables.

I give up lol...I have been using the same products for years and see no reason to change...I've never had a problem with Leviton, and for me the price difference is not enough to make a change. Also anytime I need parts, I can go to 5 different places locally and get exactly what I need.
Also, consider the fact that all the parts I buy get installed and sold to a customer so I am making some markup on them.

Just an fyi incase any of you want to do the same....
I've had a problem with mixing monoprice keystone jacks with leviton plates. Monoprice jacks are slightly smaller, they fit leviton plates and work just fine. It just bothers me they move around a tiny bit....

Just an fyi incase any of you want to do the same....
I've had a problem with mixing monoprice keystone jacks with leviton plates. Monoprice jacks are slightly smaller, they fit leviton plates and work just fine. It just bothers me they move around a tiny bit....

Thats good to know.

I've always stuck with Leviton branded stuff though.

Back