Where to buy PIX 501?

jonw757

Gawd
Im thinking about possibly getting a PIX for home use so I can learn on it. Just not sure exactly where a good place to buy is. Possibly what combinations I could get with the PIX? Any info would be appreciated!

They are about $275 on ebay, otherwise I'd suggest CDW , Insight or other major resellers.

really nothing as long as the item you get (if used) isn't DOA.

ZoT said:
really nothing as long as the item you get (if used) isn't DOA.

Remeber that Cisco product licenses are non-transferable so if you buy used you will not be eligible for product upgrades, SMARTnet, etc. without purchasing another license from Cisco...

^thanks, didnt think about that..

Also what would be the difference between getting a PIX 501 and lets say a 1721?

Are you learning for work or for a potential new career? I only ask because the Cisco reps I've been talking with are telling me the PIX is about to reach a fast forwarded "end of life" for their new ASA integrations. I play on the PIX 5xx here and it's awesome, but it's getting long in the tooth.

typhoon43 said:
Are you learning for work or for a potential new career? I only ask because the Cisco reps I've been talking with are telling me the PIX is about to reach a fast forwarded "end of life" for their new ASA integrations. I play on the PIX 5xx here and it's awesome, but it's getting long in the tooth.

the ASA's are nice. but i dont believe they will replacing their PIX line anytime soon. Maybe 5 years down the line but not within the next 12 months. As for the cisco reps telling you to get the ASA over the PIX, it all depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. Bare in mind, they ASA are more $$$ than your pix equivalent. But dont expect the PIX to be faded out any time soon.

jonw757 said:
Im thinking about possibly getting a PIX for home use so I can learn on it. Just not sure exactly where a good place to buy is. Possibly what combinations I could get with the PIX? Any info would be appreciated!

I got several units off Craigslist with no problems. Whatever is the cheapest i say. Its for home, so no need to drop $1000 on a firewall for SOHO usuage.

Learning to become more well rounded. Never really got to play with them before, so figured this would be one way, they are somewhat cheap. Newegg has them for $350.

killerasp said:
the ASA's are nice. but i dont believe they will replacing their PIX line anytime soon. Maybe 5 years down the line but not within the next 12 months. As for the cisco reps telling you to get the ASA over the PIX, it all depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is. Bare in mind, they ASA are more $$$ than your pix equivalent. But dont expect the PIX to be faded out any time soon.
Also remember that the PIX 5xx series do not do application layer filtering.

isn't it a general rule of thumb that if you really wanna learn FW, you can just take an old PC and install any of the open source FW on it and it's about the same? after all, most of the configs rely on ACL.

Back