Where to buy netowrk hardware/suggestions

gta95

Limp Gawd
I am looking into redoing my network setup, and I have some questions.

1. Where do I buy Racks for servers/switches, and where should I buy server cases for these racks?

2. Where can I find rackmount switches? I want it so that I can setup servers on the rack, and have a small, inexpensive switch to connect all the servers to the network.

3. What are some good inexpensive racks/server cases to buy?

BUMP before thread falls off page. CMON quit ignoring me, I need answers

no one's ignoring you; you just posted around when people were getting off work, and doing dinner/beer/etc..

business? cdw.com

personally, I've used starcase.com for my company's rack. It was cheap, easy to assemble, and completely customizable.

Racks/Cabinets...APC Netshelter! All sorts of various sizes ..up to complete data center solutions. VERY nice setups....I've worked with quite a few brands, I prefer these.

What do you need to enclose? How many?

As for switches...when you get the business grade models, they usually come with mounting brackets.

I want to see if I can move about 2-3 servers to a rackmount, and have a switch connected to them, and have that switch connected to the network. Im starting to think that will be too expensive. I may just sit all the servers on the floor in the back, and have a monitor and kb/m setup and a switch between them. I just thought a rackmount would be fun to setup, but they look way outta my price range.

gta95 said:
I want to see if I can move about 2-3 servers to a rackmount, and have a switch connected to them, and have that switch connected to the network. Im starting to think that will be too expensive. I may just sit all the servers on the floor in the back, and have a monitor and kb/m setup and a switch between them. I just thought a rackmount would be fun to setup, but they look way outta my price range.

Well don't forget you can 1/2 sized ones...would be fine for 2-3 servers, a switch...get a rack mounted APC battery backup unit on the bottom...look nice 'n neat. Still have a slide out KB tray. Monitor inside.

Hmm, I don't really thing I want to setup a rack until my network really grows, which it doesn't look like. So I guess ill just setup some servers somewhere and have a switch for them.

If your thinking that this is a little expensive for you there is always the DIY option. I have a link to a guy who did a really nice job of it for himself.

http://rack.modzone.dk/index.htm

This would take more time than money and some skill but the result would definitly be something to show off to your friends.

That desktop rack scares me. I wouldn't suggest putting anything with much depth or weight on it. It's really not meant for servers, more for patch panel/small switch setups. As others have meantioned, ebay is a great place to find networking equipment, especially for SOHO. You might see if you can find a half-height cabinet on there rather than a desktop rack.

-Chris

Back