Where to buy netowrk hardware/suggestions

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by gta95, Jan 31, 2006.

1. gta95

gta95 Limp Gawd

I am looking into redoing my network setup, and I have some questions.

1. Where do I buy Racks for servers/switches, and where should I buy server cases for these racks?

2. Where can I find rackmount switches? I want it so that I can setup servers on the rack, and have a small, inexpensive switch to connect all the servers to the network.

3. What are some good inexpensive racks/server cases to buy?

2. gta95

gta95 Limp Gawd

BUMP before thread falls off page. CMON quit ignoring me, I need answers

3. illumina315

illumina315 Limp Gawd

no one's ignoring you; you just posted around when people were getting off work, and doing dinner/beer/etc..

business? cdw.com

personally, I've used starcase.com for my company's rack. It was cheap, easy to assemble, and completely customizable.

4. Prodigy1980

Prodigy1980 n00bie

ebay's always a good source for alot of that stuff.... sweet deals on cases and racks n such

5. QwertyJuan

QwertyJuan [H]ardForum Junkie

ANother vote for ebay!

QJ

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Racks/Cabinets...APC Netshelter! All sorts of various sizes ..up to complete data center solutions. VERY nice setups....I've worked with quite a few brands, I prefer these.

What do you need to enclose? How many?

As for switches...when you get the business grade models, they usually come with mounting brackets.

7. gta95

gta95 Limp Gawd

I want to see if I can move about 2-3 servers to a rackmount, and have a switch connected to them, and have that switch connected to the network. Im starting to think that will be too expensive. I may just sit all the servers on the floor in the back, and have a monitor and kb/m setup and a switch between them. I just thought a rackmount would be fun to setup, but they look way outta my price range.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Well don't forget you can 1/2 sized ones...would be fine for 2-3 servers, a switch...get a rack mounted APC battery backup unit on the bottom...look nice 'n neat. Still have a slide out KB tray. Monitor inside.

9. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

blackbox, cdw, dandh

10. movax

movax 2[H]4U

CDW. Got a Belkin 16-port GigE switch for $90 shipped. Love 'em.

11. gta95

gta95 Limp Gawd

Hmm, I don't really thing I want to setup a rack until my network really grows, which it doesn't look like. So I guess ill just setup some servers somewhere and have a switch for them.

12. gta95

gta95 Limp Gawd

Sorry for another bump. Will that rack fit 4U and 2U servers?

13. ethos747474nikon8989

ethos747474nikon8989 Limp Gawd

If your thinking that this is a little expensive for you there is always the DIY option. I have a link to a guy who did a really nice job of it for himself.

http://rack.modzone.dk/index.htm

This would take more time than money and some skill but the result would definitly be something to show off to your friends.

14. chrisdodds

chrisdodds [H]Lite

That desktop rack scares me. I wouldn't suggest putting anything with much depth or weight on it. It's really not meant for servers, more for patch panel/small switch setups. As others have meantioned, ebay is a great place to find networking equipment, especially for SOHO. You might see if you can find a half-height cabinet on there rather than a desktop rack.

-Chris