Where to buy barebone gaming desktop

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by NTJedi, Dec 12, 2016.

1. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

This is probably a question for the veteran system builders in the forums especially since nobody has responded. So I've researched all the parts I want for my next build, however I don't want the hassle of testing the motherboard, CPU, SSD drives and powersupply the first time the computer boots up because of all the hassles involved with investigation and replacing what arrived as broken.

MWave.com use to test these components before shipping, but that's no longer available. Does anyone know of quality places which will test these components as a combo package before shipping? Thanks in advance.

Here's my planned design:
    GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 6 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-6500 6MB
    G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200
    GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060IXOC-3GD
    SAMSUNG 250GB 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW - for Raid 1
    SAMSUNG 250GB 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW - for Raid 1
    SeaSonic 650W G Series SSR-650RM - 80plus Gold
    Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers reusing from previous system.
    ENERMAX Ostrog GT ECA3280A-BR Black / Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

Still asking... does ANYONE know of online stores which will test barebone parts before they're shipped?

3. LigTasm

LigTasm 2[H]4U

I've never heard of such a thing, if they're going to take them out of the box they're going to build you a PC and send it to you, aka a prebuilt machine. I can't imagine what hassle you're trying to avoid, components are pretty foolproof these days.

4. evilwon

evilwon [H]Lite

Bingo...you will either have to do it yourself, pay someone to do it, or buy a pre-built - since that is essentially what you are asking for but with your own parts. Hell, I'll do it but I'm charging you for it and shipping. Thus killing any type of deal you think it is since I'd have to RMA anything that isn't working.

https://pchound.com/PhgyfR/

5. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

Found a local computer store which will handle the testing and RMAs of a new system for $100.oo. They overcharge an extra $150 for handling the install of the operating system. Unfortunately I found them when buying a cable after I've already built my computer. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I sweat bullets wondering if my system will reach the BIOS the first time. Handling the software is the easy piece for me.

6. dvsman

dvsman Gawd

Either it boots or it doesn't.

Most of the time, if you pay attention and don't try to rush, it will boot with no issues. Out of decades of building my own PCs, I've only had maybe 2 non-starts. Even then there will be error lights / messages to help you deal with it.

Don't buy super-cheap parts and you'll lessen the odds of a failure. But even if you buy the best of the best, there's always the chance that a part was a Friday or Monday part and will take a crap.

If you hire a shop to test it, they will still have to deal with RMAs on dead parts, so it won't really save any down-time.

Plus, RAID 1 on such a small drive? What's that all about?

7. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

200+ GBs will be plenty of gaming space for my RAID 1 ... not sure what games you're playing where you need more space.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

What town are you in?

Somebody on [H] would help you for beer & pizza I imagine.

mls1995 and Shadohh like this.
  9. cdabc123

cdabc123 Gawd

you seam fairly superstitious op. i vote you go and get shitfaced then go online and order everything. but with a 1070 instead ;) and maybye onle one drive raid 1 isnt really nessisary unless you have absolutly unlosable data on it. my main rig has 5 older ssd's in raid 0 (no redundancy :p) and i havent had a issue. as far as parts go i order ALOT and havent yet had a dead part (minus one finiky 980 ti)

Shadohh likes this.
  10. Shadohh

Shadohh Gawd

Just buy your components off amazon ,send them back if they dont work.

What are you trying to accomplish by getting them pretested besides throwing money away? I mean, buy a fully built ASUS ROG or DELL gaming pc. They are tested.

Not sure what games you play but I would like to point out that Titan2 is a 45GB game; or about 25% of your intended storage.

I do not see a raid card on your list, so I assume you will be using the chipset software raid. It is flaky at best, I would skip it. Not sure why you need to back up game data. You really only need save files and they will be in your user directory in windows.

1060 is adequate for 1080p, I would go 1070 personally.

mls1995 likes this.
  11. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

The RAID 1 is primarily for keeping the OS and installed games working... even if one of the SSD harddrives die this design means I can still enjoy a weekend of gaming and choose when to deal with the dead harddrive. For example my brother had one harddrive on his system... it completely died. Sure he had "some" save game backups, but he spent his entire weekend buying an overpriced harddrive, reinstalling the OS, reinstalling the motherboard drivers, reinstalling graphic card drivers, reinstalling the games, reinstalling anti-virus and tons of other software. It was so painful for him, it made me recognize a scary situation which I can avoid by having a RAID 1. Working in the IT Industry, I can tell you when an SSD drive goes bad 99% of the time it's completely dead.

As far as diskspace... most games are below 15GBs in size and I typically only have a dozen games installed. I can easily buy an SSD in the future for less money if I need more space. No reason for me to spend more money when my calculations show I have more than enough which will include games of large diskspace such as GTA 5.

12. cdabc123

cdabc123 Gawd

ok. their is a tiny chance of it failing in the next few years but that is your choice. I did take a closer look at your build and it raises some questions. you chose a expencive z170 board for a locked prosseser? was that just to get the two m.2 slots. if so it may be cheaper (and faster) to buy a nice pcie ssd that alows you to raid each cell so you can still have redundancy and save some and get a h170 mobo. I would REALLY try to get away from the 1060 (espetially the 3gig vertion) i personaly would buy a used 980 ti or somthing around that but judging by what i have read so far i dought you would be up to that so i would try to get a 1070.

Shadohh likes this.
  13. dvsman

dvsman Gawd

I've got a single drive NVME boot but 99% of everything else is running off of my 4x 1tb SSD RAID 0 (4TB of flying by the seat of your pants = no redundancy RAID0). If shit is going to crash, it's going to crash. I've had to reload windows (for parts swaps, mobo upgrades, just bored) reasons so many times, that I really don't mind doing it anymore. On fast SSDs with a decent internet connection it doesn't even take that long to do anymore - and I'm talking from clicking the last hardware bit to booting into windows.

Two things:

1) I'd rather have 500gb of usable space that's reliable 99% of the time, vs 250gb of usable space that's reliable 100% of the time. For me personally, in my experience modern gear seriously does not die that easy. But as a person that has backup machines, I guess my [H] perspective is skewed a bit on the issue of downtime vs. regular normal non-[H] folks.

2) As for IT crap ... office IT / servers - being on 24/7 - have a likely higher crap rate just based upon "hours On" compared to a regular home PC I would think. I know I don't leave my home PCs on all the time.

14. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

Shadohh likes this.
  15. Savoy

Savoy 2[H]4U

Also avadirect allows you to pick and customize just about any part you want to your build. They are reasonably priced and they build clean. Just a heads up for you.