Where to buy a video card?

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5870. I've had Nvidia for a long time (since my GF2, maybe longer), simply because that's what I got good deals on. I've heard all the horror stories of ATI drivers, and I've heard that they're really not that bad now, and I've heard about GSoD stuff, etc.

I'd really like to get one that I can actually put in my system and try out, but return if I don't like it. Best Buy was always great for this. Back when I worked there, I think I tried every single card they carried until I found the best one with no problems. Looking at their return policy, it seems to be pretty much the same and applicable to online orders too. However, they don't have the 5870 in the store and their only one listed online is sold out.

I was looking at TigerDirect's return policy too. It doesn't mention that the item has to be defective or anything, just that it has to meet their guidelines (i.e. be like-new) and be returned properly.
  • Products must be in the original manufacturers packaging, and shipped securely
  • Products must be complete with any standard certification labels (UL listing, capacity, brand name, UPC code) originally placed and not tampered with.
  • Product serial number, or any similar identification numbers, must match the serial number on the package or invoice (TigerDirect.com maintains serial number tracking).
  • Products must be free from damage of any type, including, but not limited to dents, scratches, cracks, abuse, defacement or indication of removed screws/fasteners or seals.
  • Products so labeled with a security seal, must have the seal intact and not tampered with.

I'd have to pay return shipping with TD, but that's not a huge deal to me. I'd prefer to be able to return it to a B&M, but return shipping isn't a complete deal killer. I'm not trying to screw anyone here, but I don't want to get screwed and be stuck with a product that doesn't work for me. I don't want to have to pay a 15% restocking fee for something I had in my PC for a couple hours and which ended up not working well for me.

Anyone got any advice on which places are really good or really bad to deal with for returning a video card that's not completely broken (DOA, etc.), but just doesn't work well enough that you'd want to keep it? BB is really the only chain left around here that sells video cards.

I just called TigerDirect Customer Service and they verified that as long as you return everything as it arrived (i.e. no missing UPC or accessories, etc.), you have 30 days to return it without a restocking fee. You have to pay return shipping and I assume that they won't refund the original shipping cost (not mentioned on the Returns page and I forgot to ask), so it's not quite as good as B&M, but still very reasonable.

Back