where to buy 1 ft. to 1.5 ft gold plate toslink cable?

You realize that because it's an optical connector that the gold-plating has zero effect on anything related to the signal transfer, right? :)

And who says they don't have a braided 1.5 foot TOSlink cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3396

No, it's not a gold-plated housing but again that's irrelevant in the functionality of the cable unless you want that aspect just for show or something, but there's a 1.5 foot braided TOSlink from Monoprice. Was reading the marketing bullshit about that one from Prime Cable and laughed when I read this part:

Better Materials, Better Quality
Eliminating any chance for RFI, EMI, or ground loop interference
Gold-plated ferrule prevents corrosion and provides for maximum protection of the fiber tip

Good lord they hire some great liars with imagination I swear, it's an optical signal pathway and RFI, EMI, or ground loop interference is not a possibility in such a pathway. As for the corrosion thing, hard ABS plastic doesn't corrode either, go figure. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I see very few 1.5 foot toslink cables, none are gold plated and braided. The shortest run of baided toslink I can find is 3 feet.

edit - I also agree, your signal is optical and has nothing to do with gold conductiveness (I know that's not a word).

At least Monoprice is honest in their marketing speak:

Being an optical signal, Toslink is immune to problems that can plague electrical signals, such as crosstalk, magnetic interference, or radio frequency interference.

while other resellers push that bullshit on ignorant consumers *cough*MonsterCable*cough* and unfortunately the ignorant hordes drink the Kool-Aid and keep 'em in business, sadly.

You realize that because it's an optical connector that the gold-plating has zero effect on anything related to the signal transfer, right? :)

And who says they don't have a braided 1.5 foot TOSlink cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=3396

No, it's not a gold-plated housing but again that's irrelevant in the functionality of the cable unless you want that aspect just for show or something, but there's a 1.5 foot braided TOSlink from Monoprice. Was reading the marketing bullshit about that one from Prime Cable and laughed when I read this part:

Good lord they hire some great liars with imagination I swear, it's an optical signal pathway and RFI, EMI, or ground loop interference is not a possibility in such a pathway. As for the corrosion thing, hard ABS plastic doesn't corrode either, go figure. ;)

You know, I'm so used to buying gold plated cable, such as Digital Co-ax from Monoprice, when I search for short toslink, I automatically aim at gold plated. This would explain there is not that many gold plated toslink at ebay. Hey, thank you

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=404

just moments ago, someone sent me the above link. A few yr. ago, we laugh at those shockingly high USB cable, and now here we are again.

Kimber Kable is a famous brand name, and surprisingly, they have a 0.5 m cable at $61. But these goes against every we learned back in computer sc. school, where a digital signal is just a digital signal. And yet Audio Quest, Kimber Kable, etc. are telling you a different story.

So, is there really a difference? Kimber Kable charges as much as $1300+ per cable

The only thing that matters in an optical cable is the finish of the tips, and light leak. You can buy a $3 cable and get the same quality sound from optical. But if you'd like to waste your money on marketing hype, buy it and tell us how much better it sounds. :p

just moments ago, someone sent me the above link. A few yr. ago, we laugh at those shockingly high USB cable, and now here we are again.

Kimber Kable is a famous brand name, and surprisingly, they have a 0.5 m cable at $61. But these goes against every we learned back in computer sc. school, where a digital signal is just a digital signal. And yet Audio Quest, Kimber Kable, etc. are telling you a different story.

So, is there really a difference? Kimber Kable charges as much as $1300+ per cable

No cable in anything you ever do is worth that much.

Unless the cable is a few miles long.

Please go buy that cable, and make their day. Everyone at that company will thank you, all the way to the bank.

Please go buy that cable, and make their day. Everyone at that company will thank you, all the way to the bank.

that's why I am not buying cable of that kind of price. My portable DAC is only $600. But how does these co. stay open all these decades? Someone are buying it. I just couldn't help but wonder if there is a noticeable difference. I know Monster Cable is nothing but a junk $5 cable hype up to a few hundred $. But brand name like Audio Quest, Kimber Kable, etc. are real audio co. Regardless, I won't spend a few hundred on any cable

that's why I am not buying cable of that kind of price. My portable DAC is only $600. But how does these co. stay open all these decades? Someone are buying it. I just couldn't help but wonder if there is a noticeable difference. I know Monster Cable is nothing but a junk $5 cable hype up to a few hundred $. But brand name like Audio Quest, Kimber Kable, etc. are real audio co. Regardless, I won't spend a few hundred on any cable

There is NO difference for most "high end" audio gear. You're not buying technology or innovation. You're buying a brand name and bragging rights. It's just another great way to separate fools from their money.

So, is there really a difference?

Sure there's a difference: the amount of money you waste by purchasing one of those ridiculously overpriced cables that function exactly the same as that one I linked to at Monoprice, that's the difference. But hell, if you want to waste that kind of cash then I'll send you my PayPal address by a PM and you can thank me. ;)

But seriously, no, those companies are doing exactly what I said earlier: taking advantage of the ignorance of typical consumers, and even some not-so-typical consumers that simply choose to not give a shit. For me personally I find such things ludicrous and the fact that such companies exist and knowingly milk consumers for those crazy prices is a sad practice but that's just me. I've got a Timex watch I've had for 11 years now, tells me the time of day or night at a with a glance (it's an analog timepiece) and it cost me all of about $50 and change and as a bonus it lights up when I press the secondary button, how cool is that? :D

Contrast that with a $27,000 Rolex that doesn't light up at all and tells me pretty much the same time at a glance just like the Timex does. Yes I suppose people will argue that the Rolex is crafted by hand, made with so-called precious metals and other materials that I don't put much value on at all to be honest, I'm weird in that respect I suppose.

Personally, the Timex wins as far as I'm concerned - the Indiglo, man, that's the ticket. ;)

I feel pretty much the same about any device or use of technology: bloated pricing for something that does the same thing and has the same goal just doesn't suit me so I'm all about getting the most bang for the buck as the saying goes. I'm not going to give a company any more money than what I consider to be a decent price on something - that usually works out to the raw cost of the materials (not that difficult to figure out these days for most any product of any kind) + ~30% to account for R&D/manufacturing/distribution/workers/etc.

Going off-base here but regardless: optical cables are optical cables just like RCA cables are RCA cables like... well you should get the point by now. Yes it is technically a possibility that one cable might have - on paper - something that a computerized measurement might note to 5 decimal places but as far as we humans, analog from birth to death, are concerned there's no difference aside from that wasted cash.

My favorite piece of bullshit marketing and double-speak ever? Try this (link goes to Archive.org because the original webpage is long since gone the way of the dinosaurs):

A wooden volume control knob, only $485...

Scariest thing of all? They sold a few thousand of those over the years.

My favorite piece of bullshit marketing and double-speak ever? Try this (link goes to Archive.org because the original webpage is long since gone the way of the dinosaurs):

A wooden volume control knob, only $485...

Scariest thing of all? They sold a few thousand of those over the years.

Five hundred dollar piece of wood with brass inset nut? FUCKING SERIUOSLY?!?!?!

Monster needs to step up their fucking game.

Also: Just use a fucking coat hanger.

http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

well, I bought the $4 digital coax from monoprice for my upcoming SACD player in Dec. As to Toslink, the $2 cable so far play very nicely(y)

Back