Where the Tech Jobs Are

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, I have a hard time believing anyone knows “where the tech jobs are” (any job for that matter) but maybe they know something we don't. If you are from one of the towns listed, feel free to let us know what the deal is with tech jobs in your area.

Gone are the days when working with computers meant moving to the West Coast – being ushered in is a new class of tech capitols. The following surprising cities feature some of the most tech jobs per capita outside of Cali.

Ohh... I need to look into New Mexico. Property values and taxes are good and you're knocking on Arizona's door.

most of the jobs out there right now are high level positions at companies trying to scope up people from companies that are falling apart.

Every few months one of these articles comes up about some other place in the world trying to steal some of the thunder from Silicon Valley / the SF Bay Area.

In the same time period another major corporation opens another R&D lab there and several dozen start ups spin up operations...

Where the Tech Jobs Are
"You see this desert we're walking through?
It used to be all mountains, as far as the eye could see.
Then, the mountains turned into rocks.
Then, the rocks all turned to this sand.
Soon...
Well, soon, it will be just dust.
I'm scared because...
I don't know what comes after dust."

Gone are the days when working with computers meant moving to the West Coast

Thank god, because seriously having one area where you "must go" to get a job is just not good news. The SF Bay Area is forever fucked up due to the dot-com boom, why all these companies needed to be in the Bay Area I'll never know, housing prices are jacked up, traffic is jacked up, open space is no longer so open, and worst of all most of those in those fields didn't move back to where they came when the jobs went away further making getting a job outside the field much more difficult.

Also, Boulder, CO is about as hipster as you can be without being on the West Coast...

Huntsville, here. Redstone Arsenal and the Marshall Space Flight Center drive most to the jobs in the area. Sanmina-SCI has a pretty big presence here, too.

There is a surprising amount of tech related companies in Utah also. Slc, Provo, Orem, etc.

For an article about where the tech jobs are at they missed a huge location: Silicon Valley 2. Also known as the MD/VA tech mega block. There are no shortage of IT jobs in the area which helps sustain both state economies.

It's not like Austin became a tech center recently. Dell, National Instruments, AMD, Freescale. It sounds like the author just found out Austin even exists.

For an article about where the tech jobs are at they missed a huge location: Silicon Valley 2. Also known as the MD/VA tech mega block. There are no shortage of IT jobs in the area which helps sustain both state economies.

Probably an offspring of the DC area and all the government influence in that circle. A TON of major corporations have large offices in the area served by Dulless Int'l Airport (is it even called that anymore?) and the general DC suburbs, and they have IT demands like no other because tons of people like to telecommute because the Beltway is a nightmare.

most of the jobs out there right now are high level positions at companies trying to scope up people from companies that are falling apart.

Yep especially in the Seattle area (speaking from experience). Almost every tech job opening begins with the word "Senior" or "Director."

austin has been a tech mecca since the fucking 90s.

awesome city to live in too, if you can stand the summers(which are like 8 months out of the year)

Don't count on the west coast for IT jobs. It looks like Jerry Brown will be the next Govenor, and that they will lower the budget vote to a simple majority (instead of 2/3).
Between the new regulations & higher taxes, there should be a flood of businesses leaving California within a year. I'm forcasting 15% unemployment by early 2012.

DC area is booming for IT jobs. I get calls from recruiters at least once per week asking if I'm available - I work in databases/data warehousing field.

India, China, Mexico, Costa Rica, Philippines, that russian place.

I don't know where any jobs are, being laid off since December 09'. I'd love to have any computer type of job right now building, repairing, network doesn't really matter.

Did this article fall out of a time warp from 1995? The only waves Dell and Micron are making are in courtrooms.

yep, this is where i'm looking to go after school provided i don't get an offer i can't refuse on the west coast.

I don't know where any jobs are. I'd love to have any computer type of job right now building, repairing, network doesn't really matter.

Same here.:(

Haven't had a job in some time now and i'm still looking. At this point i'll take pretty much anything.

Can't find much here on the East coast..

Same here.:(

Haven't had a job in some time now and i'm still looking. At this point i'll take pretty much anything.

Can't find much here on the East coast..

It's unfortunate many people lost their jobs. Out of curiousity, what did you get a degree in?

It's unfortunate many people lost their jobs. Out of curiousity, what did you get a degree in?

Haven't gotten my degree yet, after HS i joined up as an intern in the IT department at a local company, after that i've been looking for a job since then. I'm currently looking into just going to a local community college as i know they actually have on campus jobs, so i can work and go to school.

I'm really not all that surprised with Boise, Idaho. Course, I'm from Twin Falls, Idaho. You have Micron and HP there. There's all the government jobs, like contract positions from the Navy, Air National Guard, etc there too. Some of them chose the location cause of Boise State being there. Fresh college grads that'll take just about any comp job and for less money. Not that a person needs a huge amount of money in Boise anyways, as it's a low cost living area.

Did this article fall out of a time warp from 1995? The only waves Dell and Micron are making are in courtrooms.

Except that Micron has been making some of the best memory chips on the market. Course Micron shows up in court for the same thing over and over again. Price fixing back in 98-02.

I tried to get a tech job. Wetnt to a tech school got A+ certified. Working retail selling computers and phones. Not even close to a tech job. The IT job market took a major hit. they now hire people with 5-10 years of experience so they don't have to train them and have skeleton crews. And people who just got out of school cannot find anything. Most of the jobs are contract, temporary, or nonexistent. All of the requiremtns are not 3-5 yeas experience minimum and they want you to have certs in so much. This happened in Octoberin 2008. Before then an A+ cert and an associates degree was all one needed to get an entry level IT job for $35-$45K a year. Also Nursing and teaching jobs have filled up and are not feeling the same pain. :eek:

I tried to get a tech job. Wetnt to a tech school got A+ certified. Working retail selling computers and phones. Not even close to a tech job. The IT job market took a major hit. they now hire people with 5-10 years of experience so they don't have to train them and have skeleton crews. And people who just got out of school cannot find anything. Most of the jobs are contract, temporary, or nonexistent. All of the requiremtns are not 3-5 yeas experience minimum and they want you to have certs in so much. This happened in Octoberin 2008. Before then an A+ cert and an associates degree was all one needed to get an entry level IT job for $35-$45K a year. Also Nursing and teaching jobs have filled up and are not feeling the same pain. :eek:

That all depends on where you live. There will always been a market for IT in specific areas, where demand for employees simply aren't met.

This is how it was for me when I graduated in '03, and honestly, that's pretty normal these days. I sent out over 50 applications in 3 months and never got so much as a call back. I was getting ready to give up and go back to school, I had already enrolled for the next semester, then I got an interview with a small company looking for an entry level programmer. I had to start off working for peanuts (~$10 and hour) until I got some experience, but I was sooo happy to get the job. It's very frustrating though, you have to have experience to get experience. Now that I'm a senior level developer I have places calling me all the time trying to hire me, because there is a shortage of senior devs here (Oklahoma City). Every time they call I think, "You know why there is such a shortage of senior guys? Because nobody can get started in this field, because nobody will give a new a guy a chance!".

Where's this mythical location? Bangalore?

I have no probs going back home and getting a network job or going to Boise for one. Course you're going to need more experience than a college grad with nothing more than some crappy CompTIA certs.

Don't count on the west coast for IT jobs. It looks like Jerry Brown will be the next Govenor, and that they will lower the budget vote to a simple majority (instead of 2/3).
Between the new regulations & higher taxes, there should be a flood of businesses leaving California within a year. I'm forcasting 15% unemployment by early 2012.
So true. Grew up here and now I'm regretting moving to another city, within the same state, 2 years ago. Should have moved out of state while I had the option.
Pretty much ever job I have held in the last 20 years was moved out of state or out of country. I don't understand why everyone is so anti-business in this state, you need people working to pay all the taxes.

So true. Grew up here and now I'm regretting moving to another city, within the same state, 2 years ago. Should have moved out of state while I had the option.
Pretty much ever job I have held in the last 20 years was moved out of state or out of country. I don't understand why everyone is so anti-business in this state, you need people working to pay all the taxes.

I don't think they are anti-business as much as they are, greedy. They want to spend buckets of money, while not having enough to actually do that. So they just keep increasing taxes, which not only drives away businesses, but also their employees. Not to mention ppl who are just fed up with all the taxes.

You'd never get me to move to California. Closest you could get me to living there is Lake Tahoe, on the Nevada side.

I have no probs going back home and getting a network job or going to Boise for one. Course you're going to need more experience than a college grad with nothing more than some crappy CompTIA certs.

Who can pick up and move? Most people with any money whatsoever actually own their homes.

Who can pick up and move? Most people with any money whatsoever actually own their homes.

Lots of ppl can pick up and move. It happens all the time. Those with money can afford to pick up and move. They just have to spend a little time selling their home or renting it out. Those who don't own homes, probably don't have that much crap anyways. So it shouldn't be much of a problem to pick up and move either.

You don't just pick up and move for no reason. You get a job first, then move to it.

Back