Where my Prusa bros at?

klippel

Limp Gawd
I have a mk3s and a mini and i have the XL on pre-order. I used to make a killing selling custom car badges but have had some family issues pop up that took up most of my free time.
I figure maybe talking about printing on these badass machines here will inspire me to get back into it.
also, i have become notorious for printing little dickbutt magnets and leaving them...everywhere.

So, what are you guys printing!?

YcJL6qi.jpeg

We love ours.

Nothing wrong with em' as a printer. Just overpriced for what they are nowadays unless you really need that official support. Any Ender clone will print just as good, and for the money of a prusa you could build a Voron.

Nothing wrong with em' as a printer. Just overpriced for what they are nowadays unless you really need that official support. Any Ender clone will print just as good, and for the money of a prusa you could build a Voron.
For sure! We have a raise3d at work and my voron prints circles around it. Prusas are nice and i have wanted one just didnt know what need it would fulfill with a voron v0, ender 3, cr10s on my bench currently

For sure! We have a raise3d at work and my voron prints circles around it. Prusas are nice and i have wanted one just didnt know what need it would fulfill with a voron v0, ender 3, cr10s on my bench currently
Yeah idk, at my work at a large university I've seen labs running both Prusas and generic China printers both doing the same projects. I imagine it really comes down to bias towards "official" product and again, if you really need that level of support.

I bought mine after some reading up on 3d printing and didnt want to spend a bunch of time tinkering and tweaking. Also they are way quieter than a lot of cheap printers. i got a chiron later because i wanted a larger bed and sold it because it was so much louder, finickier and lacked so many QOL features the prusas have out of the box. Now i have a CR20 Pro that i got in a trade and am on the brink of selling it even though the biggest downside is the noise currently. They do still have a place in the market but i get that a lot of people do not want to shell out the cash for one.

Mk4 just announced! Probably going to upgrade from my Mk3s+, perfect first layer every time is the dream.

And entirely different worlds. Prusa is starting to look like the Blackberry of the 3d printer world. More similarities than you’d initially think.
Yup. Mk3 has looked behind for ages now. In a world of light weight direct extrusion, ceramic heaters, klipper firmware, corexy printers....

I have a MK4 either arriving today or tomorrow. Pretty excited for it and the no live calibration. To many times I am changing nozzles for different diameters, filament types (Carbon Fiber, etc), or different sheets. The sheet profiles helped a bit, but always found that slight adjustments had to be made. Might just be a me thing, but finding myself less in the mood these days to "tinker" with the printer and rather have a "upload and print" experience with minimal hassle.

I have a MK4 either arriving today or tomorrow. Pretty excited for it and the no live calibration. To many times I am changing nozzles for different diameters, filament types (Carbon Fiber, etc), or different sheets. The sheet profiles helped a bit, but always found that slight adjustments had to be made. Might just be a me thing, but finding myself less in the mood these days to "tinker" with the printer and rather have a "upload and print" experience with minimal hassle.
Let us know how it is! I'm debating whether or not I should upgrade to that or a CoreXY.

Eh, the loadcell could be neat. Besides that I'd rather build a Voron.

Though maybe my friend should save up for this. He's hopelessly bad at tuning his ender 3 and kind of refuses to learn.

Let us know how it is! I'm debating whether or not I should upgrade to that or a CoreXY.
Looks like DHL has it coming today....assuming a tornado doesn't take out the truck or my house (lots of alerts right now where im at). Ill post something later this week/weekend on impressions and results.

Not slinging a bed around is just such a huge advantage in speed and stability.

Prusa should really be moving onto that instead of doing yet another slinger.
Some die hards will cling to slingers if history is any indicator. Im personally glad to see some innovation in a otherwise semi stagnant area.

bed slingers are cheaper with a smaller footprint, so they do have value in their design. I myself like corexy cuz i like the x and y movement to be of a similar mass and direction change. Drawing with corexy feels more like how you would draw with your hand instead of one hand moves the paper and the other moves the pen. They are also more interesting to watch.

that said this mk4 does look nice.

I get the upgrade itch some times, recently for a bambu (CoreXY) and now slightly for a Mk4. But at the end of the day I don't know that I print enough to justify the $$$. I'll stick with my Mk3+ for a while longer.

Vorons, while cool, seem really intimidating to build and a full Voron 2.4 is pricey. Maybe next lifetime.

I get the upgrade itch some times, recently for a bambu (CoreXY) and now slightly for a Mk4. But at the end of the day I don't know that I print enough to justify the $$$. I'll stick with my Mk3+ for a while longer.

Vorons, while cool, seem really intimidating to build and a full Voron 2.4 is pricey. Maybe next lifetime.
I built a v0.1 and it was fun. took a while but you have to approach it like building a model car or something, just a project. If you are just trying to rush to the end to get the printer it will be stressful. I will say though that little voron does most of my printing, but that has lessened a bit as of late. I would love to build a 2.4 but for not printing as much anymore, hard to justify atm.

I built a v0.1 and it was fun. took a while but you have to approach it like building a model car or something, just a project.
If I was gonna build one, I would definitely start with a 0.1. I think at the time there was a Voron craze starting and I wanted to buy a kit with everything I would need. I looked into a LDO kit and decided to go with it but for the next month I could never find it in stock.

Out of curiosity, did you go with a kit or did you just source everything yourself?

What’s the difference between a 0.1 and 2.4? I know nothing about Vorons, but 0.1 sounds like an alpha version to me lol

What’s the difference between a 0.1 and 2.4? I know nothing about Vorons, but 0.1 sounds like an alpha version to me lol
It's much smaller and a good starting spot for a potential novice builder. Check their website if your curious https://vorondesign.com/ they also have an excellent discord channel.

I see they have a 0.2 now. Not gonna lie, getting the itch again! Seems like the kits are pricier than I remember. Close to an entry level Bambu or a Prusa Mk4 kit.

It's much smaller and a good starting spot for a potential novice builder. Check their website if your curious https://vorondesign.com/ they also have an excellent discord channel.

I see they have a 0.2 now. Not gonna lie, getting the itch again! Seems like the kits are pricier than I remember. Close to an entry level Bambu or a Prusa Mk4 kit.
Interesting. Would you say the 0.2 is an upgrade over the Prusa?

Interesting. Would you say the 0.2 is an upgrade over the Prusa?
The 0.2's build plate is much smaller, but prints much faster. The build volume on the 0.2 is 120mm^3 while the Prusa has a 250 x 210 x 210 mm. I only own the Prusa, but it's a slow, quality, dependable printer. Slow only in regard to some of the newer printers such as the Voron.

If I had to choose one or the other, I think I would still stick to the Prusa, but the Voron's speed is very impressive.

Edit: The video isn't a stock printer, I think stock is roughly half as fast, but you get the idea.

The 0.2's build plate is much smaller, but prints much faster. The build volume on the 0.2 is 120mm^3 while the Prusa has a 250 x 210 x 210 mm. I only own the Prusa, but it's a slow, quality, dependable printer. Slow only in regard to some of the newer printers such as the Voron.

If I had to choose one or the other, I think I would still stick to the Prusa, but the Voron's speed is very impressive.

Edit: The video isn't a stock printer, I think stock is roughly half as fast, but you get the idea.

Holy crap, that is fast. Hmm, gives me something to think about. I think I'd use my printer more if I could bang out prints that fast, but yeah that build plate size isn't great.

Depends what it's doing. By default anywhere between 20mm/s for the first layer to 200mm/s for infill. You can edit the values.

View attachment 561970
Huh....yeah, that's pretty slow by really any Ender 3 printer running something like 2209 stepper drivers to perform input shaping/resonance compensation. It's nice the Mk4 will have that stuff, but it's really, really late to the party.
Screenshot 2023-04-05 193430.png

Current Voxelab Aquila settings. Acceleration also matters a lot, too. 3k is pretty standard for any decent klipper setup. I've seen people go up to 5k or so once you get your mechanics dialed in pretty good.

Huh....yeah, that's pretty slow by really any Ender 3 printer running something like 2209 stepper drivers to perform input shaping/resonance compensation. It's nice the Mk4 will have that stuff, but it's really, really late to the party.
Well those where just defaults, the Ender 3's defaults aren't all that great, I remember them to be averaging 60mm/s when I looked into an Ender. If you've got it running at 130mm/s and the quality is good, then good work tunning and knowing your printer. Plenty of people run their Prusa's at ~200 or even 300mm/s. Here is a link with more info. Link

"reports from the community state that the Ender 3 can achieve decent prints even at 100-120 mm/s, with the manufacturer’s specs stating 180 mm/s as a maximum (for travel movements).

On the Prusa, users say they are able to run the printer at around 150 mm/s. Moreover, Prusa Research declares that the MK3S is able to print with a maximum travel velocity of 300 mm/s."

Those still seem slow with the Voron's average default of 500mm/sec or the 0.1 from the video at 1000mm/s. Other CoreXY printers seem just as fast.

Well those where just defaults, the Ender 3's defaults aren't all that great, I remember them to be averaging 60mm/s when I looked into an Ender. If you've got it running at 130mm/s and the quality is good, then good work tunning and knowing your printer. Plenty of people run their Prusa's at ~200 or even 300mm/s. Here is a link with more info. Link

"reports from the community state that the Ender 3 can achieve decent prints even at 100-120 mm/s, with the manufacturer’s specs stating 180 mm/s as a maximum (for travel movements).

On the Prusa, users say they are able to run the printer at around 150 mm/s. Moreover, Prusa Research declares that the MK3S is able to print with a maximum travel velocity of 300 mm/s."

Those still seem slow with the Voron's average default of 500mm/sec or the 0.1 from the video at 1000mm/s.
Oh no doubt, Vorons easily beat even the best slinger setups. But my printer started at a measly $60 :D. They key though is firmware settings. That's why I mention the input shaping and resonance compensation. Those are the only way to get quality at high speeds, and more importantly, high acceleration.

Acceleration is really they key to high speed printing. It's what creates the short, sharp jerky motions that make bad quality. You have to compensate for that. Anybody can lay down a long flat line at 200 mm/sec as long as the flow rate keeps up. But what about, idk, a benchy? Or something else detailed with a lot of small layers? Low acceleration means you never get even close to the speed setting you put in.

When somebody says "I print at 200mm/sec", well, it really means nothing. If that's at like, 500mm-1000mm/sec accel, you almost never see that speed.

Back