Where is Vista SP1?

The Release Candidate is out, and the final should be out by early February. A lot of people are running the RC version without issues, but the differences aren't huge.

They are realy going to have a service pack for Vista, I thought they were going to scrap this OS and move on to something else.

Must please the indians for a while.:D

Last I read it is due out in late January/early February if the RC1 works out.....

Most of what is in SP1 is actually available to download from the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I don't know why these patches haven't been part of windows update. But they are there and address a number of issues.

I don't know why these patches haven't been part of windows update.

What would they include in the SP?

All the updates included are fairly minor... Nothing huge like XP SP2.

I think Microsoft needs to appease the ignorant folks who "Wait for SP1" to get them onboard. ;)

Well, there are performance fixes, so that is definitely good for the crowd that feels the existing Vista is slow with things such as I/O and networking. Given that I have a NAS box that I use as a file server, I am really looking forward to this service pack, and possibly getting 40 MB/s transfer rates consistently. :D

I think there will be as many service packs as needed, vista will get patched the way xp has been, and it shoul be. that said, I tried the RC, my system was much smoother and more responsive, and so was the internet speed, I can't wait the final SP.

I thought they were going to scrap this OS and move on to something else.

Not sure where you herd that, and im not sure why they would scrap a perfectly good OS.. its has alot going for it, and so far it works great.. yea its a bit slow but what new OS form M$ isnt? XP was slow when it came out, w2k was much faster.

Get off the h8ter bandwagon, or go mac :)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 will be out in mid to late January. That's the target: try and get it out before the consumer 1 year anniversary happens (January 31st). January is a big month for Microsoft with Vista SP1 coming out, XP SP3 coming out, Windows Server 2008 coming out, and a bunch of other stuff.

So hold your horses and polish your boots... and be patient.

I think there will be as many service packs as needed, vista will get patched the way xp has been, and it shoul be. that said, I tried the RC, my system was much smoother and more responsive, and so was the internet speed, I can't wait the final SP.

My vista 64 box was silky smooth before PC SP1. But I did notice my internet seemed faster after SP1

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 will be out in mid to late January. That's the target: try and get it out before the consumer 1 year anniversary happens (January 31st). January is a big month for Microsoft with Vista SP1 coming out, XP SP3 coming out, Windows Server 2008 coming out, and a bunch of other stuff.

So hold your horses and polish your boots... and be patient.

and SP1 for office 2007.

on the link i posted above, should i download RC1? Theres no real reason I shouldn't now is there?

I definitely want to try it out even if its not perfect, but i just built and OCed this machine and with 64 bit vista i dont want to risk any major incompatibilities but i think release candidates would be fine right?

There are some improvements.... for one LAN file sharing is finally useable.

I'm patiently waiting for XP SP3 , though

There are some improvements.... for one LAN file sharing is finally useable.

I'm patiently waiting for XP SP3 , though

really? lan file sharing is something i have been trying to do in vista to no success.

is it working now?

SP1 RC1 makes a dramatic difference with LAN transfers, yes. It's finally up to speed as it should have been, but it was worth the wait I suppose.

slight off-topic but
my major problem has been vista 64bit hp over lan to a 32bit xp pro laptop, trying to transfer files from the xp machine to vista....i havent even been able to get either of the systems to show up over lan

maybe if i get RC1 it will work better

What would they include in the SP?

All the updates included are fairly minor... Nothing huge like XP SP2.

I think Microsoft needs to appease the ignorant folks who "Wait for SP1" to get them onboard. ;)

The ONLY thing SP3 is for XP is a collection of all those patches. They just roll up everything into a single release to make things easier.

really? lan file sharing is something i have been trying to do in vista to no success.

is it working now?

I've never had any problems there. Vista straight out of the box with no patches and this works fine. I share across Vista 64bit, Vista 32bit and a Windows Home Server(Server 2003) box with no problems at all. I was recently repairing 2 laptops for someone, both running XP and I used both to access my network to grab files. No problems.

I've never had any problems there. Vista straight out of the box with no patches and this works fine. I share across Vista 64bit, Vista 32bit and a Windows Home Server(Server 2003) box with no problems at all. I was recently repairing 2 laptops for someone, both running XP and I used both to access my network to grab files. No problems.

I guess I dont know how to fully enable both systems to get this to work...maybe if someone could PM me with some resources or links i found this very complicated and it was not as straightforward as plug both in and change a setting or two, or if it is, im doing it wrong....I need to transfer music from laptop to newly rebuilt desktop!

I guess I dont know how to fully enable both systems to get this to work...maybe if someone could PM me with some resources or links i found this very complicated and it was not as straightforward as plug both in and change a setting or two, or if it is, im doing it wrong....I need to transfer music from laptop to newly rebuilt desktop!

both are in the same workgroup? If so you need to enable file sharing on the folder you are transfering from. Open windows explorer, right click on the folder and select properties. Click the sharing tab and then click share.
Then from your other computer you want to copy the files to open windows explorer and then click on network and you should then see that other computer in the list and can just navigate to the folder. It will most likely ask you for a username and password so enter the username/password on that computer. All of my computers have the same username/password on all of them so I don't enter anything.

and SP1 for office 2007.

Thought that was already out: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...94-992C-4165-A997-25DA01F388F5&displaylang=en

2121341099_f5a14a5b60.jpg

The ONLY thing SP3 is for XP is a collection of all those patches. They just roll up everything into a single release to make things easier.

Actually, this is incorrect. XP SP3 introduces some "new" features related to security and networking that are 'back-ported' from Vista to the XP platform. So, it's not just patches because those "new" features aren't part of any currently available updates from Windows Update. Also, they're changing the way XP handles being installed: when SP3 is final and sent out, if you slipstream it into a proper XP SP3 installer CD, you'll be able to install XP without using the key unlike XP has been since day one. That gives people the "30 day grace period" that we've seen with Vista since it came out.

Overall SP3 is shaping up nicely, but those so-called 10% performance claims are bullshit. The site that made the claims invited people to download their test scripts and run them to see the difference. I did, and I saw no difference in performance between XP SP2 clean (no updates applied) and SP3's last beta (what they used for the test).

both are in the same workgroup? If so you need to enable file sharing on the folder you are transfering from. Open windows explorer, right click on the folder and select properties. Click the sharing tab and then click share.
Then from your other computer you want to copy the files to open windows explorer and then click on network and you should then see that other computer in the list and can just navigate to the folder. It will most likely ask you for a username and password so enter the username/password on that computer. All of my computers have the same username/password on all of them so I don't enter anything.

Thanks! I got it working after i followed some of your advice and also removed norton from laptop, now it works. The speed of transfer now is very slow though.

I had to roll back SP1, not sure if my Raid Card threw up during the 900Mb install or there's something in there that ther 3Ware 9650SE said...'Oh HELL no!" I'm working on the theory one of the patches borks something in the way my Raid card is handled...or the PCI-E slot is handled which makes it vomit. This happened with a Microsoft update too, so I need to narrow down which one it is...

I installed RC1 last night, and the only thing ive noticed is that internet IE/Firefox run extremely slow like dial up speed, yet I am on 3mb DSL and this has never happened before.

I'm pretty sure RC1 is the source of my sudden slow internet and I guess im gonna have to get rid of it to fix the problem, if it does, and I really hope it does.

I installed RC1 last night, and the only thing ive noticed is that internet IE/Firefox run extremely slow like dial up speed, yet I am on 3mb DSL and this has never happened before.

I'm pretty sure RC1 is the source of my sudden slow internet and I guess im gonna have to get rid of it to fix the problem, if it does, and I really hope it does.

Just from what I've read here, it seems like you're not the only one with this problem. Hopefully they will have this fixed in the final SP1.

After un-installing Vista RC1 I noticed my internet sped up again for the majority of websites... however YouTube takes minutes and minutes to load and than the entire video buffers fast, strange, but maybe its just youtube the last few days cause it used to work fine.

Back