Where is the AC S1 followup?

gibber

Gawd
And what's with the Dead Thread on the heatsink roundup discussion with no explanation?

If we say the [H] "owes" us readers a follow up w/the S1 that's completely fair, because, without the readers a website is nothing. It's got to be all about your readers, right? And a lot of us have been waiting a long time to see how the S1 compares in your tests.

:confused:

edit: look, I know someone is going to complain, so before you do, I know there's a lot of hard work and they put a lot in to making those articles, but, despite all that, it's past being about time they put up the S1 follow up, how many months does it take to add one cooler to a review?!?

edit #2: And, what would be the point of a forum if you can't express a difference of opinion. Don't act all like I'm saying it's all shit, that's not at all what I'm saying at all, I'm saying: take a very good article and make it better, complete. And don't wait until the 8800GT is old news and the whole article is moot, because most of us "enthusiasts" are thinking about which version of 9x00 card we're going to get so we've passed our 8800GT down in a "hand me down" computer for our wife/father/nephew/neighbor, or relegated it to the "spare" PC in the guest room...

And what's with the Dead Thread on the heatsink roundup discussion with no explanation?

If we say the [H] "owes" us readers a follow up w/the S1 that's completely fair, because, without the readers a website is nothing. It's got to be all about your readers, right? And a lot of us have been waiting a long time to see how the S1 compares in your tests.

:confused:

edit: look, I know someone is going to complain, so before you do, I know there's a lot of hard work and they put a lot in to making those articles, but, despite all that, it's past being about time they put up the S1 follow up, how many months does it take to add one cooler to a review?!?

The only thing your owed s a swift kick in the ass.

I dont feel quite as strongly but I am disappointed that the S1 hasnt been covered by [H] yet.
I read elsewhere what appears to be the best cooler and got an S1 because it seems to glow in the dark and for very little outlay!
You would think such a popular, cheap and well performing cooler would be one of the first items on the review list at [H], especially since it fits most of the major graphics cards available today.

I trust [H] reviews above all others so will value the review when it arrives.
It would be good to know why the S1 wasnt and still hasnt been included though, I'm sure there will be a good reason.

The reason why the S1 wasn't reviewed was thoroughly discussed in the locked thread. But I certainly can't wait to see the [H] review of the S1!

A link to the locked thread would be handy as its nigh on impossible to locate.

I'd be very interested to see how it stacks up against other products too.
I know how well it has turned out for my PCIe 8800GT(41c idle, 55c load, with no fan on it, just a case fan blowing in air near it), but I don't know how it would compare to others.

The [H]ardOCP owes you absolutely NOTHING.

Man nothing pisses me off more than seeing someone come in here and proclaim that they are 'owed' some thing or some task that Kyle or another member of the [H] staff chose not to do. They owe you NOTHING. This isn't Burger King and they don't do it YOUR WAY all the time - and you had better learn to deal with it before you are shown the oft used banhammer.

Now... the reasons that the AC Accelero S1 were not included in the roundup were made clear. If you can't seem to wrap your head around those reasons then maybe you've got some more serious learning issues that need to be taken care of on a professional basis. I'll reiterate them once again anyway for those who might not be aware:

The [H]ard|OCP staff member responsible for the roundup CONTACTED Arctic Cooling requesting a review sample of the Accelero S1 so that it could be included in the roundup. Representatives from Arctic Cooling refused to provide such a unit, citing that the S1 was NOT compatible with the 8800GT and that they DID NOT support or endorse it's use on the 8800GT. It was made abundantly clear to the [H]ard|OCP staff that Arctic Cooling had put their foot down and so the decision was made to move on without the Accelero S1 in the roundup.

Why didn't Kyle or another staff member run his or her happy ass out there and buy an Accelero S1 out of their own pocket? Who knows? Maybe it's the fact that other companies were more than willing to pony up review samples while AC not only refused but also all but discouraged the [H] from using their product on the 8800GT. If I was in the [H]'s position I would have done the exact same thing - gone on with the roundup sans Arctic Cooling's flagship unit. In fact I would have put a big blurb in the review about the stance that Arctic Cooling took on the matter - I think the [H] was actually being NICE by not openly chastising and/or calling out Arctic Cooling on the matter.

We all know that shortly after this roundup Arctic Cooling suddenly announced that the Accelero S1 is in fact compatible with the 8800GT. It's not [H]ard|OCP's fault that they suddenly decided to announce support, and I'm sure [H] was taken aback after they had so adamantly discouraged use of the product on the 8800GT in the first place. And I'm sure that Kyle didn't want to wait around to deal with Arctic Cooling AGAIN all the while delaying the roundup being posted. Maybe it will find it's way into a future roundup or news blurb, maybe not.

Why was the original discussion thread closed? Because people like you that thing they are 'owed' something more by the [H]ard|OCP suffer from this incessant need to bitch at the [H] staff for something they had absolutely no control over. :mad:

I'll say it again. This site isn't a service that you pay for, it's a rather expensive hobby for Kyle and the rest of the [H]ard|OCP staff. It's a privately run community and it's NOT A DEMOCRACY. You are owed nothing and deserve nothing, your being allowed to read and/or participate in the [H]ard|OCP community is a PRIVILEGE and most definitely not a right. Trying to 're-open' an issue that's already been closed is a sure way to lose such a privilege.

*whew* .... sorry about the rant, folks. :(

The [H]ardOCP owes you absolutely NOTHING.

Man nothing pisses me off more than seeing someone come in here and proclaim that they are 'owed' some thing or some task that Kyle or another member of the [H] staff chose not to do. They owe you NOTHING. This isn't Burger King and they don't do it YOUR WAY all the time - and you had better learn to deal with it before you are shown the oft used banhammer.

Any website owe's it's readers EVERYTHING the opposite of nothing. Any website that doesn't get that is not going to exist very long, or, at least not have a wide reader base. I'm sure that people who run websites understand that, even if you can't seem to.

It IS a service that WE pay for. Have you heard of advertising? Our eyes see those ads, that's how it gets paid for.

Since when does a review website need permission to review a product? That (pointing out that as a reason for them not having reviewed it / not including it in the review for that reason) is just plain dumb, IMHO. Why I'm ranting now is because they said they would do a followup with the S1 and it's been a while - also, the thread was closed where one reader said he would post his personal results because he was expecting his S1 in the mail.

Didn't you read that people had posted that they had USED the S1 with THEIR 8800GTs WELL BEFORE the roundup was published???

People should be able to take some constructive criticism with out having to get all assholish and be mean to the person criticizing.

Since when does a review website need permission to review a product? That's just plain dumb.

They do not need permission, but why the hell should they have to go and spend their own money on buying something the manufacturer claimed was not compatible.

Any website owe's it's readers EVERYTHING the opposite of nothing. Any website that doesn't get that is not going to exist very long, or, at least not have a wide reader base. I'm sure that people who run websites understand that, even if you can't seem to.

Dude, I cant sympathise with that attitude.
They dont owe us anything.
They can make the place pleasurable/useful for us which they have done a very good job of and this keeps me coming back.
They have also been doing this successfully for years so I dont think your comment that they wont last long sits very well.

The lack of this review is not in any way going to make me stop using this website.
If it isnt stopping you coming here then be thankful for a good place on the web.
It would be wise not to take small issues so hard.

You'll probably get an owed Forum spanking if you continue like that cos the thread will get locked as a minimum and you might get banned!

Also, clearly some of you cannot read and/or refuse to take the time

Kyle stated in the discussion thread that they are working on a followup with the S1:
We will also be doing a follow up with the AC S1 as requested. But please do keep in mind the ONLY reason this cooler was not included what that AC told us specifically it would not fit in early November. Once we had our data they changed their minds on this.

Give it some time and it'll come out. They deserve a break too over Christmas...

If you feel so strongly about it, buy one and post your review gibber.

If you feel so strongly about it, buy one and post your review gibber.

Ok, but it's not so useful if it can't be accurately compared to the other ones in the round up, right? I think it would be a lot harder for me to try to accurately replicate their test compared to them just spending a couple hours to throw it up on the end of their review?

I think I will go ahead and buy the S2, I guess If I just post before & after temps & OC results that's useful enough. I just wanted their round up to have added what it was sorely missing because a lot more people will read that, than if I post a review myself.

When I make a mistake, I can admit it, and I can say sorry. Guess some people can't?

Good idea about the before and after temps. Many buy a new card and aftermarket cooler at the same time and don't go to the trouble of before and after. It would help others thinking about upgrading the cooler.

I think I will go ahead and buy the S2, I guess If I just post before & after temps & OC results that's useful enough. I just wanted their round up to have added what it was sorely missing because a lot more people will read that, than if I post a review myself.

When I make a mistake, I can admit it, and I can say sorry. Guess some people can't?
Good plan. I usually get most of my reviews from forum members, since they are just doing the reviews genuinely for the information and women. Most women love a man who can write a heatsink review. Like the 120mm fan roundup at XS (forgot from which member), that was probably one of the most helpful things I have ever read.

Kyle and his gang have been practicing the same no bullshit tolerated policy since... ohh around mid-1997 or something similar? Yup... I can see why the [H]ard reader base is so limited. Same with the [H]ardForums... what are we at now, almost 100,000 members? Boy they better straighten their act up right now or they're going to be sorry! :p

It IS a service that WE pay for. Have you heard of advertising? Our eyes see those ads, that's how it gets paid for.

That's not quite how it works, I'm afraid. It would be different if this were run as a public service or business. Kyle has always maintained that [H]ard|OCP is a hobby (a very expensive one at that). In essence, you are a visitor in his house. You can't demand a particular refreshment just because you are visiting - wether or not you read the magazine advertisements for strawberry flavoured lube on his coffee table. :p

Since when does a review website need permission to review a product? That (pointing out that as a reason for them not having reviewed it / not including it in the review for that reason) is just plain dumb, IMHO. Why I'm ranting now is because they said they would do a followup with the S1 and it's been a while - also, the thread was closed where one reader said he would post his personal results because he was expecting his S1 in the mail.

[H]ard|OCP doesn't need 'permission' to review anything, but when a company makes it abundantly clear that proceeding with such a review would be against their wishes you must tread carefully. As was said AC made it abundantly clear that the Accelero S1 wasn't supported on the 8800GT and refused to provide [H] with the review sample on that basis. Things have changed now, thankfully, and hopefully we will see something from the [H] gang soon. I'd imagine if it's not an all out review it will be an addendum to the recently posted roundup.

Oh, and It hasn't been that long since the initial roundup was posted, and these guys are family men through and through. You can't expect them to drop everything at Christmas just for you, you know. For all we know there may be an Accelero S1 on the test bench waiting to be put through it's paces.

Didn't you read that people had posted that they had USED the S1 with THEIR 8800GTs WELL BEFORE the roundup was published???

What was that Mom used to say.... if your friends jumped off a cliff would you do it too/? :p :D

People should be able to take some constructive criticism with out having to get all assholish and be mean to the person criticizing.

Well I do apologize for being so harsh, but quite frankly I just can't deal with people who come off as ungrateful. That might not have been your intention but that's the way your original post sounded.

And to make it clear I'm not some weirdo with a mission against Arctic Cooling or the Accelero S1 - as a matter of fact I just bought one two days ago for my own 8800GT. I hear it's the next big thing or something. :D :p

...And to make it clear I'm not some weirdo with a mission against Arctic Cooling or the Accelero S1 - as a matter of fact I just bought one two days ago for my own 8800GT. I hear it's the next big thing or something.

Then that'd make you be the one who's "jumping off a cliff" because "all his friends are doing it".

I'm hoping to see a good review by a website like this one before I take the jump. I was thinking of getting the S1, but then I saw the announcment about the rev. 2 (S2?) so I figure I'll get one of those, unless the S1 is a lot cheaper... As it is now my PC is too noisy to leave on when I go to bed, the std. 8800GT cooler really is noisy even at "idle". Can't wait until I can get a modern 3D vid. card that only uses 30 watts or so in "2d" mode by shutting down un-needed parts of the chip when it's not needing full power.

Do you think Kyle is really not making money off this website yet??? That would be surprising, I doubt that is the case. Why would he have annoying "intellitext" if it didn't earn $ ???

If you said to me "making money is not the only reason for the existane of [H]ardocp", then I could believe that, however.

When someone is not making blanket statements like "You suck, you're stupid", then maybe a little criticism shouldn't be a big deal, eh?

How is the S1 working out for you? And is it hard to mount? It doesn't come with RAMsinks, does it? I would prob. have to pickup some RAMsinks too, if I get an S1/S2.

Let's hope the delay is 'cause they took a break for the holidays and not because they got irritated at people (like me) asking why it's not done yet :p

I know my wife woud have been pissed at me if I'd spent the whole Christmas holiday time playing with PC parts...

edit:
That's not quite how it works, I'm afraid. It would be different if this were run as a public service or business. Kyle has always maintained that [H]ard|OCP is a hobby (a very expensive one at that). In essence, you are a visitor in his house. You can't demand a particular refreshment just because you are visiting - wether or not you read the magazine advertisements for strawberry flavoured lube on his coffee table.
If I was at his house... I would slap an S1 on his coffee table and say "get this reviewd bish! comon let's get it done, it'll only take an hour..." And, of course, it would take 3 times as long and take 3 hours instead, those things always do...

When my friend comes to my house, he drinks the extra six pack of Negro Modelo that I had for the next day. So next time I go to his house I AM going to demand some particular beverages. If I went to Kyle's house, I would ask for some good Texas beers. Not that he'd have me in his house, mind you.

Actually the ads are here because he doesn't make enough money to keep even. Most of all the money here goes towards stuff for us, better servers etc etc.

It would actually be kind neat to see the #'s of what the yearly cost of [H] costs vs what they take in.

Im surprised Kyle or a mod hasn't came in and cracked some skulls yet <.<.... >.> *ducks*

I was thinking of getting the S1, but then I saw the announcment about the rev. 2 (S2?) so I figure I'll get one of those, unless the S1 is a lot cheaper... As it is now my PC is too noisy to leave on when I go to bed, the std. 8800GT cooler really is noisy even at "idle". Can't wait until I can get a modern 3D vid. card that only uses 30 watts or so in "2d" mode by shutting down un-needed parts of the chip when it's not needing full power.

The Accelero S2 exists now and is basically a smaller version of the S1 meant for cards that produce a bit less of a cooling demand than our 8800GTs. Yes, they just announced a new 'Revision 2' Accelero S1 that will have a wider compatibility range than the current S1 design. I'm not sure what's changed, I think they might have revised the mounting pattern for more compatibility. The Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 is supposed to hit e-tailers in late February or early March from what I've heard. I just couldn't wait that long for mine. :D

Do you think Kyle is really not making money off this website yet??? That would be surprising, I doubt that is the case. Why would he have annoying "intellitext" if it didn't earn $ ???

Actually he's said many many times in the past that he loses money out of pocket constantly for the [H]. I don't think that has changed since the last time he said it. I know that he truly hates the idea of annoying ads and intellitext in particular, but in the end it had to be done to pay the bills. You should PM him and ask him if he makes a single cent off [H]ard|OCP, you would probably be suprised at the answer.

If you said to me "making money is not the only reason for the existane of [H]ardocp", then I could believe that, however.

Making money is not the only reason for the existence of [H]ard|OCP. It wasn't when Kyle first started the site 10 years ago and I hope to god that it never is. [H]ard|OCP has always been about pushing the envelope of hardcore enthusiast level computing and hardware modding. From back in the day when us enthusiasts were overclocking the first run of Intel's new Pentium chips, to overclocking the lovely Celeron 300A, to Kyle holding the world record for fried AMD Athlon 'Thunderbird' cores, and onward and forward. You gotta love it.

How is the S1 working out for you? And is it hard to mount? It doesn't come with RAMsinks, does it? I would prob. have to pickup some RAMsinks too, if I get an S1/S2.

I ordered the S1 on December 30th and paid for 2 day shipping, but it still hasn't arrrived yet I guess due to all of the holiday shipping madness. I do know that it's said to be relatively easy to mount and that it DOES come with a set of 8 aluminum ramsinks as well as a long thin heatsink meant to cool the MOSFETs of most of the popular cards. Unfortunately this MOSFET cooler won't fit the 8800GT, but Arctic Cooling claims that the MOSFETs on the 8800GT don't run hot enough to need the heatsink anyway. Oh and it also comes with an aluminum heatsink to fit another component on the backside of certain Radeon cards which will be useless to us NVIDIA folks. :p About the only concern I have is that just about everyone who has bought the S1 says that the thermal tape on the ramsinks is CRAPPY - most people have had to resort to using other methods to affix the ramsinks to the BGA memory (dots of superglue in the corners of the chips, hot glue on the outside, etc). I'm sure I'll figure something out if I need to.

I plan to take LOTS of pictures when I put mine on and will post a mini-review in the video card subforum when I get it. :D

Back