Where is my dirt cheap post merge GPU?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Well it has all gone down. Supposed to be millions of high ends around, although I don't know why they didn't hit the market over the last 3 months when the writing was on the wall. So what gives? Where are these wearhouses of GPU's? Are the prices and quantity waiting for the 4000 & 7000 series to launch for some unexplained reason?

There are plenty in the fs section. Pretty reasonable prices too.

x2 what cd said. 30 series is already well below msrp on the used market.

It was never going to be a light switch of used supply though. Lots of hardware is currently sitting dark that will either get turned back on, or trickle onto the market over the next 3-12 months. If 40 series is priced insanely high, expect 30 series to still maintain decent resale value.

The mega-farms that didn't already sell pre-merge were not just going to liquidate the day after POS. They all have locked in power contracts, dirt cheap rates, and (very likely) hardware that is already more than paid off. They can, and will weather the crypto storm for a while. Right now it's just the little guys selling a few cards.

Fwiw, gaming demand is also still insanely high. I just sold about 20 cards slightly below market rates and everything sold in a few days easily. Lots of gaming demand has been sitting on the sidelines the last 12-24 months waiting out the GPU market shit show, and now these people are starting to throw cash at good deals.

Give it time. Prices will likely continue to slowly slide, but you won't see fire sales of bulk $200 3080's anytime soon.

Not to mention, Eth is not the only coin out there. these GPUs can mine other crap.

It was never going to be a light switch of used supply though. Lots of hardware is currently sitting dark that will either get turned back on, or trickle onto the market over the next 3-12 months. If 40 series is priced insanely high, expect 30 series to still maintain decent resale value.
Well as far as mining goes it was a light switch. And for getting turned back on. For what? What do you imagine that would be for?
Why a slow trickle of useless mining cards over the next 12 months? They are getting obsolete by the day. Dropping in value continuously.
So my question is did such massive numbers of mining cards exist? Logically they would be on the market and they would not have waited to the last second.

Well as far as mining goes it was a light switch. And for getting turned back on. For what? What do you imagine that would be for?
Why a slow trickle of useless mining cards over the next 12 months? They are getting obsolete by the day. Dropping in value continuously.
So my question is did such massive numbers of mining cards exist? Logically they would be on the market and they would not have waited to the last second.
-People overestimate the amount of 30 series cards used for mining
-We're heading into winter, where a lot of people can/will subsidize their (likely) very expensive gas/heating bills with rigs
-A lot of people already sold their cards
-The mega farms already knew what a post-merge mining landscape would look like (ie: very slim profits). If they were going to sell, they already did. If they didn't, they are going to weather the storm for at least the next few months.
-People are huffing hopium and keeping their cards for now. They're either spec mining at/near a loss, or waiting for some sort of profitability
-Mega farms have dirt cheap power and are still turning a small profit mining other shitcoins
-Gaming demand/purchasing is still very high. Though as more mining cards hit the market, it will start to satiate that demand.

99% of residential miners aren't profitable right now and likely won't be for a while. If gpu prices aren't crashing, it's because of a combination of the above.

Last edited:
You just have to wait for it, until the sellers realize they have to lower prices if they actually want to sell.

-We're heading into winter, where a lot of people can/will subsidize their (likely) very expensive gas/heating bills with rigs
-The mega farms already knew what a post-merge mining landscape would look like (ie: very slim profits). If they were going to sell, they already did. If they didn't, they are going to weather the storm for at least the next few months.
-People are huffing hopium and keeping their cards for now. They're either spec mining at/near a loss, or waiting for some sort of profitability
-Mega farms have dirt cheap power and are still turning a small profit mining other shitcoins
-Gaming demand/purchasing is still very high. Though as more mining cards hit the market, it will start to satiate that demand.

99% of residential miners aren't profitable right now and likely won't be for a while. If gpu prices aren't crashing, it's because of a combination of the above.
So you have no clue either.

There are lot of cheap GPUs out right now. You are really expecting to get 3090tis for $300 or something?

You just have to wait for it, until the sellers realize they have to lower prices if they actually want to sell.
Bingo. I see some 3080's out there for a few hundred less than they were two weeks ago, but few and far between. I expect sellers to slowly undercut each other as every time I see a new one pop up, it's $25 cheaper than the last.

I've waited this long, I can wait some more. My 1080 was a good investment at this point.

Try eBay. You can get a used 3090 for under $800 now, or a used 3070 for under $400.

I can't imagine that NVidia is going to sell a lot of 12GB 4080 Founders Edition cards for $899 when you can get a used card with twice as much VRAM and probably similar performance for $100 less.

That's the weird thing... The Ethereum mining hash rate was high right up until the day before the merge. It only dropped about 20% in the weeks before, much less than expected.

That tells me that there are a LOT of "lightly used" video cards being pulled out of mining rigs that are about to hit the used market soon.

Because no one believed it was actually going to happen, because of how many times it was promised before..now all those massive miner opt's are waiting to see who drops out, and then find the next best thing, but at current market trading prices, anything to mine is not worth anything..

Because no one believed it was actually going to happen, because of how many times it was promised before..now all those massive miner opt's are waiting to see who drops out, and then find the next best thing, but at current market trading prices, anything to mine is not worth anything..
I see a guy locally (among many) selling his rig and he's like "just built it 6 months ago".

I mean, Jesus Christ. Seriously.

Edit: you wouldn't even ROI in nearly 12 and maybe longer (I stopped over a year ago, and I can only imagine the network difficulty kept climbing and it was a 12 month ROI then).

I see a guy locally (among many) selling his rig and he's like "just built it 6 months ago".

Edit: you wouldn't even ROI in nearly 12 and maybe longer (I stopped over a year ago, and I can only imagine the network difficulty kept climbing and it was a 12 month ROI then).
Or he is pulling the "It was only Grandma driven to the store and back" type of thing for buyers confidence. But i also bet there are lots of sellers who bought in late and are wanting big $$ for their cards.

Or he is pulling the "It was only Grandma driven to the store and back" type of thing for buyers confidence. But i also bet there are lots of sellers who bought in late and are wanting big $$ for their cards.

My favorite are the ones who still proudly post that their cards are the "Non LHR" models.

Guess what? Nobody cares anymore. Ethereum mining is basically dead now.

I've been seeing masses of amd 4xx and 5xx being dumped here (JP) at roughly half of the prices they were only a month ago, pinky-promised not used for mining or "intensive tasks". They're finally back down to the pre-pandemic ¥12000 for an rx570. If prices keep dropping like that I may get to build my new system by next year after all, even with the prices of cases on the rise.

Not looking at other budget ranges.

Last edited:

Ya, I have seen several of those as well, one person here trying to pawn off their 4 x 3060 , 2 x 2060 mining rig for $2500 CAD, meanwhile you could pretty much buy the same rig now for just under $3k brand new....

Just the Virus of high prices being gone was a cure for Gamers wanting to buy new, who cares if RTX 3000 is old by tech standards and you wanting it to sale next to noting, most never got to live the dream of Amp, I don't plan to sell my RTX 3070 LHR seeing the Spider Man reviews!

Also, XFX thought it was funny to release a new product on
Date First AvailableSeptember 19, 2022

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-6700-rx-67xlkwfdv/p/N82E16814150874?quicklink=true

There was a flood of $300 3070tis locally this week. I considered it, but I don't play anything that needs more than my 1080.

/shrug

If you are in the market for a 30XX check out Amazon Warehouse. You have to watch it for a little while to get a really cheap one, but its worth it. I just picked up a Zotac 3080 Trinity OC 12gb for $591. They sell items that have had boxes damages in the warehouse, returns ect. Everything is covered by the same return policy as regular Amazon and Prime shipping.

This might give you second thoughts on grabbing second hand GPU

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/crypto-miners-allegedly-jet-washing-gpus

That is a bit extreme but I bet there is a huge click-bait factor there, as opposed to that being something that is actually common or widespread. And to be fair, I've actually been able to fully restore computers that had been fully submerged in a flood. The key variable being that they were not plugged in and had not been turned on in a long time so no relevant components in the computer still had an electrical charge. If this was the case also for those cards then I'd bet some/most of them still work just fine (once dry).

Not to mention, Eth is not the only coin out there. these GPUs can mine other crap.
lol, well my 3090 loses more money than my 5700 at mining at the moment. Never thought that would happen. 3090 -> -17 cents/day, 5700 -> -5 cents/day. GPU mining is pretty much dead for a profit, some will do it for a hobby, others believe in a given coin or coins and will support it by mining. Now if one has super cheap electricity or using wind/solar etc. a small profit can still be had.

https://www.whattomine.com/

That is a bit extreme but I bet there is a huge click-bait factor there, as opposed to that being something that is actually common or widespread. And to be fair, I've actually been able to fully restore computers that had been fully submerged in a flood. The key variable being that they were not plugged in and had not been turned on in a long time so no relevant components in the computer still had an electrical charge. If this was the case also for those cards then I'd bet some/most of them still work just fine (once dry).

Yeah, I wonder how much Zotac is paying their former mining customers to post videos like that on social media.

They need FUD like that out there to scare people away from buying used cards, so they can sell more overpriced 4000 series cards once they come out.

Back