Where Is Amazon's Public Apology?

HardOCP News

[H] News
NetworkWorld wants to know where is Amazon's public apology for last week's outage?

Let me apologize in advance if I have somehow overlooked it, but here we are five days after the start of Amazon's calamitous EC2 collapse and the company has yet to issue a public apology. This is Public Relations 101, no? So what's the holdup? (I'm going to guess lawyers, but that's strictly a guess.)

/me feels a bit ambivalent about this one...

While I don't expect to see one, it sure wouldn't hurt their reputation to actual put one out. Bezos himself would do well to make it, front page, and do it with a video I'd say and not just some cold text on a screen. Thank the people for their patience, mention a credit or whatever for the lost service and downtown, thank them again, several times, and move on.

But that's just me.

The people who frequent their site are not the ones in trouble. Hell they did not even know their service was down. The ones that are owed the apology are the EC2 customers and you better believe their support was A+ that no one is going to be leaving them anytime soon.

Wow, really, I mean things happen. While the service isn't free, why would they need to issue a public apology? I really doubt that any service has 100% uptime and given the size of the EC2 system, it is pretty impressive that it doesn't have more problems than it does. Unless Paul McNamara runs a site on EC2, why would he expect Amazon to offer an apology to him?

most prolly amazon has one, its just polishing everything. but same , I wont really care if they apologize or not, I really just care for the explanation on what really happened.

Well I'm sure they did a good job keeping their customers well informed because they kept an up-to-date status of what the heck they were doing here http://status.aws.amazon.com/ As for compensation that's another story which is out of my legal speak of what are Amazon's obligations on their part.

My seedbox sometimes goes down but has like 99% uptime, I don't need my provider to apoligize to me everytime a natural occurance. gtfo

and this is why the cloud sucks

Someone's a little anal or angry methinks. Why does Amazon owe HIM an apology? I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure Amazon issued apologies to their affected customers with statement that they're looking into it. Everyone else are just vultures or sharks fishing for opportunities for their 15 minutes of fame.

Amazon said they'll fix it. That should be good enough.

As someone on Twitter said in the article, "Fix first, apologize later."

The outage kept reminding me of the lame Microsoft commercial with the couple at the airport and ones yells "To the cloud!" so they can watch a TV show while waiting.

I just wish Sony was as forthcoming as Amazon's dashboard about status updates during the outage.

Stuff happens, and stuff breaks.
Amazon owes nothing to anybody who was not a customer effected by the outage.
Crying about it for attention just makes you look silly.

I tend to agree. I buy all my music now off Amazon's MP3 store (fuck MP4) on my Droid and its always wanting me to download them to the cloud. No thanks, I've got a 32GB memory card for a reason.

And why exactly should Amazon apologize to the public? They don't interface with the consumers who frequent the sites that suffered from the outage. Amazon only owes an apology to its business partners and my guess is that was done in spades.

Multi day outages is why "cloud" storage and such are a bad idea, cloud sync sure but I want my data and apps local.

They should apologize to their customers.

My seedbox sometimes goes down but has like 99% uptime, I don't need my provider to apoligize to me everytime a natural occurance. gtfo
Except Amazon is now below their SLA. And they cost at least two times as much as regular hosters.

I can't wait to see this cloud hype die.

Technology has it's hiccups, people. Do you cry and whine every time you have an outage at home? "MY ISP BETTER APOLOGIZE, OR ELSE!"

Or else what? You'll go cry on some Internet foru... oh wait, you wouldn't be able to. :rolleyes:

People that jumped for joy over Amazon's Cloud Drive service are more than likely sheep. Why you ask? Gmail's been offering GBs of free storage for years. It's a new service, shit happens. If you're so worried about Cloud services going down, buy a god damn flash drive.

If I understand correctly what I have read elsewhere then the actual blame is on the companies that chose to store all their shit in the VA data center as opposed to distributing it to other EC2 data centers as well. Amazon provides the infrastructure but affected companies are responsible for using it properly. My guess would be that this is why Amazon didn't apologize, because they don't really have anything to apologize for.

I tend to agree. I buy all my music now off Amazon's MP3 store (fuck MP4) on my Droid and its always wanting me to download them to the cloud. No thanks, I've got a 32GB memory card for a reason.

Completely OT, but why the hatred for MP4?

What does someone actually think that Amazon ISN'T sorry?

So now, every time some computer crashes somewhere, are we suposed to have some sort of public shaming? Are we going to build a public Gallows?

People that jumped for joy over Amazon's Cloud Drive service are more than likely sheep. Why you ask? Gmail's been offering GBs of free storage for years./QUOTE]
Does Google offer a web-based music player, unlimited storage for tracks you've purchased from Google (even though you can't purchase music from Google) and iOS/Android players for music you store with Gmail?

Nope.

People that jumped for joy over Amazon's Cloud Drive service are more than likely sheep. Why you ask? Gmail's been offering GBs of free storage for years./QUOTE]
Does Google offer a web-based music player, unlimited storage for tracks you've purchased from Google (even though you can't purchase music from Google) and iOS/Android players for music you store with Gmail?

Nope.

Actually, Amazon does not offer an iOS music player for their cloud based music storage.

Someone's a little anal or angry methinks. Why does Amazon owe HIM an apology? I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure Amazon issued apologies to their affected customers with statement that they're looking into it. Everyone else are just vultures or sharks fishing for opportunities for their 15 minutes of fame.

It's just a hurt Ego. Trying to control something that's out of you.
In other words. If you want something done, do it yourself. Don't blame the cloud for being what it is: The Cloud.

If you are going to deal with it, then make sure you understand what it is. And is implications. Or at least make sure to be willing to learn as you go.

Wow, really, I mean things happen. While the service isn't free, why would they need to issue a public apology? I really doubt that any service has 100% uptime and given the size of the EC2 system, it is pretty impressive that it doesn't have more problems than it does. Unless Paul McNamara runs a site on EC2, why would he expect Amazon to offer an apology to him?

I don't need my provider to apoligize to me everytime a natural occurance. gtfo

Someone's a little anal or angry methinks. Why does Amazon owe HIM an apology?

/snip

These. As for myself, when I read that some megaconglomerate has issued a statement of apology, it usually lessens my opinion of them. The reason is not a matter of principle--of course apologizing is not a bad thing.

The deal is like this: pick any public apology by any company ever; now, put them all side by side; now, open a PR textbook; notice any difference? Me neither. These apologies tend to have 0% substance, and I would rather not see a company overreact and pander desperately. It removes what little humanity, if any, remains in the concept of 'corporation' and comes off, quite ironically, as a group that cares more about retaining customers than satisfying them.

Nope.

People that purchase MP3s will more than likely have an MP3 player. Web based player?! HOLY SHIT BATMAN:

See Youtube or previously mentioned MP3 player.

*sarcastic jerk off motion* People are butthurt over Cloud Drive's downtime due to not being able to access their sensitive data, not their MP3 collections. Which is funny in retrospect, because most people that are smart enough won't store said information in one location, especially a remote one; Aka, the sheep reference. :rolleyes:

Technology has it's hiccups, people. Do you cry and whine every time you have an outage at home? "MY ISP BETTER APOLOGIZE, OR ELSE!"

Or else what? You'll go cry on some Internet foru... oh wait, you wouldn't be able to. :rolleyes:

People that jumped for joy over Amazon's Cloud Drive service are more than likely sheep. Why you ask? Gmail's been offering GBs of free storage for years. It's a new service, shit happens. If you're so worried about Cloud services going down, buy a god damn flash drive.

For the record, the only time I've had as much downtime as Amazon has been experiencing with an ISP was when I was on an old college one and I paid I think $40 every 3 months for that so no great expectations.

This really isn't the first time that Amazon has had outages on AWS either, they seem to get them pretty regularly. The entire premise and promise being made about "cloud computing" is the idea of always-on scalable data hosting that you can access from anywhere. With the sort of downtime Amazon tends to have at what point does it begin to undermine the whole basis of it?

For the record, the only time I've had as much downtime as Amazon has been experiencing with an ISP was when I was on an old college one and I paid I think $40 every 3 months for that so no great expectations.

This really isn't the first time that Amazon has had outages on AWS either, they seem to get them pretty regularly. The entire premise and promise being made about "cloud computing" is the idea of always-on scalable data hosting that you can access from anywhere. With the sort of downtime Amazon tends to have at what point does it begin to undermine the whole basis of it?

And at what point do you realize that a company is of course going to tout 24/7 connectivity. "Use our service, it may go down from time to time!" would be a terrible marketing. :rolleyes:

Back