Where is a good place to buy resistors online?

MYSTic Jedi

Limp Gawd
I am recently in the need for a rather larger resistor that i can not find at any of the local places, so im just wondering who migh be a good resistor seller? I have seen many different sites selling them, but just wondering if there is like a trusted site that any of you might use or have heard of. Thanks

mouser, digikey, newark, all will be able to supply you with whatever electronic components you might need.

Agent's Mother Of All Supply Links.

I've ordered from many of those links at one time or another without issue. I tend to purchase from Digikey if I can't find something cheaper at a surplus place like ALL or BG.

I don't know what you mean by 'large' resistor (100 megohms? 100 watts?), but remember that you can series or parallel the ones you do have access to - that works just as well in most cases.

Also, though RatShack may not be the best deal on the planet, by the time you calculate time and shipping into the equation, their Resistor Assortments make good bench stock items that are locally available.

edit - It is often helpful to post the exact item or solution you are looking for.

Well, i have aquired an older Trinitron monitor that apparently has an "infamous brightness" problem. Have looked up the problem and what i keep finding is that i need to replace one of the resistors, i looked up a diagram of it and found the right one, so now all i need is a resistor between 4M7 and 6M8. Thank you for all the help and info though, I really apriciate it! I think i shall go ahead and place an order of several! Thank you guys again!

Make sure you get the correct resistors - there are special types for high voltage applications, which may be what you need... I'm sure you have seen this thread. Plain old 1/4 watt carbon resistors just won't cut it if these are used where I think they are, they'll just fry.

Be very careful working on CRT monitors... the picture tube is in essence a very large capacitor and stores a good whallop of high voltage for a long period of time, even after it has been unplugged. If you are not familiar with HV repairs, I suggest you at least call a local shop to see what they might charge... sounds like a quick fix and shouldn't be that expensive, and they have the proper tools to do the job.

If you do decide to do this yourself, take some time to research the proper way to bleed the crt before working on it. Also be aware that conventional test leads on your dmm are of little or no protection when it comes to that level of voltage.

I do a lot of electronics work, and I still get a little anxious every time I work on a crt chassis... It's nothing to fool with.

Either way, best of luck.

jameco.com is another good source. more hobbyist friendly than the others last i remember too.

Well, i have aquired an older Trinitron monitor that apparently has an "infamous brightness" problem. Have looked up the problem and what i keep finding is that i need to replace one of the resistors, i looked up a diagram of it and found the right one, so now all i need is a resistor between 4M7 and 6M8. Thank you for all the help and info though, I really apriciate it! I think i shall go ahead and place an order of several! Thank you guys again!

Off topic: The first two Trinitrons (P991) I fixed with the G2 overbrightness I did via soldering in a replacement SMD resistor (IIRC, one was around 300k, the other around 400k) - not too bad.

The "correct" way to fix it is to use the Sony DAS software with a homebrewn DAS cable to edit the EEPROM in the monitor itself to adjust the G2 value. IIRC, all you need is a MAX232 + 1uF caps + wire...actually, I believe the MAX233 IC (or one of the other family members) has the filter caps built in even, so all you have to do then is wiring. You might want to look into that. (Note that the most expensive part of this method is shipping cost online...the ICs are like $0.75 each, the caps are pennies).

Back