Where have all the turn based RPGs gone?

Retne

Limp Gawd
Well It's finals week and im all studied up with only 2 more projects to complete so I figured I would start my christmas break off with a new turn based RPG only to find that I've already played every single one I want to play for both the xbox and the ps2. It seems for every rpg only 1 in 10 is turn based the rest being hack and slash.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on turn based rpgs for those systems or if there is one for PC I wouldn't mind that either.

I'll try to put all of the rpgs for those consoles I've played:
XenosagaI and II
Nightcaster
Xenogears(yea yea ps1 but still a fun game)
Baulders Gate (all of em for the consoles, now you see why I'm tired of hack'n'slash ;) )

I can't seem to remember anymore names but I'm not sitting at home and most of em were rentals. So if anyone has any ideas let me know :D

Check out the GBA, or even the DS, though the RPG genre hasn't yet made its soon-to-be large impact on the DS. The GBA has some awesome RPGs, both turn-based and real-time.

If you haven't played it, Planescape:Torment. PC turn-based RPG circa 1999, can usually pick it up cheap on ebay. Best CRPG made, imo.

Knights of the old republic would be another option.

I believe Jagged Alliance is now public domain. Great classic Turn-Based game.

i second that, im only like 5 hours into dragonquest 8 and im hooked. you should really check it out.

i'll be #3 for Dragon Quest VIII...

got it this past weekend... and its been keeping me up reaally late every night...

and man does it look good!

For PS1 FF Tactics and Vandal Hearts 1/2 were my favorites. Too bad there are so few of these types of games out there relatively speaking :(

I was thinking about picking up a cube and Fire Emblem:path of Radiance for some new turn-based goodness.

Play anything by the Nippon-Ichi group; their games are at the height of hardcore turn-based strategy/RPGs goodness.

Xenogears(yea yea ps1 but still a fun game)

Oh man, that game was more of a book than anything.

"Master, sir, did you see my MAD SKILLS!?"

will never forget that one..

Back