Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards - 11am CDT 10/28/20

Until I see numbers I’m not going to call it a paper launch. I might only be in Canada buy in my attempts to score some 3090’s my suppliers aren’t complaining about the supply or lack there of but they are quite vocal about the amount of requests they are getting and how they can’t keep up. My CDW rep told me and again very small sample size, that hes moved more 3080’s in a month than he did 2080TI in 2 years.
We are seeing stock of 10's at the most dropping to stores, fine call it a "soft launch". It's pretty soft alright. On the verge of non-existent. Instocknow "in stock" to "out of stock" flip in 5 minutes on every site. That tells us that the quantity arriving is minuscule.

Last edited:
Until I see numbers I’m not going to call it a paper launch. I might only be in Canada buy in my attempts to score some 3090’s my suppliers aren’t complaining about the supply or lack there of but they are quite vocal about the amount of requests they are getting and how they can’t keep up. My CDW rep told me and again very small sample size, that hes moved more 3080’s in a month than he did 2080TI in 2 years.

So, he moved 3 compared to 2

Well, the 3080 is also $300-500 USD cheaper of a card so I'm not surprised he's moving more in a month after hype and people staying away from turing cards. Most 2080ti's were $1200+.

I don't work at neither Intel nor Nvidia, so I wouldn't have any idea, but you already knew that. And I previously though asking the question just to be condescending was beneath you. How wrong I was.
Talk about condescending, it was you who implied that he was referring to financials when saying that Intel and NVidia are against the wall (something which is very obviously not the case). Rather, when it comes to shaping the upcoming generation of PC gaming, both Intel and NVidia are no-shows. And that will continue to be the case until they get their execution back on track, no matter how much money they make in other markets.

Talk about condescending, it was you who implied that he was referring to financials when saying that Intel and NVidia are against the wall (something which is very obviously not the case). Rather, when it comes to shaping the upcoming generation of PC gaming, both Intel and NVidia are no-shows. And that will continue to be the case until they get their execution back on track, no matter how much money they make in other markets.
I don't think you understand what "against the wall" means.

It means,, "to have very serious problem that limit the ways in which you can act".

Do they have problems? Yeah, they absolutely do. Does it limit the ways in which they can act? Not much of art all. Both companies enjoy a sizeable lead in market cap and cash flow. And as of right now, their backs are most certainly not against a wall.

You know, English isn't my first language, and I have to wonder if native English speakers really even know their own language.

AMD has been pretty good the last few years of being pretty accurate with their marketing numbers. I don't think anyone has accused AMD of using inflated marketing numbers.

Oh, tons of people have accused them of this, they just also tend to be the type of people that disappear or just ignore you when you ask them to provide examples from the last three or four years.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
ZeroBarrier I think I understand very well.
NVidia has no way they can act in order to start shipping enough product into the market. Their failure to execute has put them into a position where all their profits and cash flow don't matter.

Intel at least can produce now, but they have nothing competitive until Alder Lake, possibly even until 7nm. So while they are technically able to set up a new Contra-Revenue program to sell below cost, their investors would not look kindly on that given how it worked out last time. De facto their hands are tied too.

If you disagree, what do you think these two companies can do?

The only problem with demand that AMD is going to have to deal with is the gaping hole that NVIDIA has left in the market by not executing.
How did Nvidia fail at executing? Nvidia simply got squeezed out of TSMC and Samsung's node turned out to suck ass.

ZeroBarrier I think I understand very well.
NVidia has no way they can act in order to start shipping enough product into the market. Their failure to execute has put them into a position where all their profits and cash flow don't matter.

Intel at least can produce now, but they have nothing competitive until Alder Lake, possibly even until 7nm. So while they are technically able to set up a new Contra-Revenue program to sell below cost, their investors would not look kindly on that given how it worked out last time. De facto their hands are tied too.

If you disagree, what do you think these two companies can do?
That's the point, they have the resources to weather the storm. And let's not forget that no one really know just how many 3000 series have actually sold, there are no official numbers. It may be true that they had a normal amount of cards and the demand was too much as they stated. I just read another forum member walked into their local B&M store without any intention of getting an RTX 3000 series card and walked out with a 3070. But let's just says they don't have enough and won't have enough for another year.They'll survive and their next release should prove to be better for it. The only ones really getting affected by this is all the people crying bloody murder on forums because they either couldn't get their hands on a card and feel personally slighted by a company in some twisted way, or those that have a personal vendetta toward a corporation. It's gotten incredibly silly.
PS: You should try not being a gigantic condeasending dick just because people disagree with you.
P.S.: Welcome to my block list. Hopefully the mods aren't allowing personal attacks now.

Nvidia dropped the ball, yes, but it will take more than that to defeat them.

I guess I'm more of an AMD fan, even though I have an Nvidia card, but it's nice to see competition heating up.

Anyone seen the database that AMD is building on its GPUs? More besides what is being shown below. https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/graphics-gaming-benchmarks

1604083999288.png

1604084012507.png

1604084029550.png

1604084042094.png

1604084063512.png

1604084073377.png

Nvidia dropped the ball, yes, but it will take more than that to defeat them.

I guess I'm more of an AMD fan, even though I have an Nvidia card, but it's nice to see competition heating up.

I don't see anyone saying defeat, I do see the defense 'force' in full swing.

Even saying back against the wall isn't defeat, and yes Intel and nVidia both have their backs against a wall. Intel has had net to zero performance improvements in almost a decade, and nVidia seems to be struggling on the raster side and thus pushing RTX. The 3000 series generational leap is only impressive because the 2000 series was a raster perf flub.

All in all AMD taking the crown for a while is a great thing for everyone with a brain.

Looks like these are turning out to be the traditional rendering beasts many here said they really wanted.

I don’t like that there aren’t actual numbers for each bar, but those AMD cards are looking mighty fine from those graphs.

If you go to the page and scroll over the lines the numbers show.

This is off my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201030-151116.jpg
    Screenshot_20201030-151116.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 0
Looks like these are turning out to be the traditional rendering beasts many here said they really wanted.
Yup and RT isnt in a position right now speed wise with anything to be a must have feature. As long as it has usable RT performance (and it does), it will let me mess with RT settings in games that benefit from it. If the landscape changes significantly in the next few years, so be it and I'll buy the new card that gives me the performance I'm after. Right now AMD has my attention and I hope they can deliver sufficient quantities at release.

Coreteks hasn't been the most accurate with some stuff surrounding this launch as well as with Ampere, but if he's right about this, than part of the reason AMD has been ... soft ... on ray-tracing details is that their ray-tracing performance may be tied to CPU performance.

Multi-core/thread processing could be a big determining factor in how Big Navi handles ray-tracing. On the one hand, if this is true, than the GPU doesn't need as much dedicated hardware just sitting there doing nothing if you're not doing any ray-tracing. On the other hand, this means that with AMD, if you want better ray-tracing, you need more cores/threads.

This could explain some of the console APU decisions this gen.

Well your post is part of execution, so that is a failure.

No one told nVidia to launch with the problems they have, they decided that all on their own, which is another failure.
Well, it is not selling a whole lot of cards. That is failed execution no matter the reasons behind it.
Seems to me like Samsung didn't execute.

If the rumors are true that AMD will have low stock at launch, then I'd say that both TSMC and Samsung are not executing to fill our demands lol

Seems to me like passing the buck.

Again, no one forced nvidia to launch like this. Why do people have such a hard time with that fact?
Would you rather them wait to release to build up stock? Would you rather them wait for TMSC to free up capacity?

I feel like I am not going to be able to buy either product this year lol.

Would you rather them wait to release to build up stock? Would you rather them wait for TMSC to free up capacity?

I feel like I am not going to be able to buy either product this year lol.

Thats it, leap to nVidia's defense, do them proud!

Why is it that when someone has no ground to stand on they just add questions in an attempt to deflect?

nVidia launched with no product, yes they should have waited to have at least some degree of product to launch with. The simple reality is the 3000 series wasn't ready for launch until sometime next year, but nVidia shoved it out the door to 'beat' amd and deserves to lose market share as a result.

Why do you feel like nVidia is getting undeserved stick? From a purely end user (and relatively unbiased position) they deserve this and more, nVidia was napping (intel is in a deep slumber by comparison), maybe this will kick their asses into gear.

lol AMD isn't selling cards either.

Oops, maybe wait until after the cards launch for that one, kinda like nVidia should have done.

You really just said that?!
Looks like he did and they aren’t not for another week at least. Month and change for the 6900xt. Then I expect to sell a whole lot of them for 2-3 minutes. Than nothing for another month or so.

Robust ADULT conversation is encouraged and required by the rules. The name calling will not be tolerated. Address the POST, not the person that posted it.

Thats it, leap to nVidia's defense, do them proud!

Why is it that when someone has no ground to stand on they just add questions in an attempt to deflect?

nVidia launched with no product, yes they should have waited to have at least some degree of product to launch with. The simple reality is the 3000 series wasn't ready for launch until sometime next year, but nVidia shoved it out the door to 'beat' amd and deserves to lose market share as a result.

Why do you feel like nVidia is getting undeserved stick? From a purely end user (and relatively unbiased position) they deserve this and more, nVidia was napping (intel is in a deep slumber by comparison), maybe this will kick their asses into gear.

Oops, maybe wait until after the cards launch for that one, kinda like nVidia should have done.
Because Samsung 8nm and not enough capacity at TMSC is the problem

We are seeing stock of 10's at the most dropping to stores, fine call it a "soft launch". It's pretty soft alright. On the verge of non-existent. Instocknow "in stock" to "out of stock" flip in 5 minutes on every site. That tells us that the quantity arriving is minuscule.
5 minutes? Try 10 seconds.

I want a 6900XT, but I'll probably go for a 6800XT. Those graphs make me feel better about "settling". I don't see $350 worth of performance over the 6800XT, but that's usually how it goes with the top card.

I'm more interested in the minimum FPS - we'll see how that goes with the reviews. I think $650 for the 6800XT plus $150ish for a water block will get me close enough to 6900XT numbers that I won't shed any tears. I'm also planning on a 5800X purchase (taking the lower latency of a single CCX over moar cores and moar $$$) and hopefully an LG OLED to take advantage of that hardware at 4K.

I have this sneaking suspicion that once independent reviews of the new 6800XT/6900XT series cards hit and they become available for sale, we are going to start seeing a lot more 3080/3090 suddenly become "in stock" and available for purchase.... because supply channels will start filling up when no one will want to pay more for less...

Back