Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards - 11am CDT 10/28/20

Hi. I'm stupid. Was planning on a 3070, but what's the equivalent here? 6800?

Holy shit they did it! They actually did it! Assuming the graphs are accurate they are back in the high end game. When was the last time AMD was trading blows with Nvidia, anyone remember? I wonder how the Raytracing performance compares though, they did not compare it to Nvidias equivalent.
It was never unusual for AMD to release a card as good as the current gen Nvidia, they've just always done it a few months before Nvidia's next release. Releasing cards that are comparible (if true) within a month or so ... I don't even remember the last time.

Last edited:
too bad they only have cards that will trade blows, not one that completely shutters nvidia yet.

RIP 3090 "MSRP"

Nvidia is about to loose a boat load of money.... they can't really keep selling it for that right ? Or perhaps they can... who knows Nvidia does have a collection of super halo part customers that may pay 50% more just cause. Its not like they can make enough to sell them to anyone other then those folks anyway. ;)

Nvidias reaction will be interesting.... do they wait till reviews hit or do they do something sooner ? Fun times.

I believe they showed 5-8% uplift for that Smart Memory Access.

The increase was for Smart Memory Access + Rage mode. I would bet it’s the overclock that’s responsible for 100% of the increase.

Nvidia is about to loose a boat load of money.... they can't really keep selling it for that right ? Or perhaps they can... who knows Nvidia does have a collection of super halo part customers that may pay 50% more just cause. Its not like they can make enough to sell them to anyone other then those folks anyway. ;)

Nvidias reaction will be interesting.... do they wait till reviews hit or do they do something sooner ? Fun times.
I think the response with the 3090 is to give it full professional features so it makes sense with 24GB memory. I'm not familiar with this stuff, but after seeing reviews my understanding is things are still locked out on the 3090 that pros use.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
too bad they only have cards that will trade blows, not one that completely shutters nvidia yet.
The 6090 looks like it was mostly winning.... for $500 less.
Seems clear the 3090 was the reaction part.... NV probably knew they where only going to be able to push it for a couple months at most. They also probably know the market for that level of card is small. So wth price it stupid and sell out the few you can actually make.
Classy.

I think the response with the 3090 is to give it full professional features so it makes sense with 24GB memory. I'm not familiar with this stuff, but after seeing reviews my understanding is things are still locked out on the 3090 that pros use.
Hard to say Nvidia still loves to sell Quatro cards.... and with CUDA to be fair they can mostly get away with doing that.

I've bookmarked a bunch of 3090s in Craigslist and FB Marketplace specifically to see what happens after this announcement. Will be watching to see how fast the prices start dropping.

That's the rub right? NVIDIA is going to scream DLSS and ray tracing performance from the tree tops (if they hadn't burned all down with power requirements).

Definitely. It was kinda weird that AMD didn’t talk about existing raytracing titles like Control or Cyberpunk. It would be terrible if they don’t run on the 6 series.

AMD didn’t talk raytracing performance at all.

Save money for = performance or spend 80 bucks more for 3080 performance with 16gb.
mmk. so I am reading this right. haha

6800 it is then looks like. neat. now just wait until Spring for all this to settle down.

What I took from the presentation:

- competitive across the board, top to [current] bottom

- genious leveraging of in-company CPU-GPU synergy via Smart Access Memory boost

- TBP numbers and 6900XT impressive binning indicate good AIB overclocking possibilities

Don't really see the point of re-hashing ray tracing over again and again. NV has done it enough for everyone. The professional reviewers can dig out the differences in quality, ect. This was not the platform for that.

Definitely. It was kinda weird that AMD didn’t talk about existing raytracing titles like Control or Cyberpunk. It would be terrible if they don’t run on the 6 series.

AMD didn’t talk raytracing performance at all.
Cyberpunk isn't out and it's an Nvidia sponsored title. Why would AMD show head to head in games optimized for Nvidia RTX when they know they will lose in them?

Ray Tracing is a gimmick feature until Gen III or IV.
Same with most gimmick features or hardware, like VR or whatever else.

Give it time to mature. At first it stands out as a feature, then it becomes a standard.
If AMD isn't that great at ray tracing, it's not really a big deal to me. Yet.

At a certain point, it will be a standard that I expect AMD to keep up with.
For now, I just won't pay it much mind until the RT game library is significantly larger.

As it is, AMD has unleashed a demon whose stare will penetrate deep into Jensen's heart.
How will he sleep at night? Will he?

Perhaps not.

The rumors and leaks were spot on - looking forward to reading reviews but it's definitely looking like AMD is back at the high end.

The 300W total power draw was what surprised me the most - thought for sure these guys would all be pigs. I'm sure AIBs will be hawgs, mind you.

I'm looking forward to see how Nvidia will respond, especially with where they take the 3090. I imagine the 3080 TI will replace the 3090 and the 3090... a footnote in GPU history?

Back