Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards - 11am CDT 10/28/20

What I love is that they produced something that is fast but, will be even faster when paired with a 5000 series CPU and 500 series chipset. That is giving the finger to Intel and I have to say they deserve it.

Glad to see some competition. Very competitive in raster, though literally nothing about RT performance. Also seems to rely somewhat on the "Smart Access Memory" stuff. Which is a cool bonus, but I would have liked to see numbers without that.

All 3 cards are very enticing. I'm not sure if I'll switch from my 3080 to the 6800XT. But that 6900XT though is a different conversation.

Going to wait for official benchmarks, but bravo AMD!

Holy shit they did it! They actually did it! Assuming the graphs are accurate they are back in the high end game. When was the last time AMD was trading blows with Nvidia, anyone remember? I wonder how the Raytracing performance compares though, they did not compare it to Nvidias equivalent.

Glad to see some competition. Very competitive in raster, though literally nothing about RT performance. Also seems to rely somewhat on the "Smart Access Memory" stuff. Which is a cool bonus, but I would have liked to see numbers without that.
Yeah, I use nvenc a lot (shadowplay) so am curious if they improved their encoder as well.

Now I need to rethink whether I want to upgrade to Zen 3 with a new motherboard. I hadn't planned on it since we are at the end of AM4, but that frame rate boost...

I believe they showed 5-8% uplift for that Smart Memory Access.

I believe they showed 5-8% uplift for that Smart Memory Access.
Right, so without that the numbers don't look as impressive. Still very impressive but I did notice a lot of the graphs were relying on that being enabled.

...I wonder how the Raytracing performance compares though, they did not compare it to Nvidias equivalent.
That's the rub right? NVIDIA is going to scream DLSS and ray tracing performance from the tree tops (if they hadn't burned all down with power requirements).

Wow, the 6800xt is about what I was expecting. I was not expecting the heavy undercut on the 6900xt tho. Pretty impressive if the benchmarks hold up and it really is on par with a 3090.

I knew they would come through. Amazing performance and reasonable price. If they have stock they will kill it.

That's the rub right? NVIDIA is going to scream DLSS and ray tracing performance from the tree tops (if they hadn't burned all down with power requirements).
I have a feeling AMD will loose in older titles have have had Nv RT support added. However newer upcoming DX12U titles.... I wouldn't doubt the situation is reversed. Benchmarks will be interesting, not sure reviewers have enough diverse RT stuff to test to really figure out which RT method is better. Its really to bad Cyberpunk got pushed back I assume it has been optimized for both.

True. And both are amazing features. Well, AMD does have Raytracing now but there is nothing like DLSS which is a fantastic feature from Nvidia that may actually have a future in these ever increasing resolutions and texture sizes.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Very impressive showing by AMD! Makes me glad I wasn't able to get a 3080 on launch. My concerns are that at least a few of the benchmarks they showed were using the new Smart Access Memory which seems like a cool feature but I would need to upgrade my processor to take advantage of it which would add to the cost of upgrading. Also, they didn't go into ray tracing performance which leads me to believe they are indeed well behind Nvidia here. Still, I'm very excited for the new cards. The 6800XT may be in my future.

300 W TBP, $999, 3090 performance...

AMD HQ right now:

EeeH_WYXkAMxcmF.jpeg

Everything was great, but I was hoping they would talk a bit more about ray tracing.
Agreed, we are missing a decent part of the picture here with non-Smart Memory Access numbers and RT performance. Also no mention of anything to compete with DLSS as far as I saw.

Back