Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards - 11am CDT 10/28/20

Huh?
I don't have any tearing at all under the refresh rate with fast sync.
Well I dunno then. Maybe it depends upon the game. I've only been playing two games recently. Soulcalibur 6 and Dark Souls 3.

SC6 is real easy to run and the engine caps at 60fps. And fast sync is great for it

Dark Souls 3 also has its own 60fps cap does not like fast sync on my PC. tearing galore. But that game also has poor frametimes and frequently has long frametimes. I still have a quad core and I don't think Dark Souls 3 likes it.

I thought FastSync was great at first, but it's actually somewhat unreliable unless you are getting super high FPS.

Basically, unless you can safely run at over double screen refresh rate, you get these stutters and hitches. And G-Sync can't always fix this.

Yes, I actually wrote a script that moves the mouse horizontally at a fixed rate. Then I recording with the high speed mode on my phone on a few games.

While playing it looked decent, once I watched in slow-mo you could see frames doubled and overall choppiness.

Sadly I never uploaded that video (you can take my word), but you can read more about here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/8/

I thought FastSync was great at first, but it's actually somewhat unreliable unless you are getting super high FPS.

Basically, unless you can safely run at over double screen refresh rate, you get these stutters and hitches. And G-Sync can't always fix this.

Yes, I actually wrote a script that moves the mouse horizontally at a fixed rate. Then I recording with the high speed mode on my phone on a few games.

While playing it looked decent, once I watched in slow-mo you could see frames doubled and overall choppiness.

Sadly I never uploaded that video (you can take my word), but you can read more about here:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/8/
well I guess that solves it!

Huh?
I don't have any tearing at all under the refresh rate with fast sync.
Fast Sync is one of those features that have a very broad margin for meeting its implementation standard. Monitors that meet the bare minimum of it will show all sorts of edge case issues, monitors that meet all of them far less. Problem is with out tearing into it there isn’t much of a method for telling which until somebody buys and reviews it.

that said the faster you output frames and the slower the monitors actual response rate the better the tech works. 60hz when rendering 100+ fps and it works great, 144hz and 100+ fps and you are going to have problems. Games that have arbitrarily FPS limits also have issues with it. So yeah in it’s use case it works well and it’s cheap to implement and when it does work it’s better than vSync but Adaptive Sync technologies work better in more scenarios.

Last edited:
Back