Where Gaming Begins: Ep. 2 | AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards - 11am CDT 10/28/20

Built for Standard Chassis – With a length of 267mm and 2x8 standard 8-pin power connectors, and designed to operate with existing enthusiast-class 650W-750W power supplies, gamers can easily upgrade their existing large to small form factor PCs without additional

So, no more PSA on measuring twice for these? ;).

Good riddance Raja, we couldn't have done it with you. -AMD

Could not have said it better myself. Also, although I am not in the market for a new cpu of card at the moment, when I am, I will see a big boost in performance, and that is coming from someone who owns Vega 56 to RX5700 cards. :)

So the listings I've been watching have dropped from average of $2700 to average of $2100, with one at $2000. Some went down to $2400, still hoping for the best I guess LOL.

Update: Just broke the $2k threshold, one just went down to $1950! So curious to see how low it will go.

Seems 3090 prices have settled in the $2k ave this morning, though I found one for $1,750. Interested to see how long this new average price holds.

Nvidia cards seems to have been released at all sorts of retailers last night and this morning. All still sold out pretty much immediately but at least it's more stock that has hit the market.

Nvidia cards seems to have been released at all sorts of retailers last night and this morning. All still sold out pretty much immediately but at least it's more stock that has hit the market.
They problem though is how the number of people who want the 3070 cards is probably drastically more than those who want 3090 and 3080 cards. So there's an even larger demand than there was before.

Out of curiosity was Nvidia's launch date always what it was? Or was it announced when Jensen made his video for all? Some part of me thinks perhaps they moved the launch up to undercut AMD a bit *shrug* whatever.

Out of curiosity was Nvidia's launch date always what it was? Or was it announced when Jensen made his video for all? Some part of me thinks perhaps they moved the launch up to undercut AMD a bit *shrug* whatever.

They delayed the launch. Nvidia claims the delay was to avoid the issues that the 3080 and 3090 had but.....

They delayed the launch. Nvidia claims the delay was to avoid the issues that the 3080 and 3090 had but.....
Yeah I know they delayed the 3070 launch, but I'm wondering if the 3080/3090 launch was moved up to deal with AMD's potential launch (which at the time was an unknown date)

dvmh793moxv51.jpg

6o08zw9cuwv51.png

This is actually a big deal. The 3090 won't even fit my case, and it's not a SFF either.

This is actually a big deal. The 3090 won't even fit my case, and it's not a SFF either.
I agree. Phanteks Evolv Enthoo ITX here. Very restricted when it comes to slot height, can only do 2 slots. I thought I was going for the RX 6800 because the price/performance looked good, the reality is the decision was already made for me. :whistle:

So is 2.5 slots really that much better than 3 slots? I mean what would you put in half a slot?
Think of it as 3 slots vs 4 as you don't want to choke the card, or 4 vs 5 if you want to give the GPU more space to breathe. It can be relevant in some builds.

At first I thought the same thing. But if you look closely the shadows are sharper and less jagged with ray tracing.

ChadD is right though, the raster graphics looks so nice it's hard to tell the difference.

So is 2.5 slots really that much better than 3 slots? I mean what would you put in half a slot?
As others mentioned, it gives as little more room between it and whatever is nearest. Or in my mITX case, it fits where a 3-slot won't ;). In some cases if you don't have much installed it won't matter at all. Same with a shorter card... is it really that much better? If it means one fits and one doesn't, then yes :). If you have a huge case with plenty of room and no other cards installed... no, it doesn't matter much.

AMD is not against the wall, NVIDIA and Intel are.
Against the wall? Numbers say otherwise.
q3-2020-earnings-infographic.jpg
NVIDIA-Q3-2020-Earnings-Infographic.jpg

Intel 5% up YoY in Q3 sounds pretty decent considering the pandemic. And Nvidia is down a meager 5%, again considering the pandemic it could be much worse. So I have to disagree, neither AMD, Nvidia nor Intel are up against any walls here.
I couldn't tell the difference between off or on when they spoke about the raytracing. I'm getting old.
You are in fact not getting old, there was 1, count that again 1 shadow that was ray traced. Seems the rumors of AMD ray tracing being 33% weaker might be true.

Intel 5% up YoY in Q3 sounds pretty decent considering the pandemic. And Nvidia is down a meager 5%, again considering the pandemic it could be much worse. So I have to disagree, neither AMD, Nvidia nor Intel are up against any walls here.
Hehe, yeah, you understand the market I was referring to. So how is all that cash working out for them?

Well all the 3 companies are huge and not hurting. But AMD definitely has the upper hand if they execute well.

With Ryzen, they are leaps and bounds better than Intel, now in all metrics. While Intel is still the market leader, it's not likely they can turn around the ship in the next 1 or 2 years, while AMD is hitting hard and not stopping.

With Nvidia, well I don't expect AMD to dig themselves out the hole in one generation. See it took several years of improvements (and mistakes from Intel) to come out on top. Nvidia is no Intel, and they can likely be on top again in a matter of months or less than 1 year.

But, AMD may be able to make some headway in that time, and strengthen their brand for at least this generation. But no one is going out of business any time soon.

Hehe, yeah, you understand the market I was referring to. So how is all that cash working out for them?
I don't work at neither Intel nor Nvidia, so I wouldn't have any idea, but you already knew that. And I previously though asking the question just to be condescending was beneath you. How wrong I was.

Well all the 3 companies are huge and not hurting. But AMD definitely has the upper hand if they execute well.

With Ryzen, they are leaps and bounds better than Intel, now in all metrics. While Intel is still the market leader, it's not likely they can turn around the ship in the next 1 or 2 years, while AMD is hitting hard and not stopping.

With Nvidia, well I don't expect AMD to dig themselves out the hole in one generation. See it took several years of improvements (and mistakes from Intel) to come out on top. Nvidia is no Intel, and they can likely be on top again in a matter of months or less than 1 year.

But, AMD may be able to make some headway in that time, and strengthen their brand for at least this generation. But no one is going out of business any time soon.
Agree, but I also would recommend caution. No one has any of the CPUs or GPUs in hand yet to provide unbiased third party reviews, and blindly beliving any company cherry picked benchmark numbers is just a foolish.

Agree, but I also would recommend caution. No one has any of the CPUs or GPUs in hand yet to provide unbiased third party reviews, and blindly beliving any company cherry picked benchmark numbers is just a foolish.
Good point. We of course need to see independent reviews, but most of the recent rumors and leaks ended up true. That with AMD's slides gives us a good idea of what to expect.

AMD has been pretty good the last few years of being pretty accurate with their marketing numbers. I don't think anyone has accused AMD of using inflated marketing numbers.

Of course independent reviews are better... and the best reviewers may find interesting quirks or behaviors as they test more games. However AMDs numbers are likely going to be pretty much spot on. I look forward to third party reviews not really to confirm as much as to expand. AMD didn't really get into RT numbers it would be nice to see exactly how they stack up (or work) with current RT titles. I also look forward to some of the smaller reviewers that tend to benchmark games that aren't the standard 8 of the day. As well as the reviewers that get into thermals and power draw. Its nice to know if your looking at aircraft carrier noise level or something you can tame to acceptable.

Unless Intel has a miracle part they can deliver in extreme quantity before the end of the year... 2020 is AMDs year on the CPU front. They Rolfstomped Intel this year >.< Zen 2 sold better through out the year... and the year is going to end with Intel loosing the last few benchmarks gaming consumers considered. In basically every market from server to gamer Intel is in the back seat this year.

On the Nvidia side of AMDs two front war... I do not believe AMD has destroyed NV. NV shipped a TON of GPUs this year.. and even if AMD manufactured a million 6000 cards they won't catch up in total sales. However they are going to end the year it seems with the best supplied cards unless the rumors of them having decent stock levels are way off.... for the first time in a long time they are neck and neck with NV in raster, they ticked at least one feature box with RT. Then to surprise everyone they dropped some unexpected marketing check boxes that have a lot of people excited. (Smart Access memory is going to sell a lot of new Zen3 and RX6000 parts)

AMD is going to sell a ton of Zen3 chips... and if SAM turns out to be a free 5-10% boost, that is going to swing a lot of people looking at 6800s and 3080/70. The 6800 looks like its already faster then the 3070, I agree with you that it will be interesting to see fleshed out reviews of RT, and SAM. I have a feeling the 6080 non XT is going to look like a steal for 70 bucks more. AMDs RT design sounds like it should scale down better then Nvidias... as latency should be a ton lower, and actual RT core count is basically DCU count. (where as the lower end NV parts in general get heavily trimmed RT/Tensor hardware)

I have no doubt the cherry picked numbers will line up nicely, my thoughts are more about the numbers they omitted. I don't think AMD being very far behind NV in RT will be seen as an okay thing. In fact I think it'll severely hurt them unless they get in front of it and temper expectations if their performance is in fact that far behind. Rumors already circulating of 33% less performance, and I don't think that rumor even mentioned at what resolution nor at what quality levels. So it could be worse case, but it could also be best case. We'll have to wait and see, unfortunately.

Anyone else feels this might be the worst paper launch ever? "Teased" over a month ago, "launched" less than 24 hours ago, "Release" still weeks away. Really sucks.

I think it's too early to say. If they have stock in Nov, then it's not a paper launch.

Also, their slides also show them losing in some big games. I think they were honest, otherwise they could just cherry-pick all the games they win.

I really doubt that AMD has a paper launch here but I am 100% sure they are far short of meeting demand. Instead of selling out in seconds, I’ll give them a minute.

I think a paper launch by Nv pissing off thousands (tens of thousands, more?) of customers hurts way more than a supposed few fps (yet to even be even confirmed btw) in a ray tracing feature used by a handful of games hurts AMD. Maybe I'm wrong, but the forums are lit.

Last edited:
I think a paper launch by Nv pissing off thousands (tens of thousands, more?) of customers hurts way more than a supposed few fps (yet to even be even confirmed btw) in a ray tracing feature used by a handful of games hurts AMD. Maybe I'm wrong, but the forums are lit.
Until I see numbers I’m not going to call it a paper launch. I might only be in Canada buy in my attempts to score some 3090’s my suppliers aren’t complaining about the supply or lack there of but they are quite vocal about the amount of requests they are getting and how they can’t keep up. My CDW rep told me and again very small sample size, that hes moved more 3080’s in a month than he did 2080TI in 2 years.

I really doubt that AMD has a paper launch here but I am 100% sure they are far short of meeting demand. Instead of selling out in seconds, I’ll give them a minute.
Of course they're going to fall far short of demand. There's no way AMD ordered enough chips and cards to satisfy the demand for their cards and nVidia's at the same time since nVidia can't get stock out.

Back