Where do you guys buy DVD+R DL media (preferably Verbatim)

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Verbatim is made in Singapore, the others are from Taiwan. I need large quantity. I'm aiming at shipment from either US, Canada or Japan. So far, the largest size I got is 30 packs.

newegg.com, they have the 20 pack for $25 all the time, free shipping too

that price is quite high, as it's only 2.4X. Ebay has better price than that.

yes, i looked again at the sam's specs, it says 2.4x to 6x burning, but it appears you are looking for online anyway, all good to get around tax if shipping is thrown in for free

we have a thread on burning speed in ?? sub-forum, that if the rated speed is 2.4X, you can only burn it at 2.4X or lower.

It's extremely imperative that you can't burn it at a higher speed. In your link, burn it at 2.4X but not higher

What really confuses me is that in the 8X barrel that Verbatim says up to 10X, and yet they rated their barrel at 8X, so it's very unclear.

we have a thread on burning speed in ?? sub-forum, that if the rated speed is 2.4X, you can only burn it at 2.4X or lower.

It's extremely imperative that you can't burn it at a higher speed. In your link, burn it at 2.4X but not higher

What really confuses me is that in the 8X barrel that Verbatim says up to 10X, and yet they rated their barrel at 8X, so it's very unclear.

yes, it's all quite unclear/confusing... i'm quite happy with the verbatims though. good luck with the search and if you find a great online deal let us know

As a note, Verbatim isn't made exclusively in Singapore anymore. Be sure to read the label. The ones made outside of Singapore (India or Taiwan / etc) are usually junk. Look for "made in Singapore" on the box.

As a note, Verbatim isn't made exclusively in Singapore anymore. Be sure to read the label. The ones made outside of Singapore (India or Taiwan / etc) are usually junk. Look for "made in Singapore" on the box.

just bought another 50 pack from sam's club...looked @ box...made in singapore.

The prices are close enough. Yes, if you're buying 5 and are not getting charged more than about $10 for shipping and 0 tax, then it is a few cents cheaper. I need only one cake and for those looking for a small volume purchase, amazon is the best in this case. But Rima has great prices and genuine Taiyo Yuden. That's the only place I buy the regular media and TY.

I ends up buying some MAxell DVD+R DL for $0.8/ each. The Question nows stands if I should stock more.

I remember back in Xmas 2007, Staples has Single Layer DVD+R 100 pack for $18.96. Before that, $29.99 is consider a great price. But in the past 2 yr., $19.00 is a great price for single layer 100 pack.

So I wonder if DL will drop in price too. I only bought QTY 250.

EDIT:

I returned all 250 Maxell DL. They are ALL Defective. It's not just me, many people who bought it has the same problems. The burn process stopped half way.

Amazon just lowered the price of those Verbatim to 34.99 and it's free shipping for me, so I'll go w/ them

Last edited:
I get all my media from J&R in NYC. CD-Rs 100 spindle $10, 100 DVDs $12.99, 10 DLs - $10.
Prices did go up recently, after Thanksgiving. I got a 4gb SD for $6.99, now it's like $9.99.
BTW, forget B&H. Too expensive. Dont bother going there as it's always a zoo. Why bother standing 1hour on line just to save $2 vs. J&R, Adorama, etc.?

After returning those Maxell DL, I just refund 350 Single layer Maxell DVD+R. This time I open just 1 box, burn 4 disc., all 4 failed on 2 different DVD burner.

I then dig a little deeper, turns out some other people have the same problem, and they recommend a software called DVD Identifier. I then find out that Maxell recently switch supplier, the recession must have really get to them.

ALL MAXELL ARE NOW RITEK DISC

I then dig out the old Maxell single layer DVD+R that I have, they were CMC Magnetics or Pro Disc.

This is the problem w/ these Ritek disc

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

reflectivity and degradation concerns, DL has layer break issues

I then go back and buy from another store some new Maxell DVD+R w/ old packaging. And it works.

newegg or amazon for verbatim

if you're in NY, you dont have to pay tax w/ newegg i think. but you do w/ amazon.

What do you guys use so many 8.5 gb discs for?

I'm just curious is there an advantage to using DL over single if you don't need the extra space?

I'm going to backup my DVD library pretty soon using AnyDVD, but I'm curious if I should spend the extra cash for DL or just use inexpensive single layers?

You're better off going with a 1.5 or 2tb hard drive with rips on them if you have a way of playing them back from the disc (htpc, or even one of those WD players or something)

Anyways, if you want to use discs, most movies would fit on single layer discs with minimal shrinking, so for 300 movies you'd probably only need ~50 DL discs to avoid shrinking at all if you cut extras and such.

Thanks, I'm going to stick to single layer then.

As for the HDD I have a 1 TB I am going to use for this purpose, but I don't watch any movies on the computer, and usually just use my PS3 for playback. So I am just going to use the 1TB hdd for compressed backups of the library.

Back