Where did all the normal motherboards and components go?

ymer

Limp Gawd
Back in my day (Athlon days) you could pickup a normal motherboard and ram for a low price with all the functions that you needed.

Now everything is gamer this gamer that, enthusiast bs all around.

Where can I get decent RAM with a green PCB with only memory chips? seems that to get some decent performance I have to pay for RGB leds on everything and in your face bold heatsinks.

Same for motherboards, I don't want to pay for colored stuff and anodized unnecesary heatsinks everywhere.

old fart rant over :mad:

You have to buy real equipment. Like from SuperMicro. All this jazzy shit is annoying and the boards are junk. I've never had a SuperMicro board fail. Every consumer or gamer board or whatever has failed on me. Every single one.

I use the 'workstation' prefix when looking for boards n such for just that reason.

A local place has their own branded RAM with lifetime warranty on green PCB's with usually Samsung chips.

Hmm SuperMicro sounds very expensive so does looking for "Workstation", usually 3x the price just for having "Workstation" name.

Whatever happened to ECS boards, are they still a thing? I remember they were not super feature rich but very good back in the day and cheap cheap.

You can usually get cheaper Biostar boards. Probably about the same as ECS.

You have to buy real equipment. Like from SuperMicro. All this jazzy shit is annoying and the boards are junk. I've never had a SuperMicro board fail. Every consumer or gamer board or whatever has failed on me. Every single one.

SuperMicro stopped being worth anything in 2003. All of their boards used to be designed and built in the USA, then they moved their manufacturing and eventually design overseas and have been crap ever since.

I've had a few customers with SuperMicro boards since and they were awful. The most recent was an LGA1155 board which had an integrated ATI Rage XL from 1997 for video. I can't fathom their terrible design methodology when most LGA1155 CPUs have IGPs which are from this century.

Like from SuperMicro

Not AMD friendly :)

To some extent, i cannot really blame anyone except "gamers" (i hate that term for what it dictates). Just cannot sell.. will remind you that this market as a whole was going down the drain and rapidly; what saved it is that intellectually challenged category that confuses RGB lights, bubbles and wow effects with quality. You alienate those and as stated, you just don't sell.
Sadly, needless to say.

Yes the bling has become the reason to buy, quality and support down the tubes.

While I am a fan of the 'bling', I agree that quality and customer support has taken a dip. I remember the days (2001-ish) when I could email ASUS about an issue with a board and get a response back almost right away. Now I'm lucky to get a response in less than a week and it's usually some canned script that doesn't do me any good.

That said, my main PC uses an X99 Deluxe from Asus and I haven't had any issues with it that weren't my fault. Though, it was quite expensive when I bought it.

I have seen a YouTube clip a while ago where they made 2 pc's, one with more generic hardware and one with as much gaming branded stuff as they could find, performance difference was mostly within margin of error, also price wise there was hardly a difference.

Back