Where can I get i7 920/D0 with D0 stepping?

Yah the c0 i replaced had only about 4c or less difference as well. It appears I just got some bad luck (story of my life :eek:)

I wouldn't worry about it too much if your temps are still within a reasonable range. If it really bothers you or the highest temp is at an abnormal level, you might want to RMA it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if your temps are still within a reasonable range. If it really bothers you or the highest temp is at an abnormal level, you might want to RMA it.

Yah, technically I have no room to complain as the hottest core only reaches borderline levels when pushed to 4ghz.. I clocked it back down to its stock speed, and even the hottest proc never got above 70, it's just bothersome when at the same time I see the other cores up to 10c cooler. Just suxs because I paid 45 bucks more than necessary for a d0 that has ... "issues", :p

^^^You know, every thread like this seems to get derailed by this non-topical debate (even though nobody really asked). Look at this one... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1407766

Thats why I started this thread... as it reads >> "WHERE CAN I GET ONE?" Your cost/benefit breakdown is nice and all, but thats what many other threads are for. Please, read the OP and stay on topic..... mmmmmmmmkay? Otherwise, I suppose we can discuss how the latest AMD phenom 2's will be kicking i7-920 arse in a few weeks.

Not in 3dmark 2001:D

^^^not going to respond to that (which was the point).

I suppose I need to change the title of this thread to "C0 vs. D0", rather than what it was...lol.

Fine, I give up. If anyone can chime in with commentary/info as to how the W3520 varies from these, be my guest. All I see online are benchmarks where the W3520 performs worse than the i7-920, but this is most likely going to change if ECC is removed. Still, I wonder if anyone has tried to overclock a W3520 yet... in theory it should be the same.

I guess i should have saved up my wows for that one instead. :eek:

Thanks for the links Fafeifa. :) Oh and running at stock speed still has the same issue although not quite as pronounced. I differences shrink to about 8c instead of 10.

If i was you, i'd try to exchange the cpu if not i'd RMA this to intel because it has clear symptoms even its running without problems, i suppose you are a experienced user and know how to properly sit a cpu. Before you lap it contact intel and tell them your system crashes due to the core's heat. And it won't be a set back to you since you have a C0 to run it while the D0 is taking the ride.

If i was you, i'd try to exchange the cpu if not i'd RMA this to intel because it has clear symptoms even its running without problems, i suppose you are a experienced user and know how to properly sit a cpu. Before you lap it contact intel and tell them your system crashes due to the core's heat. And it won't be a set back to you since you have a C0 to run it while the D0 is taking the ride.

Good news! It turns out after a conversation with Central regarding my weird situtation, they let me exchange it with a new d0. I now sit here and it reads (at idle - stock speed):

core0 36
core1 36
core2 39
core3 36

Booted in to vista, hit the core temp shortcut and just said WOW with the greatest relief. I am SO glad i was able to exchange it. Not only does this have all the core temps identical (save for core2 off by only 3), it actually runs COOLER overall than the other d0. :cool:

I still may lap this thing one day. In the meantime, it's time to see what this badboy can do!

Happy endings kick ass! :):):)

BTW - Central raised their prices on the 920s by 5 bucks but they still have plenty of d0s left (sunnyvale). They're were overall pretty cool bout the exchange (surprisingly). Things have changed, I know 10 years ago they woulda gave me hell. :)

Just a follow up.

I'm now writing to you while running at 4.0ghz at the same voltage as my old defective d0 (1.256v) at 100% load via 8 instances of memtest running, and for kicks a youtube video playing in "hd" mode (system is still so responsive) and my temps are:

63c
62c
62c
60c

Sooo much better. :D
Looks like the one "hotter" core :p doesn't stand out while under load, only at idle. :cool:

I'll run some prime95 tests as I know it seems to bring my temps higher. I'll have to test it's stability overnight (it must be close) and see if I can start inching down the votage... or get greedy and go for 4.2 :D.

how i can see the i7 if it has D0 or the C0 because i bought one and I dont know if I have it or no

SLBEJ = D0
SLBCH = C0

edit: should have refreshed the page !

Last edited:
Just a follow up.

I'm now writing to you while running at 4.0ghz at the same voltage as my old defective d0 (1.256v) at 100% load via 8 instances of memtest running, and for kicks a youtube video playing in "hd" mode (system is still so responsive) and my temps are:

63c
62c
62c
60c

Sooo much better. :D
Looks like the one "hotter" core :p doesn't stand out while under load, only at idle. :cool:

I'll run some prime95 tests as I know it seems to bring my temps higher. I'll have to test it's stability overnight (it must be close) and see if I can start inching down the votage... or get greedy and go for 4.2 :D.

Congrats on the outcome, I'm dealing with the same thing on my W3520, but I had it on my 2 C0/C1's as well, so I'm hoping it's the heatsink. I will know after I get some sleep

FWIW, there are two D0's.... SLBED and SLBEJ. I now have a SLBEJ coming to me from Cali. Thanks guys.

Perhaps the two sSpecs account for the varied results with overclocking...

BTW - Central raised their prices on the 920s by 5 bucks but they still have plenty of d0s left (sunnyvale). They're were overall pretty cool bout the exchange (surprisingly). Things have changed, I know 10 years ago they woulda gave me hell. :)

Nice to hear things worked out for you, now enjoy your rig :p. Things have changed because now guess where you'll get your next cpu :D. Retailers have learned that they must treat nice the customers otherwise they go online and lose business. That is why i always get my stuff at the egg cuz the only reputable electronics dealer i have nearby is Worst Buy

Does anyone know what stepping Microcenter stores currently carry (in store)?

Does anyone know what stepping Microcenter stores currently carry (in store)?

If you another thread similar to this one, I posted there saying MC only have C0 now. Was there looking and everything was still C0, no sigh of any D0 yet. I will check regularly and report back as I find out.

Yah I was just about to post this as well. I was just at the sunnyvale Central Computers a few hours ago and they got CLEANED OUT. They only have one i7 920 left and it's a c0. The guy wasn't able to tell me when they'll be getting more.

Microcenter told me they need to clear our their c0's first (still had 72 of them) so they weren't able to give me a date either. If you have the patience, you can score a d0 from them eventually for alot less.

Last edited:
Nice to hear things worked out for you, now enjoy your rig :p. Things have changed because now guess where you'll get your next cpu :D. Retailers have learned that they must treat nice the customers otherwise they go online and lose business. That is why i always get my stuff at the egg cuz the only reputable electronics dealer i have nearby is Worst Buy

Thanks man! :cool:

I like the egg too but they charge tax (which is almost 10% now here in CA) and aren't always good about returns (certain items like displays and their dead/stuck pixel policy).

BTW, this d0, while it needs much less voltage to run at 3.8 or 4.0, it doesn't run significantly cooler than my old c0. Today was a hot one and I had to clock it back down to 3.8 @ 1.75v. =/ I got the impression this d0 ran cooler than the exchanged d0 probably because of how hot the defective d0 core0 was getting. It could very well be the last d0 just had mis-calibrated temp sensors. Oh well one day I'll get water cooling and see where it takes me. ;)

Yah I was just about to post this as well. I was just at the sunnyvale MC a few hours ago and they got CLEANED OUT. They only have one i7 920 left and it's a c0. The guy wasn't able to tell me when they'll be getting more.

Microcenter told me they need to clear our their c0's first (still had 72 of them) so they weren't able to give me a date either. If you have the patience, you can score a d0 from them eventually for alot less.

microcenter which i got my cpu for 199.99, but it is still good deal for that price, but now i realize that there is two type cpu i7 :( if i knew it i would pay more for the different, by the way do you know what different between c0 or D0, what I read it just alittle bit faster for OC or I am wrong?

Yah I was just about to post this as well. I was just at the sunnyvale MC a few hours ago and they got CLEANED OUT. They only have one i7 920 left and it's a c0. The guy wasn't able to tell me when they'll be getting more.

I saw them restocking i7 920 within a week

microcenter which i got my cpu for 199.99, but it is still good deal for that price, but now i realize that there is two type cpu i7 :( if i knew it i would pay more for the different, by the way do you know what different between c0 or D0, what I read it just alittle bit faster for OC or I am wrong?

From my personal experience. The difference is voltage levels for the same clock speed. Oddly though, it's not heat. You'd expect this d0 3.8ghz @ 1.175v to run cooler than my old c0 3.8 @ 1.26v but it doesn't. However I wasn't even able to push my old c0 in to the 4ghz zone where this d0 at least lets me - I just cant manage the heat. So provided you got some uber cooling, perhaps a stout water cooling solution, at least the d0 gives you the option to one day go well in to the 4ghz territory. To be honest for 200 bucks you made out pretty well provided you can at least bring it to 3.8. Hell that's all I'm able to run this d0 right now (because of heat), so really I just paid 100 bucks more than you just to have the option to one day go a few hundred mhz further. I'd say, be happy and put that extra 100 bucks you would spent towards a gtx 295. :D

From my personal experience. The difference is voltage levels for the same clock speed. Oddly though, it's not heat. You'd expect this d0 3.8ghz @ 1.175v to run cooler than my old c0 3.8 @ 1.26v but it doesn't. However I wasn't even able to push my old c0 in to the 4ghz zone where this d0 at least lets me - I just cant manage the heat.

When you're talking about heat, what exactly do you mean? Are them temps too high? If so, what are the idle/load temps that you're seeing?

Your clock speed has a far greater effect on temps than voltage. An i7 running 1.4v at stock speed will be way cooler than an i7 running at 1.175v at 4ghz. The heat output of a d0 will essentially be the same as a c0 if there was any significant change intel would have changed the tdp but they didn't it's still the same clock for clock they just can run at lower voltage which gives you more overclock headroom.

it seems all i7 chips are like that, I've had 3 (including w3520)
3839A459 (C0/C1) = max 3.8 w/HT, 4.05 w/o temps were decent less than 80c, but vcor was in the 1.4-1.45v under load
3837A908 (C0/C1) = max 3.95 w/HT, 4.15 w/o same temps 1.35v-1.4v under load
(D0) = 4.2 w/HT, w/o ??, same temps, 1.2v-1.25v under load

when I say "underload" I mean prime small fft's for hrs,one of the C0's hated the 20x multi, all had a 4c-8c difference on the cores, above temps quoted max core temp. IMHO H20 would have been a waste for me on the first 2 chips. I still have more testing to do on the Xeon, so I'll decide on the water later. picked up a TR True today for comparison sake. Searching my batch # took me to a german site with a few samples of this batch @ 4.5-4.6 using water, so I'll see where I can get in a 23c-25c ambient room, then the comp is going in the window as it's a nice 1c outside tonight/tomorrow, and that should give me an idea what water will get me

Your clock speed has a far greater effect on temps than voltage. An i7 running 1.4v at stock speed will be way cooler than an i7 running at 1.175v at 4ghz. The heat output of a d0 will essentially be the same as a c0 if there was any significant change intel would have changed the tdp but they didn't it's still the same clock for clock they just can run at lower voltage which gives you more overclock headroom.

exactly, well said, the "b" series c0's were like that as well initialy as well. I still haven't seen B's in my area yet

I got my i7 from newegg about 2 weeks ago - i got a C0 with pack day of november '08.

I'm not bitter though, it is overnight prime stable @ 4095mhz/1.344v :) Temps stay under 68c (LinX) or 65c (Prime95)

Just a quick question are most ppl who are able to run their i7 @ 4ghz+ (c0 or d0) water only? Or do we have some peeps on air? If so what is your setup (HSF and general case fan setup).

I just can't seem to pull it off be it case open or not. 3.8ghz seems to be the max heat i can handle no matter what I try. Prime load at ~80c @ around ~70-75f room temp. It climbs up to scary temps on hot days like 85-90f.

I'm using:
- thermalright ultra extreme 1366 (6 heat pipes but not direct touch) 1x 120mm x25mm (1500rpm)
- Antec 300 case
- 3x 120mm x 25mm (1200rpm) fans blowing in
- 1 120mm x 38mm (2000rpm) blowing out behind cpu
- 1 140mm x 25mm (unkown speed, max speed on switch) blowing out above cpu.

Last edited:
Just a quick question are most ppl who are able to run their i7 @ 4ghz+ (c0 or d0) water only? Or do we have some peeps on air? If so what is your setup (HSF and general case fan setup).

My C0 gets 4.0 GHz on air. That's with hyper threading disabled and Vcore set to 1.3750v in BIOS (1.344v idle | 1.328v load CPU-Z). Using a TRUE-120 with a Scythe SFF21F and Arctic Cooling MX-2 TIM.

From my personal experience. The difference is voltage levels for the same clock speed. Oddly though, it's not heat. You'd expect this d0 3.8ghz @ 1.175v to run cooler than my old c0 3.8 @ 1.26v but it doesn't. However I wasn't even able to push my old c0 in to the 4ghz zone where this d0 at least lets me - I just cant manage the heat. So provided you got some uber cooling, perhaps a stout water cooling solution, at least the d0 gives you the option to one day go well in to the 4ghz territory. To be honest for 200 bucks you made out pretty well provided you can at least bring it to 3.8. Hell that's all I'm able to run this d0 right now (because of heat), so really I just paid 100 bucks more than you just to have the option to one day go a few hundred mhz further. I'd say, be happy and put that extra 100 bucks you would spent towards a gtx 295. :D

thank you for the good point of the advice, so I was happy that I save 100 dollar off :)

Back