Where can I get i7 920/D0 with D0 stepping?

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
I think that explains it... what shops can I buy from that will sort and give me a D0 i7 920?

Im looking for 'right now' I have seen that link, thank you, but Im wondering if people have had luck elsewhere...

newegg apparently is shipping D0s but it's luck of the draw if you get one from them

Don't waste your time, newegg never hand-picks cpus or any items for that matter, for that you go to tankguys.

The only thing that has come to light is that the W3520 has ECC coding for server use.

Does this present any snags as far as making it work in a system w/o ECC memory? It also looks like the W3520 wont support XMP for the memory, so I would imagine (unless this is wrong) that it wont overclock as well.

Last edited:
tankguys.com has the D0 stepping back in stock. I just ordered mine with 2 day shipping. It was $319.99 + $20.03 s/h = $340.02

They were in stock about an hour ago. It's just a hot product. I would have gotten on, but I already have an i7 920 and $340 is too rich for my blood. I'l wait until they are in a micro center and drive another 3 hours each way to buy one for $230 first.

The sad part is there doesn't seem to be greater efficiency. People are seeing the same temps just at higher clocks and lower voltage. I guess that's why Intel didn't changed the TDP.

I'm pretty happy with my current 920 i see no need to spend more money for 400 or may be 500 more mhz's

^^^You know, every thread like this seems to get derailed by this non-topical debate (even though nobody really asked). Look at this one... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1407766

Thats why I started this thread... as it reads >> "WHERE CAN I GET ONE?" Your cost/benefit breakdown is nice and all, but thats what many other threads are for. Please, read the OP and stay on topic..... mmmmmmmmkay? Otherwise, I suppose we can discuss how the latest AMD phenom 2's will be kicking i7-920 arse in a few weeks.

So it's still either TankGuys or lottery? No one else is even offering to sell a guaranteed D0?

I just got a d0 last night from central computers. Had to pay a premium for it because they won't match microcenter's price (or anyone for that matter). Didn't have to pay tax though thankfully (some no tax sale they got going). They have a few more, however they have no return policy for it if you open it.

So how does it compare to my c0/c1 (which I'm returning to frys of course). To be honest, I'm a little dissappointed. I knew it'd be a gamble and well, you tell me how I faired.

My c0/c1, I was easily able to achieve 3.8 @ 1.225v. After that it seemed as though it didn't matter how much volts I fed it, it just would never stay stable. With a thermalright ultra extreme, idle is around 38-40, load 73-75.

With this d0, I was able to achieve the same, 3.8 at only 1.75v. Great right? Even more great is i'm finally able to have a stable 4.0ghz @ 1.25v. Awesome!

BUT!! Here comes the catch. Something is wrong. Core 0 and core 2 is hotter than the rest by a significant margine. Core 0 in particular is extremely hot, especially compared to core 3 (the coolest core). The heat delta is as much as 10c at mid to full load! It's enough so that I believe it's the core limiting me from going higher. Hell at this point I don't even know if it's safe to run 4.0 this coming summer. On prime95, core 0 will be hitting 81-82 at peak while core 3 will be sitting at a comfortable 71-72. It's rediculous! Either I have a retarded d0 or ... I dunno, cpu isn't level? I've tried doing the whole dot of thermal paste (artic 5) in the middle of both HSF and cpu and it was even worse. Putting a thin layer evenly across both seemed to fair a little better but I am still left with this huge heat descrepency! I know my C0/C1 never had this. Not sure what to do, I doubt they'll let me return it or exchange it. Central has never been known to be "friendly" with that sorta thing. The only thing I can hope for is that it is it's a contact issue and something resolvable.

I'm open to suggestions/theories/flames etc.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention (sorry that was a blackberry post lol), overall the temps of the d0 was NOT much cooler, even at 3.8. Bout the same really - higher actually if you take in account for that damn core 0! Currenly my idle temps at 4.0ghz ranges from 46-47c (core0 of course:rolleyes:) to 40c(core3)

Last edited:
that's normal. It's the same way on my C0 920, so you got nothing to worry about. Just make sure you load temps gon't go too high and you'll be fine.

that's normal. It's the same way on my C0 920, so you got nothing to worry about. Just make sure you load temps gon't go too high and you'll be fine.

Really? 10c difference? Well then... Short of water cooling, it doesn't seem like I'll be able even keep this d0 at 4ghz when it starts getting hot. All because of that one core really. :(

Really? 10c difference? Well then... Short of water cooling, it doesn't seem like I'll be able even keep this d0 at 4ghz when it starts getting hot. All because of that one core really. :(

Thx for sharing your impressions with us, Have you tried running at stock speeds and see for the difference in the temps across the cores? Would you think that the problem is that the cpu IHS is concave making the temperatures discrepancies? I have had this problem on my C0 build, had to lap the IHS but that voids the warranty. I don't know how important is that for you but i think is too early to jump onto a new revision. May be E0 or 32nm imo.

Thx for sharing your impressions with us, Have you tried running at stock speeds and see for the difference in the temps across the cores? Would you think that the problem is that the cpu IHS is concave making the temperatures discrepancies? I have had this problem on my C0 build, had to lap the IHS but that voids the warranty. I don't know how important is that for you but i think is too early to jump onto a new revision. May be E0 or 32nm imo.

You know what, I haven't even tried stock settings yet. First thing i did was boot up with PC with the same clock settings as my old c0 @ 3.8 and then started inching down the voltage. :D But I can try that and report back. Something tells me it'll be the same.

It very well maybe the surface isn't complete flat (or concave). I don't have any measurement tools precise enough to measure such a thing though. I figure the thermal paste should be able to account for such manufacturing tolerances. It figures it would be my bad luck though, the one time I took a gamble.

What do you mean lap it? do you mean take it to a machine shop and have them laythe it perfectly flat? If so I wouldn't even know where to begin. LOL Like who could i trust to handle the proc with enough care as they take a layer off the top. How much can they take off? Which shop could even do such a service... I would have so many questions/worries lol.

Oh and one thing interesting I should note, the pack date on my c0 is actually LATER than the pack date of this d0 (by a bout a month) so it appears intel is still pumping out old stock of c0/c1s.

It is kinda proven to be a great overclocker. To some that 60 bucks is worth getting to 4.3+ with no snags...other it dont

It is kinda proven to be a great overclocker. To some that 60 bucks is worth getting to 4.3+ with no snags...other it dont

Well this is an artificial high, in couple weeks you can get it for $270 shipped at retailers with fast inventory turnover. So the question is if its worth to be ahead of the curve just for couple weeks. ;), is not like the D0s will never be released to the public and generally later weeks tends to perform better than earlier weeks.

KVM
You can lap a cpu with sandpaper and some good patience it'll help you reduce temps but voids the warranty. I've lapped 2 I7's and saw some drop in the temperature, but you have to lap your HSF too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVXuZTuoEuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1s1-nXj0o

Well this is an artificial high, in couple weeks you can get it for $270 shipped at retailers with fast inventory turnover. So the question is if its worth to be ahead of the curve just for couple weeks. ;), is not like the D0s will never be released to the public and generally later weeks tends to perform better than earlier weeks.

KVM
You can lap a cpu with sandpaper and some good patience it'll help you reduce temps but voids the warranty. I've lapped 2 I7's and saw some drop in the temperature, but you have to lap your HSF too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVXuZTuoEuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L1s1-nXj0o

:eek:
Wow.

OK then. So ya, I'm gunna try just rotating my heat sink and see what results i get and if that proves fruitless, I'll umm... order me some sandpapper n'stuff.

Thanks for that Fafeifa, it looks like something that could be beneficial anyways. :cool: As far as warranty, whatevers. I've never RMA'd a proc in my life and don't even think most of us could qualify for such a thing since we all are about overclocking. ;)

:eek:
Wow.

OK then. So ya, I'm gunna try just rotating my heat sink and see what results i get and if that proves fruitless, I'll umm... order me some sandpapper n'stuff.

Thanks for that Fafeifa, it looks like something that could be beneficial anyways. :cool: As far as warranty, whatevers. I've never RMA'd a proc in my life and don't even think most of us could qualify for such a thing since we all are about overclocking. ;)

Sure i've lapped mine and it helped although you need to do it like the video says otherwise you end up with an uneven surface.
For sandpaper i go my local store get some 400 and 800 grit so i can start removing the most material, then i get these i bought two sets to finish off the cpu and heatsink. Once lapped you'll need a really small quantity of thermal paste.
If you are not faint hearted you can always try this but success rate is 25%.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Not sure if the D0s are any different, but for what it's worth, the most I ever see is a 4*C difference between the cores on my C0.

If you are not faint hearted you can always try this but success rate is 25%.

I guess i should have saved up my wows for that one instead. :eek:

Thanks for the links Fafeifa. :) Oh and running at stock speed still has the same issue although not quite as pronounced. I differences shrink to about 8c instead of 10.

Not sure if the D0s are any different, but for what it's worth, the most I ever see is a 4*C difference between the cores on my C0.

Yah the c0 i replaced had only about 4c or less difference as well. It appears I just got some bad luck (story of my life :eek:)

Back