Where can I get i7 920/D0 with D0 stepping?

holy crap 80c. i know these i7s are supposed to run hot, but 80c is a lot.

Yeah, but you've got alot more on the die this time around. Mem controller, etc. Additionally, you are talking about 4 cores, 2 threads per. It's gonna generate some heat.

80C at load is about right if it's OCed @ all at 4.0+ with a mediocre cooler.

Just a quick question are most ppl who are able to run their i7 @ 4ghz+ (c0 or d0) water only? Or do we have some peeps on air? If so what is your setup (HSF and general case fan setup).

I just can't seem to pull it off be it case open or not. 3.8ghz seems to be the max heat i can handle no matter what I try. Prime load at ~80c @ around ~70-75f room temp. It climbs up to scary temps on hot days like 85-90f.

I'm using:
- thermalright ultra extreme 1366 (6 heat pipes but not direct touch) 1x 120mm x25mm (1500rpm)
- Antec 300 case
- 3x 120mm x 25mm (1200rpm) fans blowing in
- 1 120mm x 38mm (2000rpm) blowing out behind cpu
- 1 140mm x 25mm (unkown speed, max speed on switch) blowing out above cpu.

Could be your IHS is bowed/warped/not flat, or your heatsink is. Or you've got bad heatsink paste application...

Are you running with hyperthreading on? Disabling HT made a large (15c) difference in my temps. I am running on are - a noctua cooler (in my sig) on a c0 920 @ 4095mhz.

Kvw: depending on what your load is and for how long, that temp could be normal. Like I said, Prime95 got mine up to 95-96, and the CPU will start thermal throttling come 100c.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I just got a d0 last night from central computers. Had to pay a premium for it because they won't match microcenter's price (or anyone for that matter). Didn't have to pay tax though thankfully (some no tax sale they got going). They have a few more, however they have no return policy for it if you open it.

So how does it compare to my c0/c1 (which I'm returning to frys of course). To be honest, I'm a little dissappointed. I knew it'd be a gamble and well, you tell me how I faired.

My c0/c1, I was easily able to achieve 3.8 @ 1.225v. After that it seemed as though it didn't matter how much volts I fed it, it just would never stay stable. With a thermalright ultra extreme, idle is around 38-40, load 73-75.

With this d0, I was able to achieve the same, 3.8 at only 1.75v. Great right? Even more great is i'm finally able to have a stable 4.0ghz @ 1.25v. Awesome!

BUT!! Here comes the catch. Something is wrong. Core 0 and core 2 is hotter than the rest by a significant margine. Core 0 in particular is extremely hot, especially compared to core 3 (the coolest core). The heat delta is as much as 10c at mid to full load! It's enough so that I believe it's the core limiting me from going higher. Hell at this point I don't even know if it's safe to run 4.0 this coming summer. On prime95, core 0 will be hitting 81-82 at peak while core 3 will be sitting at a comfortable 71-72. It's rediculous! Either I have a retarded d0 or ... I dunno, cpu isn't level? I've tried doing the whole dot of thermal paste (artic 5) in the middle of both HSF and cpu and it was even worse. Putting a thin layer evenly across both seemed to fair a little better but I am still left with this huge heat descrepency! I know my C0/C1 never had this. Not sure what to do, I doubt they'll let me return it or exchange it. Central has never been known to be "friendly" with that sorta thing. The only thing I can hope for is that it is it's a contact issue and something resolvable.

I'm open to suggestions/theories/flames etc.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention (sorry that was a blackberry post lol), overall the temps of the d0 was NOT much cooler, even at 3.8. Bout the same really - higher actually if you take in account for that damn core 0! Currenly my idle temps at 4.0ghz ranges from 46-47c (core0 of course:rolleyes:) to 40c(core3)

man dont say that. you know they all run great, cooler, etc.

Just a quick question are most ppl who are able to run their i7 @ 4ghz+ (c0 or d0) water only? Or do we have some peeps on air? If so what is your setup (HSF and general case fan setup).

I just can't seem to pull it off be it case open or not. 3.8ghz seems to be the max heat i can handle no matter what I try. Prime load at ~80c @ around ~70-75f room temp. It climbs up to scary temps on hot days like 85-90f.

I think most people run 3.8ghz for 24/7, some folks turn off HT and run 4-4.2ghz although I really don't understand why anyone would buy an i7 and then turn off HT, might as well stick with last generation if your going to do that. Then there are some incredibly lucky folks out there that can run 4-4.2 with HT on, on air at reasonable temps...

There's not really any magic to overclocking, it's more just how lucky you are with the chip you get or how many chips your willing to buy and resell in order to eek out those last couple hundred mhz.

I pretty much guarantee you will not notice a difference between 3.8 to 4.0 in real world apps so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your just ocd like me about running at 4ghz :) because really the only noticeable difference is the number!

I think most people run 3.8ghz for 24/7, some folks turn off HT and run 4-4.2ghz although I really don't understand why anyone would buy an i7 and then turn off HT, might as well stick with last generation if your going to do that. Then there are some incredibly lucky folks out there that can run 4-4.2 with HT on, on air at reasonable temps...

There's not really any magic to overclocking, it's more just how lucky you are with the chip you get or how many chips your willing to buy and resell in order to eek out those last couple hundred mhz.

I pretty much guarantee you will not notice a difference between 3.8 to 4.0 in real world apps so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your just ocd like me about running at 4ghz :) because really the only noticeable difference is the number!

ct4000.jpg

under some load mine would get the 4.2ish with HT on. I'm on a Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight.

ct4000.jpg

under some load mine would get the 4.2ish with HT on. I'm on a Xigmatek S1283 Dark Knight.

4176 MHz, Dark Knight, Hyper Threading On, and all this at 1.16v? That must be a D0. Impressive.

as it plainly states in core temp and cpu z, it is a c0/c1. why must it be a d0? can you see the way the serial number is printed on the chip or something?

as it plainly states in core temp and cpu z, it is a c0/c1. why must it be a d0? can you see the way the serial number is printed on the chip or something?

Ah, I didn't look at the stepping in CPU-Z. Golden chip if it can be stable at that speed and voltage. It is 22x multi though.

Ah, I didn't look at the stepping in CPU-Z. Golden chip if it can be stable at that speed and voltage. It is 22x multi though.

How did he get to 22x? My asus p6t locks out my ability to go over 20x, i can only go down. I don't see an option to override. :confused:

How did he get to 22x? My asus p6t locks out my ability to go over 20x, i can only go down. I don't see an option to override. :confused:

It's a cheat lol You have to disable 3 cores and you can get the x22 multi, don't know all the details, havent done it but I know it only works with 1 core and usually when you put any kinda load on it will drop back down to x21

It's a cheat lol You have to disable 3 cores and you can get the x22 multi, don't know all the details, havent done it but I know it only works with 1 core and usually when you put any kinda load on it will drop back down to x21

Then why does CPU-Z show 4 cores and 8 threads?

I was able to run my 920 at 4.2-4.4 ghz on OCCT and orthos for awhile with ~1.25-1.32 volts, but my room was getting hot and the CPU got the around 90c, so I toned it down to 3.8.

My 920 is a C0/C1

just followed this guide: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/msi_x58_eclipse/

it may have helped that I have that same motherboard too.

You know I was taking a look at that article you linked me to see if it would have any tips and that MSI board gives you a lot more options than my Asus. Also I don't think the terminology match up perfectly. But one of the cpu functions the article said to leave on, "Enable EIST", I couldn't find but took a guess that it was c1e on the asus. Well if it was the same or not, it made a difference. I can now maintain a stable 4.02ghz clock speed at only 1.16v! And I can possibly go down even further i haven't started inching it down yet, that was just a gamble. Not sure what c1e does but the result was awesome nonetheless. Heat of course, is still an issue. I wish there was a detailed discription of each toggle on this asus bios. Some of them I can guess but like, wtf is c-state or Ao1, etc

Last edited:
Both of my old d0 and my current have a pack date of Feb. (first one 12th, current 20th).

Both of my old d0 and my current have a pack date of Feb. (first one 12th, current 20th).

IT just depends which fab produced the processor... Some more than likely switched over to the new stepping before others, which would mean some overlap in dates.

You know I was taking a look at that article you linked me to see if it would have any tips and that MSI board gives you a lot more options than my Asus. Also I don't think the terminology match up perfectly. But one of the cpu functions the article said to leave on, "Enable EIST", I couldn't find but took a guess that it was c1e on the asus. Well if it was the same or not, it made a difference. I can now maintain a stable 4.02ghz clock speed at only 1.16v! And I can possibly go down even further i haven't started inching it down yet, that was just a gamble. Not sure what c1e does but the result was awesome nonetheless. Heat of course, is still an issue. I wish there was a detailed discription of each toggle on this asus bios. Some of them I can guess but like, wtf is c-state or Ao1, etc
According to Intel, here is what EIST do:
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/203838.htm

and from Anand on c1e

C1E - Enhanced Halt State
"Whenever the OS executes the halt instruction, the CPU enters what is known as the halt state. Architecturally, what's going on in a halt state is the clock signal is shut off to the CPU for some period of time. With no clock signal, none of the logic in the chip will do anything and thus power consumption is reduced. Performance is also significantly reduced; however, the halt instruction isn't usually called during application usage, so the performance aspects of the halt state aren't very important.

The problem with the halt state is that it does nothing to reduce voltage, only current draw by stopping clocks from going to the CPU. Since Power varies linearly with both current and voltage (P = I * V), you're effectively only addressing half of the problem. The Enhanced Halt State, as Intel calls it, does two things: it reduces the clock speed of the CPU by decreasing the clock multiplier down to its minimum value (on the EE 965 series, that's 14x, or 2.8GHz), then reducing the voltage. The clock speed is reduced and then the voltage is dropped, to maintain stability.

Intel insists that the enhanced halt state is a significantly lower power state than the conventional halt state, thanks to the reduction in voltage in addition to the reduction in clock speed. While the standard halt state causes a linear reduction in power, Intel's enhanced halt state causes an exponential decrease in power, potentially offering better power savings than the standard halt state. The real world impact obviously depends on how idle your system happens to be."

IT just depends which fab produced the processor... Some more than likely switched over to the new stepping before others, which would mean some overlap in dates.

I think all the i7 comes from the costa rica fab

Don't know, he probably found some trick with his mobo but only one core is running at 22x and I guarantee it drops the multiplier as soon as it has a load on it lol

Does saying "lol" in each post make you seem edgy?

And he's correct, if there's something stressing a single core, it'll go to 22x, but if it looks to the other cores, it drops down to 21.

Does saying "lol" in each post make you seem edgy?

And he's correct, if there's something stressing a single core, it'll go to 22x, but if it looks to the other cores, it drops down to 21.

Nope, just a happy guy, smile all the time and laugh alot in rl, I have gotten alot better about my lol's because they were really bad when i first started posting on the net many moons ago and reading back the posts the amount of lols was ridiculously retarded however I still slip in the occasional lol every once in awhile (lol)

Cheers!

Okay, thanks for the help guys... one of you hinted that Central Computers had the D0's, and you are correct. Now, I had to call the store location in Santa Clara, and the sales people there added an internal message for the warehouse (that also is in Santa Clara) to be sure so ship me a SLBED or SLBEJ, and I just got it today. It was $299, but its a SLBEJ, so all is well. From the sound of it, they were sold out of C0's, but just in case, I would call them first.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=69188&czuid=1240631753890

It says SLBCH on that page, but I dont think they have any C0's left... according to the shipping guy I talked too, they were all sold out and only getting new inventory.

Time to fire up my Rampage 2 Gene... pending a thumbdrive BIOS update I would imagine...

I just checked with Microcenter in Santa Clara, CA. No d0s and no eta on getting any. It looks as though your only reliable source atm is Central. Too bad their prices still suck. :(

Hey, it beats Tankguys by a good margin... and you dont see anyone complaining about that. And the Xeon W3520 is even more, so I would consider it a good price at $299.

Okay, thanks for the help guys... one of you hinted that Central Computers had the D0's, and you are correct. Now, I had to call the store location in Santa Clara, and the sales people there added an internal message for the warehouse (that also is in Santa Clara) to be sure so ship me a SLBED or SLBEJ, and I just got it today. It was $299, but its a SLBEJ, so all is well. From the sound of it, they were sold out of C0's, but just in case, I would call them first.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=69188&czuid=1240631753890

It says SLBCH on that page, but I dont think they have any C0's left... according to the shipping guy I talked too, they were all sold out and only getting new inventory.

Time to fire up my Rampage 2 Gene... pending a thumbdrive BIOS update I would imagine...

I got a SLBCH from newegg.com on Thursday night. Right now its running rock solid stable at 3.6Ghz on my Asus P6T. Going to mess around right now and see how much higher I can take it.

How do you tell that from the code? I'm curious :) Are the C0's known to be good overclockers?

Well, many of the D0's are allowing people to hit 4 GHz or even slightly over on just air.

So far, Im at 4 GHz on my passive radiator water cooled setup (Apogee GTZ block). I havent pushed the limits... gonna wait a little longer to 'go for gold', but it looks like I gots me an overclocker here.

Intel Processor Spec Finder.

Most C0s (from what I have seen) overclock fairly well (3.6 GHz+). Some just require a higher voltage to get there. That being said, an overclock of 1 GHz (~38%) doesn't seem bad at all.

Thanks dude :) Right now 3.7Ghz is running great on my C0, will go for more gradually over time.

Well, many of the D0's are allowing people to hit 4 GHz or even slightly over on just air.

So far, Im at 4 GHz on my passive radiator water cooled setup (Apogee GTZ block). I havent pushed the limits... gonna wait a little longer to 'go for gold', but it looks like I gots me an overclocker here.

Thats awesome :D

Back