Where can I find clock/voltage curves for Vega cards?

Halon

Gawd
I have a Radeon Frontier Edition, bought mostly for tinkering with different kinds of scientific computing. The underbuilt heatsink/fan is something I knew going in and I've had alright luck playing with voltage/frequency curves in Linux for powerstates 4-7. Is there any kind of online repository for default values I can use as a reference? I can't help thinking having those baselines would help. Thanks!

Does this help? Default values in Radeon Settings:

2020-08-13 (1).jpg
Memory (minus the memory timing options):

2020-08-13 (2).jpg

Reactions: Halon
like this
This is helpful. I was tired yesterday when I posted - I’m looking for reference voltages and clocks for desktop Vega cards in general, Vega 56 and 64 alike. Thank you for posting the Vega FE curves!

This is helpful. I was tired yesterday when I posted - I’m looking for reference voltages and clocks for desktop Vega cards in general, Vega 56 and 64 alike. Thank you for posting the Vega FE curves!
Your Welcome. I have two FE's, both behave almost the same limited by the cooler mostly. Keep the HBM2 cool as in less than 70c and you can OC it past 1050mhz pretty easily, I can go up to 1100mhz with something like 1.1v, don't remember now. Best way to OC is keeping it as cool as possible, Undervolt and HBM memory speeds, then up the power limit. Pushing the GPU clock is almost pointless until you get the other three and then you will find your limited by the cooler. If you cannot maintain the HBM2 speed, meaning keeping those suckers cool, you will be memory limited and additional clocks gives very little to games, just adds heat so to speak. Card is very quiet at stock settings, can be quiet enough at moderate settings giving about +10% performance increase and noisy when really pushed giving about +15% boost. If you water cool it, I suspect you will be able to get 20% boost out of them on a decent card and still be quiet. Then you will hit a power wall (rather quickly I might add), power mods would then be required I would think to drive it past +20%.

like this
Dang, just headed out and won't be back till Sunday and I can get you values for a Vega 64. May have a Vega 56 coming soon too if nobody else is able to grab them for you.

Last edited:
like this
Your Welcome. I have two FE's, both behave almost the same limited by the cooler mostly. Keep the HBM2 cool as in less than 70c and you can OC it past 1050mhz pretty easily, I can go up to 1100mhz with something like 1.1v, don't remember now. Best way to OC is keeping it as cool as possible, Undervolt and HBM memory speeds, then up the power limit. Pushing the GPU clock is almost pointless until you get the other three and then you will find your limited by the cooler. If you cannot maintain the HBM2 speed, meaning keeping those suckers cool, you will be memory limited and additional clocks gives very little to games, just adds heat so to speak. Card is very quiet at stock settings, can be quiet enough at moderate settings giving about +10% performance increase and noisy when really pushed giving about +15% boost. If you water cool it, I suspect you will be able to get 20% boost out of them on a decent card and still be quiet. Then you will hit a power wall (rather quickly I might add), power mods would then be required I would think to drive it past +20%.

I'm trying to find a sweet spot for sustained power/thermal balance while working within the limits of the stock cooler, and am leaving the RAM alone until I'm comfortable with core clock/thermals. I've currently got the core's P4-P7 at 1348/1425/1450/1475MHz at 1035mv/1060mv/1080mv/1100mv, with a more aggressive fan profile. I've previously nudged up the power limit by 20% and noticed somewhat better sustained performance, but the long term goal is to use this for GPU-driven compute more than gaming. It's been an interesting research project so far.

Dang, just headed out and won't be back till Sunday and I can get you values for a Vega 64. May have a Vega 56 coming soon too nobody else is able to grab them for you.
There's no rush. I appreciate it!

Reactions: noko
like this
Ill second what was mentioned, get the voltage/temps down, then start over clocking. This is the same I do with my Fury's as well, normally around -100mV then +50 or +100mhz. I haven't messed with the Vega as it's in my son's PC and I just put it in recently, really need to go through it one of these days and get his 3700x setup too, lol.

Reactions: noko
like this
I'm trying to find a sweet spot for sustained power/thermal balance while working within the limits of the stock cooler, and am leaving the RAM alone until I'm comfortable with core clock/thermals. I've currently got the core's P4-P7 at 1348/1425/1450/1475MHz at 1035mv/1060mv/1080mv/1100mv, with a more aggressive fan profile. I've previously nudged up the power limit by 20% and noticed somewhat better sustained performance, but the long term goal is to use this for GPU-driven compute more than gaming. It's been an interesting research project so far.

There's no rush. I appreciate it!
Best results is to use your usage load for adjusting the OC, HBM2 or GCN may have to do more with latency than bandwidth but probably really depends on what is being done. For games in general their is a definitely a wall if HBM2 is not increase in speed, not sure about compute loads which may also depends on what exactly is being done (as in large data sets etc.). These are great cards, stock to stock they are a little bit faster in gaming over a 1080, can be OC with a significant performance increase. I have a Vega 64 LC as well but it is in the box, I should sell it. The FE's are faster as a note, mainly because the HBM2 on the 64 LC is more limiting.

like this
Be careful, there 2 kinds of HBM on Vega 56 the Hynix can't pass 950-960MHz.

For me GPU P1 state is very interesting because make the games to load faster.
I use this tool to tweak the HBM memory and I recommend it:
AMD-Mem-Tweak-Settings-new.png
Edit:
One more thing, if you use MSI Afterburner, it show combined voltage for GPU and HBM voltage !

Last edited:
like this
Be careful, there 2 kinds of HBM on Vega 56 the Hynix can't pass 950-960MHz.

For me GPU P1 state is very interesting because make the games to load faster.
I use this tool to tweak the HBM memory and I recommend it:
View attachment 270390
Edit:
One more thing, if you use MSI Afterburner, it show combined voltage for GPU and HBM voltage !

I’m running a Vega Frontier edition so that will be Samsung, right? I’ll run GPU-Z to confirm but Vega 64’s all Samsung AFAIK. That fact about Afterburner is... something. And useful to know. Thanks!

Proably yes, but yeah check it.

With the tweaker I have tight HBM timings which lead to more transfer at lower speed/voltage so the fine tuning is always nice. In OCN have a topic with many examples for different kind of memory/cards if you wish to check it.

like this
Back