Where can I find an ATX Power Supply that fit into dual drive bay? Corsair,OCZwakeUp!

It was a pretty small market that needed these. The intended use of these were for people who needed more power than a single power supply could offer at the time. Now they offer like 1500w+ PSU's so having two power supplies makes little sense.

Do you want something like this to use as your only PSU?

It was a pretty small market that needed these. The intended use of these were for people who needed more power than a single power supply could offer at the time. Now they offer like 1500w+ PSU's so having two power supplies makes little sense.

Do you want something like this to use as your only PSU?

No. I don't need a VGA PSU. I just want to place a regular ATX power supply into drive bay area. So...I need the power cable to come out of the other side of the power supply and the power supply to fit into dual drive bay just like the Thermaltake VGA PSU in the link.

Hope its clear now.

I can't seem to be able to find anything online. Why can't some company start selling such power supply? I don't get it:(.
As JohnleMVP pointed out, the market for those were small even when they were relatively widely available. The few VGA PSUs that did exist were of so-so quality at best. Since it's now more cost-effective to buy a larger PSU, the fact that current systems are staying relatively stable when it comes to power use and combined with the limited market, that's the reason why such a PSU doesn't exist anymore. If it did, it more than likely is of low quality or so-so quality at best.

So in other words, expecting Corsair or OCZ to release a PSU that probably only a handful of people will actually buy is a bit over-the-top.
No. I don't need a VGA PSU. I just want to place a regular ATX power supply into drive bay area. So...I need the power cable to come out of the other side of the power supply and the power supply to fit into dual drive bay just like the Thermaltake VGA PSU in the link.

Hope its clear now.
Still not clear: Why do you want to put a PSU into the drive bay area in the first place?

There's a case where you can put the PSU in the front of the case. It's the Azza Genesis 9000.

As JohnleMVP pointed out, the market for those were small even when they were relatively widely available. The few VGA PSUs that did exist were of so-so quality at best. Since it's now more cost-effective to buy a larger PSU, the fact that current systems are staying relatively stable when it comes to power use and combined with the limited market, that's the reason why such a PSU doesn't exist anymore. If it did, it more than likely is of low quality or so-so quality at best.

So in other words, expecting Corsair or OCZ to release a PSU that probably only a handful of people will actually buy is a bit over-the-top.

Still not clear: Why do you want to put a PSU into the drive bay area in the first place?

I need to place the PSU into the drive bay because I would like to have a radiator or a large heat sink in the case. I'm talking about a case that is small such as Micro ATX. A good example is Silverstone SUGO SG01: http://www.xoxide.com/silverstone-sugo-sg01-bw.html

It can also be helpful to people that have their power supply on the top of the case. Like old Lian Li cases etc. Everyone has at least two drive bay empty. Why not place the power supply there? I guess its something new to everyone in the world and the world is not ready for such PSU option;) I'm an Engineer and have lots or cool idea that can make such power supply stand out in the market. If I was working for Corsair or other PSU company.....I would make it happen:)

Last edited:
It won't happen, because a power cable coming out the front of the case would look ugly as hell, and not many people would want it. Not to mention, it makes cable routing more difficult.

It can also be helpful to people that have their power supply on the top of the case. Like old Lian Li cases etc. Everyone has at least two drive bay empty. Why not place the power supply there? I guess its something new to everyone in the world and the world is not ready for such PSU option;)
No, again, those bay PSUs have been around for quite some times. But due to reasons that we have already mentioned, they're now going out of fashion. Think again about that.

I'm an Engineer and have lots or cool idea that can make such power supply stand out in the market. If I was working for Corsair or other PSU company.....I would make it happen:)
Yeah when I hear "cool idea" and "stand out" together in the same sentence in regards to PSUs, I instantly think "This is going to be expensive, not worth it, or both". See Gigabyte's P-Tuner software, Antec's CPX PSU form factor, Corsair's Link software, etc for examples of "cool ideas" for PSUs that have not turned out to be widely successful.

Now with all of that said, have you thought about using a SFX PSU? Their max width is around 4.9" and their max height is around 2.5" inches for most SFX PSUs. That'll easily allow them to fit inside a PSU bay. Though you'll get the same ugly issue that Tsumi mentioned. This particular SFX PSU is of pretty good quality:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=319

Last edited:
No, again, those bay PSUs have been around for quite some times. But due to reasons that we have already mentioned, they're now going out of fashion. Think again about that.

Sorry but I never seen those power supplys being available before. Since you know all about them, please provide me a link to few models so I can go and buy it now. I dont care if its used or new.

Can't wait for your link:)

Yeah when I hear "cool idea" and "stand out" together in the same sentence in regards to PSUs, I instantly think "This is going to be expensive, not worth it, or both". See Gigabyte's P-Tuner software, Antec's CPX PSU form factor, Corsair's Link software, etc for examples of "cool ideas" for PSUs that have not turned out to be widely successful.

Now with all of that said, have you thought about using a SFX PSU? Their max width is around 4.9" and their max height is around 2.5" inches for most SFX PSUs. That'll easily allow them to fit inside a PSU bay. Though you'll get the same ugly issue that Tsumi mentioned. This particular SFX PSU is of pretty good quality:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=319

Again....none of those power supplys meant to fit into dual drive bay. I understand what you saying about them being expansive, or not worth it. I disagree with you! I think about the cost and efficiency too.

All they got to do is make the power fit into dual drive bay and have the power cord on the other side. How is that different in cost?

actually, there are a few SFF PSUs on the market and likely to be more as hardware in general shrinks and folks seek to stuff more performance in smaller cases. I am not aware of any specifically intended for a 5.25 bay

l1Foiqm.jpg

here is one based on a 120mm fan footprint, might go in 2 bays and up to 500W

If you really want to go crazy there are the brick fed options

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1774331

actually, there are a few SFF PSUs on the market and likely to be more as hardware in general shrinks and folks seek to stuff more performance in smaller cases. I am not aware of any specifically intended for a 5.25 bay

here is one based on a 120mm fan footprint, might go in 2 bays and up to 500W

If you really want to go crazy there are the brick fed options

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1774331

Thanks but that's not what I need.

Cooling a power supply in a 5.25 BAY is likely going to be a problem. Putting one in a case airflow space, sucking in external air and exhausting hot.
There was a case from Jacob's parts with a front mounted power supply, poor design. I have a Sentey slim that uses an internal power cord for power supply, not elegant (included power supply is bad, should be replaced,too).
Essentially you looking at low power psu using an external power brick, or a dangerous attempt to mount an SFF power supply without an external case.
If you are talking high performance PC water cooling in a small case, reengineering is necessary.

Again....none of those power supplys meant to fit into dual drive bay. I understand what you saying about them being expansive, or not worth it. I disagree with you! I think about the cost and efficiency too.

All they got to do is make the power fit into dual drive bay and have the power cord on the other side. How is that different in cost?
Because, the smaller you go, the higher the price of the PSU. You can see this with the pricing of the SilverStone ST45SF-G I posted about: It's ~$100 whereas similar ATX PSUs are around $70 to $80. Then you have to reconfigure your manufacturing lines to produce this one style of PSU. That's a further expenditure of costs and time. Now you have to earn a profit off those PSUs. Since there's a rather limited market for such a PSU, not many of these bay PSUs will be built or sold. That further drives up the price.

Not sure what other cool features you were thinking of but as I have clearly shown in my second response in this thread, "cool features" will end up causing the PSU to increase in price. Every "cool feature" has research and development time and costs that needs to be covered with the sale of the PSU with that cool feature.

Back