Where Can I find a plain, cheap, case?

prne10

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I've been a lurker since I joined the forum but now I am ready to get into my first modding project and so I'll need some input.

I want to find the cheapest case available from a good vendor because I am going to do a complete overhaul.

I was planning on adding my own:

Paint Job
Windows
Side decal (the right side that the motherboard lies on)
Fan holes

Depending on how a case is built, I might try to mod the inside to allow for better airflow. For my first project, I am looking to spend under 100 dollars for everything excluding tools.
The theme is going to be Goblins VS. Tinker Gnomes.

Suggestions on where to buy the generic mod ready case would be helpful.

Thanks

for a completely virgin unmodded case your best bet is probably to find someone thats getting rid of an old store bought computer although even those have side panel fans and stuff already done to them sometimes but on the plus side you get the case for free or at least under $20. Or if you get really lucky like I did a couple years ago you can snag an old server case from some store thats upgrading.

If you can't find a case then just go around to your local computer stores and ask them for their cheepest case, most likely they'll have a couple really old cases that are marked down to next to nothing that'll just have a few stock fan guards cut into the side panel.

the problem with the ubercheep cases is that they probably won't have a slide out motherboard tray or other nice features but they allow for more modding to make up for it.

Ah, good suggestion! Although, I might want to make this a hobby and if so, I'll need a steady supply.

Nice!

The chenming looks like it is perfect except for its HUGE size. That is one massive case! The CM case is alright, however, I don't like the vents on the side. I think it would be hard to cut a window (at least the one I had in mind) with that stuff there.

Thanks for the input!

You could snag one of these cases.....it's downright fugly and in dire need of modding :p price is definitely right.

Oh god! That Viper Case IS horrible. I don't even know where I'd start with it. I do like the Ultra Wizard case, however, I am trying to picture what I would do with the front of it.
( I think it looks like crap).

I had a weird idea to try and cut it and make it look like bars of a cell or some type of cave opening since the theme of this mod is going to be goblins vs gnomes.

hmmm...

The wizard case is okay, but for most people the shipping is almost double the cost of the case...

Hmmm that chengming does look great, I am looking for a very large and cheap case. I only wish I didn't have to pay $35 in shipping.

Back