Where can I find 3-4" speaker stands?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I am looking for some short speaker stands to get my M-Audio BX5 monitors slightly higher and can't find any short ones.

I'll post a pic of my setup later as my website is currently down.

lg-34um95.jpg

Last edited:
those may work, but I'd like them taller.
Ideally, I'd like to get the bottom of the speakers level to the bottom of the monitor, which I think will look nicer as well as put the tweeter at ear level.

the issolation pads are a good idea ...I was going to suggest them except they don't usually have the lift the op asked for.. however they can generally be angled to point the speakers up towards you which might help.

I know of these that are quite nice... but also not cheap at $60 for a pair of them... ouch designed for NHT SuperPower speakers but will work with some other speakers...

http://www.nhthifi.com/DeskStand-for-SuperPower?sc=12&category=1215

another good options is DIY certainly...

something like a couple sets of these and a wood plank...of the appropriate size...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30263575/#/60263574

not exactly speakers stands but here is the shelf I made to raise my monitors and speakers off my desk 6' pine board with 6" capita legs.

it's mainly aesthetics since they sound fine how they are, I play games and watch media on this machine.
I did find one pair of 3-4" stands last year but they were almost $400.

My brother suggested grabbing the extra set of 3' stands I have upstairs and just cutting them down. I am just not a carpenter type person so I'd probably screw it up.

the stands are the same as what I have in my room, basically 12" square base, 2 1x3's in a V shape to a 6" square top,
room-2012-2.jpg

Ya, I saw those IsoAcoustic stands as well, I wouldn't mind them but they are just a tad bit pricey.

Buy one of those sound deadening subwoofer foam stands and cut the material to fit the size of the speaker.

Some people use clay bricks if you want that rustic look. Some use 4" by 4" block of wood. Some pay a small fortune for a small stand... take your pick.

Those look too short for the purpose.

The Medium ones would work,
6.1" W x 7.5" D
Can be assembled either short (3") or tall (8")

It's just the cost, $100 is kinda steep for me.

Well, I thought about it. Guitar Center has them in stock, I may break down and get a pair of the IsoAcoustics today,.

Last edited:
One option for you to consider (same line of thought as RogueTrip):
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058Q3H38

The item description there is weird, but if it is the same as when I ordered you get four of the pads for the price and going 2 pads per speaker works great. You can trim the extra length off if you want to make them fit your desk better, I didn't because you never know when you might get something larger.

I use these with my M-Audio 42s (and the crumb bum speakers I used before them too) and they work great. The angling gets them aimed at the "sweet spot" for the desktop user (mine are actually slightly above my head and angled downward, but angling them up should work just fine too). They come with some extra "triangle" wedges to decrease or increase the angle as needed when setting them up.

Added bonus they do work great for isolation, you don't get any reverberation or rattle from the speaker sitting directly on the desktop surface.

EDIT: If you would like I can post a picture of my set up but it will a while before I will be able to do so.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went ahead and bought the Iso Acoustic stands for $100 from Guitar Center.
I watched some vids saying the speakers sound better on them and didn't really believe it, but they actually do sound better and my desk doesn't transmit the vibrations like before.

iso-acoustic-stands.jpg

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought the Iso Acoustic stands for $100 from Guitar Center.
I watched some vids saying the speakers sound better on them and didn't really believe it, but they actually do sound better and my desk doesn't transmit the vibrations like before.

Raising the speaker to ear level reduces early reflections and makes the sound better. Has nothing to do with the fancy platform though.

Raising the speaker to ear level reduces early reflections and makes the sound better. Has nothing to do with the fancy platform though.

the bass is different. the bass was really shaking my desk when the speakers were on it. I even had the little foam things that came with the speaker between the desk and the speaker.

the bass is different. the bass was really shaking my desk when the speakers were on it. I even had the little foam things that came with the speaker between the desk and the speaker.

The speakers seem to have some problem then. Are they very light weight? Poor construction can lead into problems like that.

no, they are pretty solid speakers, about 11lbs each.
my setup is in a cubicle,
cubicle-lg34.jpg

Did you try other stands before these ones to verify the 'improvement' of the bass? Esoteric stands are a load of hogwash.

nope, just put the speakers on the stands and played some music and it sounded different.
I didn't buy these because the reviews said they would sound better, I bought them since I wanted my speakers raised up. the tweeters were too low, which didn't bother me as I don't do any professional work on this machine, and mainly I didn't like the way it looked with the speakers sitting on the desk.
I would have preferred a cheaper solution that looked decent and I didn't have to build.

nope, just put the speakers on the stands and played some music and it sounded different.
I didn't buy these because the reviews said they would sound better, I bought them since I wanted my speakers raised up. the tweeters were too low, which didn't bother me as I don't do any professional work on this machine, and mainly I didn't like the way it looked with the speakers sitting on the desk.
I would have preferred a cheaper solution that looked decent and I didn't have to build.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I need to raise my JBL LSR305's a little bit. I have foam pads but they aren't tall enough. I can't build my own stands (I did look at Lowe's for some cheap shit to use but they didn't have the same brick in store as the in store locator said they had) and I haven't found anything other than those IsoAcoustic stands that aren't insanely expensive. I don't want to spend $100 (I feel like they should be ~$50) but a $100 for a pair isn't gonna kill me. You should experiment with the tilt too.

Back