Where are the inexpensive 27"+ 120hz+ monitors?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I've literally been waiting to upgrade my monitors for... 5ish years. Its actually probably closer to 7 years. The problem? I can't justify spending a shitload of money on three matching monitors. I thought for sure that sub $200 27" 120hz+ monitors would be available by now but, alas, they are not.

I was running two older I-inc 28" monitors until I bought one of the Korean 27" 1440p panels with the hopes of liking it, overclocking to 90hz+, and being happy for a while. Wrong. It wouldn't overclock for shit so I refused to buy anymore of them. Now I have a hodgepodge of monitors until I feel comfortable dropping $700+.

With people going nuts over $600+ "deals" for a single monitor like the Predator... I... just literally can't even.

Why would you expect prices to drop so much? You can't even buy a good quality 24" 120hz display for $200.

Yeah, without getting too in-depth: in modern product design and marketing, anything above "standard" demands a huge premium. 60 Hz is the "standard", so any bump above that has manufacturers go crazy with increased pricing. And that increased pricing is difficult to justify to a board of directors without yet MORE features, like USB passthrough, built in speakers, etc... which increase the price yet more and the cycle continues

Why would you expect prices to drop so much? You can't even buy a good quality 24" 120hz display for $200.

Because it's been YEARS since they were introduced to the market and even longer since you could get sub $200 28" 60hz monitors on sale. I paid just over $200 for my current 28" and $150 for my Korean 27".

Yeah, without getting too in-depth: in modern product design and marketing, anything above "standard" demands a huge premium. 60 Hz is the "standard", so any bump above that has manufacturers go crazy with increased pricing. And that increased pricing is difficult to justify to a board of directors without yet MORE features, like USB passthrough, built in speakers, etc... which increase the price yet more and the cycle continues

This is actually something that had always bothered me. Buy a car... want a sunroof? Sun and sound package, $3k. What if I don't want the ghetto sound system? Same goes for so many other products.

With people going nuts over $600+ "deals" for a single monitor like the Predator... I... just literally can't even.

If you are talking about a monitor like the Acer Predator, please be aware that this monitor includes "G-Sync" which is nVidia's Adaptive Sync solution. It's an additional card built into the monitor that adds about $100-$150 to the cost of the monitor, and modifies the refresh rate of the monitor to match up the refresh rate of the game.

I have it on my current monitor. Turn on G-Sync in the nVidia Control Panel, turn off V-Sync, nice solid gaming!

As far as I see it, as long as there are people arguing that 60hz doesn't make any difference to 30hz, 120hz will never see the light of day in mainstream until it is no longer economical to produce 60hz panels compared to 120hz.

So 120hz will continue to only cater to the section of market that do know and care about high refreshes: gamers.

As far as I see it, as long as there are people arguing that 60hz doesn't make any difference to 30hz, 120hz will never see the light of day in mainstream until it is no longer economical to produce 60hz panels compared to 120hz.

So 120hz will continue to only cater to the section of market that do know and care about high refreshes: gamers.

Many 4K TVs are already 120 Hz panels but at the same time many of them only accept 60 Hz input. Some accept 120 Hz input at 1080p but HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations mean they can't do 4K @ 120 Hz. HDMI 2.1 solves that.

As 4K becomes more common in desktop monitors maybe we will see the same thing where manufacturers just do higher refresh rate supporting panels.

My understanding is that since no TVs except a very minor selection of them even accept a 120hz input suggests to me that the controllers themselves cannot process 120hz input at all (IE it's a 60hz monitor), and the high refresh rates has to do with the interpolation techniques.

So I have actually treated 120hz 1080p TV inputs as exception, not rule. Also, unfortunately, on this side of the pacific the Sony TVs that accept this input does not exist. X830D in US for example is X8300D here, which do not have that input.

Because it's been YEARS since they were introduced to the market and even longer since you could get sub $200 28" 60hz monitors on sale. I paid just over $200 for my current 28" and $150 for my Korean 27".

? Not really. The first 27" 144hz 1440p IPS monitors came out in 2015, and the first good TN 27" 1440p 144hz was the ROG PG278Q, which came out in late 2014. Since that time, demand for those monitors at those prices has been so high that they were very difficult to obtain at their launches, and have still continuously gone out of stock from time to time. Korean monitors were garbage forced way past the ability of their pixels to actually transition fast enough to display the framerates people claimed to get out of them. There's a reason manufacturers didn't make 120hz or even 90hz monitors with those panels, that's because they could not display those refresh rates in the first place.

There's really no reason for prices to fall when demand is high at current prices and yields haven't improved enough that it is even all that easy for manufacturers to supply the existing markets at current prices. $800 is just not very much money to spend on a good quality monitor. You want something that the manufacturers have no economic incentive to provide. People who only spend $200 on monitors likely don't even have the PC hardware to get a good experience out of owning a 1440p screen.

I'm not even talking about 1440p really. I don't care what the panel technology is as long as it's at least 1080p, 120hz, and... affordable!

I prefer higher frame rates over a higher resolution for the most part which is why I game on my 1080p monitor instead of my superior 1440p.

The 27" Predator is $499 at Costco. I just bought one last Wed/Thurs.
Both of the Qnix QX2710 lcds I purchased overclocked to 120hz.

Dell's S2716DG goes on sale for $450 fairly often as well. The problem is you want to have your cake and eat it too.
There's cheaper models with 144hz, but no 1440p. Or there's cheaper models with 1440p & 144hz, but no G-sync.

You want all 3? Pay up.

Now that I think about it, I thought there a few BenQ models that did 1080p @ 144hz, but didn't come with any syncs? No idea if they are still in production though

The 27" Predator is $499 at Costco. I just bought one last Wed/Thurs.
Both of the Qnix QX2710 lcds I purchased overclocked to 120hz.

Dell's S2716DG goes on sale for $450 fairly often as well. The problem is you want to have your cake and eat it too.
There's cheaper models with 144hz, but no 1440p. Or there's cheaper models with 1440p & 144hz, but no G-sync.

You want all 3? Pay up.

Is there a 1440p / 144hz / Non-TN model without gsync?

Is there a 1440p / 144hz / Non-TN model without gsync?
of course, but the one I'd choose isn't released in the USA yet. It is expected to be available in May.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11140/aoc-announces-curved-ag322qcx-and-ag272fcx-144-hz-displays

I'd wait for the AG322QCX, but it's expected to be $650.

The full list of LCD panels is available for searching here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

There is only 1 model I can find which is cheaper than non G-sync models:
PX277, for $389: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB714894154
or this one is to be available soon: http://www.overclock.net/t/1627631/nixeus-edg-27-ips-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor

A roadmap for high-refresh rate LCDs is here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm

I don't think you'll be saving any money by forgoing G-sync. For example, the 2015 Asus with 1440p, IPS and 144hz is the MG279Q, is over $500
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

I'm not even talking about 1440p really. I don't care what the panel technology is as long as it's at least 1080p, 120hz, and... affordable!.

Oh.. well if you don't care about resolution there are products like the BenQ XL2720 which, while it's not the $200 you're looking for, is still quite a lot cheaper than the 27" 1440p models at $371. Might be able to find something down around $330 or even $300 if you look hard enough.

The reason these aren't even cheaper is because, frankly, the market for such large monitors with such low resolution is not there. Most people are used to the pixel density of phones and tablets now, which is really high, and 27" 1080p has noticeable screen door effect to anyone who is used to high dpi, which makes it an unpopular product.

For example, I personally would take a 1080p 24" screen over a 27" screen any day of the week, even if they were the same price I would still pick the smaller screen.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back