Where are the freggin 6800's?

SparkedFire

[H]ard|Gawd
I know reports said there was a big chip shortage but where are the durn cards. This is like a major paper launch! :rolleyes: Any ideas on a release?

not surprisingly, it appears nvidia is pulling what they did with their last major release. Paper launch, followed by an actual launch months later. The R500 might actually be the 6800's competition... :eek:

I work at bby and in stock date on the BFG 6800u is 7-31 if that means anything.

Supposedly IBM is struggling to meet nVidia's supply demands. With 3 cards being based on the nV40 architecture (6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra), it puts a large burden on IBM to produce.

All i know is that they are coming out too long after i already ordered my X800 and from the sounds of all the reviews. Sounds like its going to come a little short in performace as well when it gets here. I guess only time will tell with the cards but I sold my 9800 Pro for a REAL good price, so i cant wait for nvidia to get their "shortage" sorted out while i have a pooter w/o a vid card.

At least paper doesnt need 500Watt to run it :D J/K
But another vote for paper launch legends!

7/31 ?!

That's more than 3 months after they paper launched... Hey, might as well launch the NV50 now eh?

Koz said:
Supposedly IBM is struggling to meet nVidia's supply demands. With 3 cards being based on the nV40 architecture (6800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra), it puts a large burden on IBM to produce.

Didn't nVidia move to or will be moving to a new chipmaking company? I thought I heard that somewhere.

I read that they are having trouble with IBM, not because of yeilds but because IBM is having trouble fitting NV into their schedual to fab enough chips. not that NV could go elsewhere as TSMC and UMC are both booked solid for months IIRC. ATI seems to be having similar problems as evidenced by how few x800pros have shipped and the non-existance of the x800xt

From what I understand , at least with the ATI cards it the shortage of GDDR3 memory. I am in the same boat. I sold my 9800xt while it was still worth something now I must suffer an mx 440 until the x800xt PE appears

Ah yes, it's shortcomings like these that keep nvidia from the forefront. Well that, and the past few chips have been pretty horrible. :D

Back