whens the last time your computer bsod'd that isnt because of user or software error

ryuji

2[H]4U
i have a theory for why i am satisfied with windows-xp nowdays compared to when i had my athlon-xp, no flame war intended, i just want to collect data i dont remember the last time a program crashed or windows bsod'd i originaly thought it was because of service packs, but i just realised i didnt have any of them installed, or patches in the previous windows installation

post your processor and the last time you remember it crashing out of a program for unexplained reasons or bsoding

only windows xp users please to weed out artifacts

I haven't windows crash due to an unknown error for a couple of years now. Every crash I have had I was able to track down, usually to bad programs. But still I can count the blue screens on one hand.

Processors( I switch a lot so here is the list)

P4 3.0ghz
P4 2.4ghz
PM 1.5ghz
Athlon64 3500
AthlonXP Can't remember speed
Via 600mhz Eden

From working on your computers over the years I have found it isn't the processor that has anything to do with crashing, it is the chipset and/or the mobo manufacturer. A good mobo plus properly configured Windows means you'll never crash; AMD or Intel.

I've had problems with Intel chips when I used non-intel chipsets, and ever since I started using nForce chipsets on the AMD side, I have had no problems there either.

Hmm... probably the day that I installed Windows 2000 5 years ago.

I've had my fair share of BSODs since then, but 95% of them have been due to hardware failure, whether from too much overclocking, or something becoming flaky (especially RAM.)

The other 5% have been mostly related to ATI drivers...there was this strange bug on some 9700 cards where if the monitor went into sleep mode, there was nothing you could do to bring it back. But it didn't happen every time and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Setting up Power Options so that the monitor never turned off, and enabling a screensaver fixed it.

Neutraleyes said:
The other 5% have been mostly related to ATI drivers...there was this strange bug on some 9700 cards where if the monitor went into sleep mode, there was nothing you could do to bring it back.

I am still dealing with that problem. My old B&W Mac has a ATI 9700, I can't let it go to sleep because it will kernel panic when it wakes up. Search eBay for ATI 9700s for macs and half of them will have "no sleep issues" or something close to that in the title.

Back