When you get your new iPhone X - Clean Install or Restore from Backup?

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by Ludic, Oct 31, 2017.

How will you setup your new iPhone?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2017.
  1. Clean Install

50.0%
  2. Restore from Backup

50.0%
  1. Ludic

Ludic 2[H]4U

Just curious what the general consensus is on this one. I've been going back and forth on it in my head and I think I'm going with the clean install. But I'm not sure if that's the conditioning Windows and new hardware has had on me. When I went from iPhone 5 to 6+ I restored from backup, and this is my first new iPhone since then.

2. bizzmeister

bizzmeister [H]ard|Gawd

100% will be a clean install for me.

3. ChristianVirtual

ChristianVirtual [H]ard DCOTM Mar 2016,Aug 2017

Normally clean ... but not sure what happen to my watch achievements

4. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

Clean install because my last backup (7+) is over 4 months old. :shame:

5. AltTabbins

AltTabbins I Post [H]ere Way Too Much

Clean install. I'm a little upset that imessage isn't stored in the cloud like Apple said it would be, but thats a pretty minor gripe.

6. Liver

Liver [H]ardness Supreme

Gone are the days of crappy installs. Don’t force your Windows reinstall practices on this.

I will always restore unless I am aware of a major issue. I also back up my device routinely.

7. AltTabbins

I did a fresh install and everything was fine. I decided to give a backup from the day I got the phone and its been more or less the same experience. I really wish they would release the imessage in the cloud thing they announced so I can not worry about losing old imessage conversations when I do a clean install but I guess its not really an issue with restores working so well.

8. zamardii12

zamardii12 [H]ard|Gawd

I have not read one thing to suggest that doing one over the other is beneficial. Why have the convenience of iCloud backups if you're not going to use it? There are way too any things I have synced to not do it. Is there some study I missed that says it's better to just start from scratch with a new iPhone than using an iCloud backup?

9. AltTabbins

Everything transfers over except imessages on a fresh install once you put in your icloud credentials. If you aren't holding on to anything in your texts you aren't missing anything, but for people who have ex girlfriend noodies or something like that nested in their imessages, you cant really do a fresh install and keep them.

10. Sprayingmango

Sprayingmango [H]ard|Gawd

Even doing a "restore" is basically a clean install with iOS and MacOS now. It only transfers personal data like achievements/ messages / email account info / contacts. Otherwise, it is a "clean install" as you say.

11. Mchart

Mchart [H]ard|Gawd

I hope you guys realize that the restore function on iOS is basically a 'new' install anyways. It just moves over the different saved pieces of data from each app, and some generic settings that get moved over. There is a bunch of session unique data that is not moved over in a restore and not stored in iCloud. This would be the reason for restoring a current device if it had problems. The point though here is that starting a 'new' install on iOS is idiotic. You're only generating a ton of work for yourself for no reason.

12. dan1

dan1 [H]Lite

I believe that if you do a secure backup with iTunes then restore to the new phone you get almost everything copied over - imessages, sessions, soft tokens restored, etc.

13. Mchart

Mchart [H]ard|Gawd

Backup with iTunes is no different from iCloud backup now and has been that way for a long time.

The only real difference is that iTunes restore used to copy the app file stored locally back to the phone where as the iCloud restore would transfer the app save data but then re-download the app from the app store. So if you wanted to restore an app removed from the app store you couldn't.

But now that iTunes has removed app support anyways you can't do this anymore as it is.