When you fall down you get back up, but what about when costs $300?

NoGodForMe said:
Do we have to "burn in" this ram or is that only on the high voltage stuff?

I was gonna start at stock and run some tests, then try 10% over, then go for the higher OCs.

Mine is already at the local Fedex ramp, it may be delivered today.

Have not heard anyone having to burn this stuff in. I didnt on mine.

I'm in a similar situation....

but I chose to bite the bullet, get back up, and be safer (ans smarter) next time.

Just learn from your mistakes.

this is one of those situations where an RMA would be exploiting the company... you knew you were doing something that potentially kill the ram. you did it anyway. you, therefore, accepted responsibility. if you tell them what you were doing with it when it died, then go ahead and try the RMA. depending on the company, you might get it... it just wouldn't come back BH-5.

i wouldn't feel right asking for an RMA when i knew i had broken it, but maybe that's just me. it would be different if it had been running at stock (or reasonable) voltages, but... i think this is a time when an RMA wouldn't be a good idea.

good luck with your new ram, though.

rogue_jedi said:
this is one of those situations where an RMA would be exploiting the company... you knew you were doing something that potentially kill the ram. you did it anyway. you, therefore, accepted responsibility. if you tell them what you were doing with it when it died, then go ahead and try the RMA. depending on the company, you might get it... it just wouldn't come back BH-5.

i wouldn't feel right asking for an RMA when i knew i had broken it, but maybe that's just me. it would be different if it had been running at stock (or reasonable) voltages, but... i think this is a time when an RMA wouldn't be a good idea.

Yep, same here...but with a videocard; that's the price we pay (pun intended).

rogue_jedi said:

Indeed, I wont be RMAing this. Its not kingstons fault.

Just to let the other two who ordered the LE know, mine arrived and is working great so far. Still at stock timings to let it settle in. Default timings are 3448, so you can boot with all settings on auto and not worry about crashing from the start. I set mine to 2.5, 3, 3, 7, memtest passed, played some CS:S, and tonight I'll try going 10% over up to 220mz.

Viper87227 said:
Yeah, this ram is the best stuff on earth. See sig, 2.5-4-4-8 290mhz anyone?

Pretty awesome stuff!!!! :D I would agree. I have a Mobo problem at this moment and RMAing it now but was really close to having it @ 300mhz 1:1 @1T @ 2-5-4-4-8 DDR600 holy shit!!!. Think I should be able to hit that pretty easy once I get my new board and get a little time to tweak it. It had a bad IDE channel as weel as the USB's would not function. Been that way since new, Just had to try this set up out before sending the mobo back.

The Cpt.

Did some OCing last night and unfortunately I have the same roadblock with my G.Skill LE as I do with the Corsair.
I'm stuck at 230mz.
I've lowered the multiplier to 11 and raised to FSB to 251mz (2761) and the board runs fine just below 2.8 on the CPU.
It's anytime above 2.8 that I get errors in memtest. That leads me to believe I have an "unlucky" chip and the memory controller on it is causing the problem.

Oh well, I'm not going to swap out my A8V because it's rock solid, I have a lot of stuff installed on it, and don't want to start over from scratch. I'll wait for the FX57.

NoGodForMe said:
Did some OCing last night and unfortunately I have the same roadblock with my G.Skill LE as I do with the Corsair.
I'm stuck at 230mz.
I've lowered the multiplier to 11 and raised to FSB to 251mz (2761) and the board runs fine just below 2.8 on the CPU.
It's anytime above 2.8 that I get errors in memtest. That leads me to believe I have an "unlucky" chip and the memory controller on it is causing the problem.

Oh well, I'm not going to swap out my A8V because it's rock solid, I have a lot of stuff installed on it, and don't want to start over from scratch. I'll wait for the FX57.

Ive done some research on this and Im pretty sure your hang up is the Abit AV8 board. Its a good board I have one and ran it for a while but was never able to get the thing to oc for the life of me.The MSI board came highly recomended to me by several Oc'ers so I switched to the MSI K8N Neo2 and bang!! Oced with no issues. In fact the majority of the people right now that seem to be getting really great overclocks look to be using the MSI board. maybe its the Nvidia chipset or who knows what. ( Besides my FX55 I also have an FX53 that I run @ 2.7 on air cooling.) Could be the Chip but dont limit yourself to that. Your oc will only be as good as the weakest part. just my 2c

As I sit here in the office, back at my parents house sits my Patriot Memory (TCCD on BrainPower PCB) and my OCZ PowerStream...I cannot wait to see what this memory can do :)

The consolation prize to my situation, is that the Corsair memory in both my machines is the same, PC3200XLPro, so guess what I did?
Put the 2 gig in my game machine, and the G.Skill in the Abit.
It looks cool if anything, 4 banks of lights flashing. Running some benchmarks now, and then I'll try D3 on Ultra. I may keep it instead of selling, because then I can play Q4 on Ultra setting when it comes out. Plus my sig will look cool. How many people do you see with (4x512)? He he.
Edit: D3 Ultra 1600x1200 no AA = 70.4

tsuehpsyde said:
As I sit here in the office, back at my parents house sits my Patriot Memory (TCCD on BrainPower PCB) and my OCZ PowerStream...I cannot wait to see what this memory can do :)

Be sure to report back. I want to know if PrainPower + TCCD is all it takes for amazing ram, or if G.Skill did something else uber.

Viper87227 said:
Be sure to report back. I want to know if PrainPower + TCCD is all it takes for amazing ram, or if G.Skill did something else uber.

PDP uses the Brainpower B6U815 PCB, which is slightly different than the Brainpower B6U808 PCBs G.Skill and OCZ modules use. PDP rates their modules at timings of CL 2 2:2:5 at DDR400 and CL3 4:4:8 at DDR533. Gskill rates theirs @ 2-2-2-5 @DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-7 @ DDR550. have seen (and just about to have my Gskill) running @ 2.5-4-4-8 @ DDR 600+ ( have seen DDR620) The PDP looks like it should perform but not sure if it can match the Gskill. The Gskill seems to be the new "BH-5" of the TCCD world except it doesnt need high voltages. I think that their performance is about impossible to beat at this moment. As far as TCCD chips go.Gskill is also coming out with some new speeds its called PC4800 and @ speeds excess of DDR630 have been seen so far with timmings being fairly low still. Who needs DDR 2 !!! :p

EDIT: Here is a link to one of the Guys thats on the Gskill forum and look what he is hitting right now with his Gskill. Thats right DDR 691. Holy Shit!!! FSB of 345.9 and at lower timmings like 2.5-4-4-8 and 2.5-3-3-7. Almost 9.5Gb of bandwith in sandra

http://www.gskill.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=221

Meh, I was working towards getting my CPU to reach it's peak (got 2.45GHz @ 1.7v true volts...damn board starts to droop after 1.65v) and now it's really damn late :p I've decided to go with the school of thought "Only run overclocks for benching." because I can't really afford to break anything at the moment, and quite frankly am tired of working on this thing :) It's really fast as it is anyway, I don't have to wait for anything to load on stock settings, so why mess with it? I may run 2.4GHz @ 1.6v because I seriously doubt that'll cause any problems unless I want to run my computer for the next 10 years.

I thought about the G-Skill, but honestly, the difference between the PDP and the G-Skill, to me, wasn't worth the $55 difference in price. Hell, I ran the memory @ 223MHz 2-3-3-6 1T to get my 2.45GHz earlier and that's most definately not topping out the memory (rated for DDR466 @ those timings with a little voltage if I'm not mistaken) so I definately have the headroom, which is all i really want...some good solid memory to replace the dumpers I had before ;) And the CPU might still have some room, but I'm a bit tired of messing with it tonight. But, I'll check out where they top out tomorrow and hope it's something decent.

yeah, after some messing around, I got my Gksill to 310mhz 2.5-4-4-8. I think I am in love :eek:

tsuehpsyde said:
Meh, I was working towards getting my CPU to reach it's peak (got 2.45GHz @ 1.7v true volts...damn board starts to droop after 1.65v) and now it's really damn late :p I've decided to go with the school of thought "Only run overclocks for benching." because I can't really afford to break anything at the moment, and quite frankly am tired of working on this thing :) It's really fast as it is anyway, I don't have to wait for anything to load on stock settings, so why mess with it? I may run 2.4GHz @ 1.6v because I seriously doubt that'll cause any problems unless I want to run my computer for the next 10 years.

I thought about the G-Skill, but honestly, the difference between the PDP and the G-Skill, to me, wasn't worth the $55 difference in price. Hell, I ran the memory @ 223MHz 2-3-3-6 1T to get my 2.45GHz earlier and that's most definately not topping out the memory (rated for DDR466 @ those timings with a little voltage if I'm not mistaken) so I definately have the headroom, which is all i really want...some good solid memory to replace the dumpers I had before ;) And the CPU might still have some room, but I'm a bit tired of messing with it tonight. But, I'll check out where they top out tomorrow and hope it's something decent.

To get more out of the board and also to get more out of TCCD chips I would run the V1.41MOD bios. or even one of the beta performence bios if you want. But you may not wanna beings that it sounds like your happy where your at. Just a suggestion.

A. What is added/fixed in the 1.41MOD BIOS?
B. Where do I go looking for it?

*remember, this the Neo, not the Neo2*

Okay, this memory is.....tempermental? Yeah, I think that's the word ;) Let me first say I'm running Prime95 Blend test in the backround to watch for errors, and using CoreCenter to bump the HTT up (up to 250MHz, after that it doesn't go any higher, then it's ClockGen time) and adjust voltages as neccessary. Running 3-4-4-8 1T, just to be as loose as a goose, and see how high it would go, wouldn't go like psat somewhere in the ~240MHz range...Probably 243 or 244. And the more voltage I gave the memory, the CRANKIER it got? So much for 2.85v-2.95v (most I can give it is 2.85v and it ran BETTER at 2.6v). So, I decide to drop the timings down to 2.5-3-3-7 1T (2.6v), and right now Blend is running on 245MHz for about 5 minutes no errors so I'm gonna see what the hell is going on here lol. Either I have something misconfigured, or I need more voltage @ the looser timings, which makes NO sense. Ahhh, overclocking wouldn't be fun if you diddn't have to work at it ;)

Captin Insano said:
To get more out of the board and also to get more out of TCCD chips I would run the V1.41MOD bios. or even one of the beta performence bios if you want. But you may not wanna beings that it sounds like your happy where your at. Just a suggestion.

I am always up to more performance....what are the benifits?

I'm hitting the same wall....and adding voltage doesn't help, just makes it less stable. I have to get my hairs cut, but I'll try dropping the HTT Multiplier to 3x and try again becaues that's the only thing I can think of causing problems (and I'm not up to 250MHz yet tho, so idunno)

Viper87227 said:
I am always up to more performance....what are the benifits?

Sorry guys its only for the K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Viper it looks like you could use it. Here is a link with some of the various Stock/Mod/beta-performance Bios. According to several each bios give you something different. The Mod bios is supposed to give more voltage options with % increase as well as other functionality and contol as well as enhanced perfromance for TCCD chips. They have descriptions of what they do. There are alot of hidden functios that are also opened up with some of them as well. These bios'es have all helped release some of the highest clcoks seen as well as some of the best enhancements. The one I recomend to start with is the 7025V1.41mod bios. and then go from there.

The Cpt

http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html

Captin Insano said:
Sorry guys its only for the K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Viper it looks like you could use it. Here is a link with some of the various Stock/Mod/beta-performance Bios. According to several each bios give you something different. The Mod bios is supposed to give more voltage options with % increase as well as other functionality and contol as well as enhanced perfromance for TCCD chips. They have descriptions of what they do. There are alot of hidden functios that are also opened up with some of them as well. These bios'es have all helped release some of the highest clcoks seen as well as some of the best enhancements. The one I recomend to start with is the 7025V1.41mod bios. and then go from there.

The Cpt

http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html

Found that earlier today. Using the 1.36mod bios right now, I like the option for 13% and higher vmod. When I get my water going, that will come in handy.

I think some of us in this thread are just frustrated we hit a road block and can't figure out why. It becomes a hobby to tweak the machines to the max, even though the games play at 100 fps full detail. It's kinda like people who work on cars. The people in this thread are true pros, great job everyone, the journey is the reward.

Back