When working on a computer, do you sit or stand?

Peat Moss

Gawd
I'm looking for a desk / workbench I can use to work on my computer (build, repair, clean, and other non-computer related handyman stuff, etc). I am trying to decide between a workbench with a built in cabinet underneath (so no leg room for sitting) and one with 4 open legs and space for sitting.

I like having the option for both. When I work on PC/server build and repair at the office we have an adjustable work bench. For my home use I have a jarvis electric stand with a custom top. It's nice to take a stretch and be able to change position when you're doing long project. If you need the extra storage you could also get an adjustable height workbench and get some cabinets on wheels to slide under the workbench. But really it'll be up to your preference.

Office
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Home
https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/desk-frames/jarvis-frame-only.html

It's nice to be able to do both. For quick jobs I stand. For a large build or a series of builds I alternate between. Sometimes it's nice to get a different angle \ perspective or just give your back a break after standing \ hunching over for hours.

If space is a premium the cabinets will probably be fine. You can always pull up a chair or stool and just sit without your legs under the desk. Probably not as ergonomic but far from impossible.

I do both but I am usually standing as my main work area is at standing height.

IMG_3490.JPG

Can someone explain to me what it is about anime Japanese chicks that everyone likes?

Every time there are threads here showing desktops, PC setups, whatever, there is an overwhelming display of.... this.
I have a thing for Asian chicks, especially Asian cosplayers.

I think the only time I stand is when removing motherboard from the case.

Oh, I misread the first post and thought it was asking if people stand or sit when using their computer for working, not working on it as in building it/upgrading it etc. Everything makes much more sense now....

Yeah I basically just set my PC on the floor and then kneel. I have used a table and sat at a chair before but it seems like on the floor is better. No need to worry about scratching the table or knocking things off the table, or having to lean way over etc. On the floor you can just move to the other side easily without having to move the entire case. If you knock something over it's already on the floor so it isn't going to fall off anything.

But how often do you really work on your PC? For working on a PC I probably average less than an hour a year working on it and it totally would not be worth buying a desk for. I upgrade a graphics card every couple years which takes less than an hour, an then building a completely new one every 5 or so years which takes only a couple hours to put together. I don't put it on a desk when I clean it, I take it outside so the dust doesn't get spread in my house.

I guess for doing other stuff a desk might be nice if you do it a lot. Standing is probably better unless it's something you need to spend hours at a time on.

I personally stand when im installing the hardware. Then I sit when I do the more time consuming stuff like wire management.

I took the seat off my office chair and I shove the hydraulic pipe up my ass. It's a good middle-ground between sitting and standing.

In my infinite wisdom, I got an 8' workbench to use as my desk. In hindsight, while I love the look of it and the desk space, I would've gotten a desk that can raise and lower. I can set the workbench's height, but it's a manual pain in the tail to do and this thing's heave af.

Nowadays, I work under my desk quietly weeping due to 1) selling my bcoins in 2016 and 2) ironically, the current cost of hardware due to bcoins.

Nowadays, I work under my desk quietly weeping due to 1) selling my bcoins in 2016 and 2) ironically, the current cost of hardware due to bcoins.

I feel your pain bud.

But I'm trying to get a standing desk for my back health.

I remember seeing a video on this years ago. What they found was that a slopped back rest that was used while standing was the ideal. So think of a slopped wall you lean back on with angled foot rests to match the angle. Apparently it is quite comfortable and offers fatigue relief while the alertness benefits of standing are maintained. Seemed to fit the topic so I thought I would throw that out there.

Always stand, unless I'm working on a laptop or repairing a component, then I might sit down so I can more comfortably get a closer view of what I'm dealing with.

I sit. I should be standing, just haven't bothered to spend the time and money to get a proper standing setup.

Also, what the hell is going on in this thread in some of these posts.

I sit. I should be standing, just haven't bothered to spend the time and money to get a proper standing setup.

Also, what the hell is going on in this thread in some of these posts.

People are confusing this thread with a sit/stand desk setup for using a pc to do work.

OP is talking about a hardware work bench. Like you build your pc on it, replace the GPU, etc.

Back