When will X-series motherboards be available for Intel i9900 and i9700

x509

2[H]4U
Right now I'm using an aging ASUS P9X79 motherboard in my rig. I'm looking to upgrade and I want the new motherboard to support quad-channel memory access as well as 64 GB (or more) max memory.

So my question is: When does chipset support become available? I'm aware that AMD has been playing games (no pun!) with its chipset naming.

x509

H, B and Z series only for the 9900K/9700K, which is considered mainstream.

X series motherboards are only available for the HEDT segment/Currently Skylake X chips

If you want quad channel or lots of PCIE lanes, you step up to HEDT.

Intel HEDT is always delayed by about half a generation though compared to the mainstream line.

The current HEDT Generation is on the same exact uArch as the desktop generation. On HEDT you have X299 and Skylake, on desktop you have Z390 and... Skylake. The only difference is cache, cores and clocks.

Though I would say AMD's HEDT (X399) is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Take any one of AMD's products, and the dollar-equivalent on Intel's side will be a large margin weaker.

H, B and Z series only for the 9900K/9700K, which is considered mainstream.

X series motherboards are only available for the HEDT segment/Currently Skylake X chips

If you want quad channel or lots of PCIE lanes, you step up to HEDT.

Intel HEDT is always delayed by about half a generation though compared to the mainstream line.
Thanks. Is that about six months?

Thanks. Is that about six months?

Here's where KazeoHin's post comes in.

Technically, Coffee Lake is Skylake in terms of architecture. It used to be that HEDT launched midway or nearing the end of the mainstream CPU's life cycle.

In this case, Intel HEDT got updated too, recently...

The current HEDT Generation is on the same exact uArch as the desktop generation. On HEDT you have X299 and Skylake, on desktop you have Z390 and... Skylake. The only difference is cache, cores and clocks.

Though I would say AMD's HEDT (X399) is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Take any one of AMD's products, and the dollar-equivalent on Intel's side will be a large margin weaker.
So I'm a bit confused here, even though I am hardly a hardware noob.

Thanks for the explanations. Looking at AnantTech's table, I'm going to get the i7 7800-X or the 9800-X if Santa thinks I've been really nice all year. ;)

So am I understanding KazeoHin's post to mean that ASUS motherboards with socket 2066 and X-299 chipset will support these processors? (Time to start writing that letter to Santa. :woot: )

The 7800X is gimped with only 28 PCIE lanes. Not sure if you need this since you're more after the quad channel, but a 2700X will outperform the 7800X and the total platform cost will be a lot cheaper.

My question - why'd you need the quad channel in the first place? Not sure of many mainstream applications that would benefit from quad channel over dual channel nowadays, and most Z390 boards support 64GB RAM.

To answer your question, too. X299 will support the new 9xxx 2066 CPUs, probably with a BIOS update, so no/very few new boards.

Also, considering AMD's HEDT? The 2950 and the 2920 is a lot of value for the money.

Yeah, for less price you could get the 2950x and get MUCH better performance, more PCI-E lanes and native NVM-Express RAID.

So I took a a look at AMD's Threadripper CPUs and I started to read, and I read and read and read. So now I'm convinced of what you said. The difference in price between AMD and Intel for a given level of performance can pay for a lot of extra RAM.

Last time I used an AMD CPU was, I hate to say, when someone gave me about eight sample Athlon 2000s. It was easy using a "pencil trick" to convert them into MP units, and I got two ASUS dual-CPU boards. Those systems ran fine for years.

x509

You'll probably be very happy moving to any of the 2nd generation Threadripper CPUs. Lots of memory slots, 128GB max, quad channel, lots of PCIE lanes, and many cores for the money.

Since you're probably out of the loop on this, just make sure to get RAM that you know the motherboard plays well with (look into their QVL lists). Early 1st Gen AMD Ryzens were very picky with RAM, not so much now with many motherboard BIOS patches, but still something to look out for.

I assume you want a) a bad-ass box for other stuff and b) a bad-ass box for gaming. Clock for clock Intel still beats AMD. AMD is definitely the value winner and definitely the winner when you go into more of category a) (meaning not as important for gaming - Threadripper is not going to compete gaming-wise but will kick ass for any big CPU tasks you need like video encoding, etc.).

For me, a) + b) is still Intel's next X-series (will wait on reviews) - if not, AMD will be there waiting for you.

Actually I am not a gamer. (Solitaire doesn't count. :ROFLMAO:) But I do a lot with Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, both of which benefit from multiple cores and lots of RAM, so I want a bad-ass box for reason (a).

Thanks for validating my recent "conversion" to AMD Threadripper.

x509

Actually I am not a gamer. (Solitaire doesn't count. :ROFLMAO:) But I do a lot with Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, both of which benefit from multiple cores and lots of RAM, so I want a bad-ass box for reason (a).

Thanks for validating my recent "conversion" to AMD Threadripper.

x509

Grab yourself a 2920X or 2950x and trust me, there will be no application you won't be able to destroy.

So I took a a look at AMD's Threadripper CPUs and I started to read, and I read and read and read. So now I'm convinced of what you said. The difference in price between AMD and Intel for a given level of performance can pay for a lot of extra RAM.

Last time I used an AMD CPU was, I hate to say, when someone gave me about eight sample Athlon 2000s. It was easy using a "pencil trick" to convert them into MP units, and I got two ASUS dual-CPU boards. Those systems ran fine for years.

x509

Last time I built an expensive rig (5960x) I basically looked around and copied the most common, no issues, rig.

I have this itch to build a thread ripper 2 rig I will not be scratching, unforunately. Looks like it’d be fun.

Back