When will we see OLED ultra wide monitors?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Just curious when do you think the technology will be affordable when we'll see ultra widescreen gaming monitors using OLED technology?

I mean in that popular 34" size with 3440 X 1440 res.

I know Samsung had some crazy 49-in ridiculously huge OLED monitor that thing had to cost a million bucks and it's just freaking gigantic. I'm talking your everyday 34" gaming monitor, like the Acer Predator series, will they release an OLED panel?

Twenty years.

It took ten years for 16:9 LCD monitors to become affordable CRT replacements, and then it took another ten years after that before people started to care about ultra-wide (to make more than a handful of different models).

We haven't even seen our first widely-available desktop OLED monitor yet. (dell canceled theirs).

Luckily the LG 48CX is starting the momentum toward more mainstream gaming monitor sizes and pricing...it's going to be 10 more yearrs before you can buy $300 16:9 OLED monitors form 5 different makers...and another ten before we get a wide selection of ultra-wide.

Last edited:
Basically, as long as manufacturers can still sell OLEDs at a premium, they will still be 'Premium'.

The market for an Ultrawide monitor is small
The market for people who can afford an OLED PC monitor is small

The market for people willing to spend $5000 on an ultrawide OLED monitor is probably not even four digits.

Average selling price for a gaming monitor (worldwide) is ~$340. So average panel costs are probably less than 1/2 that. Even LCD ultrawidescreens are typically more expensive, probably ASP of ~$800, so KazeoHin's point is quite valid, the market for ultrawide OLEDs would be very small until they can be made as cheaply as commodity LCDs.

Probably never. The thing about OLEDs I read it cost just as much to produce the CX48 as It does the CX65. There is too little profit for LG to bother making. It is the same as making a 32". Then when you throw in UW you have to do a complete retooling and/or manufacturing process for UW. Panel tech would probably move on to something better by the time they can make cheap OLEDs.

Probably never. The thing about OLEDs I read it cost just as much to produce the CX48 as It does the CX65. There is too little profit for LG to bother making. It is the same as making a 32". Then when you throw in UW you have to do a complete retooling and/or manufacturing process for UW. Panel tech would probably move on to something better by the time they can make cheap OLEDs.
Its not quite the same cost, but a 48" OLED has the exact same number of actual diodes as the larger sizes because each one is a pixel. They could make 24" 1080p oled panels quite cheaply though because they'd just be binned 48" panels. If you had a 48" panel with some dead OLEDs in one quarter you could cut it into quarters, sell the three working ones and scrap the defective one. You can't bin a 48" 4K OLED from a larger 4K panel though because if you cut some of it away you'd have less than 4K pixels.

This is also why you see such lower prices in phone OLEDs. There are a huge variety of quality, brightness, and resolutions available so binning is possible, which drastically increases yield.

I really wish instead of the 48CX, that LG made a 34" or 36" 16:9 4K OLED monitor panel. I'd snap that up in a heartbeat. A 48" screen is simply just too large for a desktop PC monitor. To me at least, the sweet spot is anywhere between 32" and 36" for a larger all purpose PC display (gaming and productivity). I also really dislike the squat vertical resolutions (1080/1200/1440/1600) that most ultrawides sport ... They are just too damn short when not gaming! Gotta have that 2160 minimum vertical resolution goodness for productivity!

I really wish instead of the 48CX, that LG made a 34" or 36" 16:9 4K OLED monitor panel. I'd snap that up in a heartbeat. A 48" screen is simply just too large for a desktop PC monitor. To me at least, the sweet spot is anywhere between 32" and 36" for a larger all purpose PC display (gaming and productivity). I also really dislike the squat vertical resolutions (1080/1200/1440/1600) that most ultrawides sport ... They are just too damn short when not gaming! Gotta have that 2160 minimum vertical resolution goodness for productivity!

Agreed but I use a 43" and love it.

You can always run a CX 48 in ultrawide and get say a roughly 43" 3840x1600 display.

But the reality is that OLEDs are not made in smaller sizes and are unlikely to become available in the next few years. So you pick whatever works best for you and compromise.

I think the competing tech of micro-LED will likely be what monitors transition towards. Albeit super expensive, for likely a few years.

You can always run a CX 48 in ultrawide and get say a roughly 43" 3840x1600 display.

But the reality is that OLEDs are not made in smaller sizes and are unlikely to become available in the next few years. So you pick whatever works best for you and compromise.
Yup, and that’s my whole point. Not interested in compromises here. LG should make a couple of smaller panels... they would make a killing in gaming monitors by creating a series of 27” and 34” OLED 4k panels with full bore gaming specs driven by OLED tech and offering 1 ms refresh / 360Hz. I‘m really surprised that they haven’t gone after that market, as it is ripe for the picking.

It exists right now. Buy a CX 48, run it at 3840x1440, profit

For a desktop monitor, the screen is simply too damn big - doesn't work for productivity. Doubling as a TV and just for gaming use, sure, fantastic. But sitting at a desk with your eyes 24" to 28" from the screen, a 48" display is simply sub-optimal for general PC use... you end up having to pan/tilt your head around all the time.

For a desktop monitor, the screen is simply too damn big - doesn't work for productivity. Doubling as a TV and just for gaming use, sure, fantastic. But sitting at a desk with your eyes 24" to 28" from the screen, a 48" display is simply sub-optimal for general PC use... you end up having to pan/tilt your head around all the time.

You gotta use your brain a little. Wall mount it, move your desk back a foot. Problem solved

I'd like to see a system where you run a custom resolution like that, on a motorized stand that slowly (like clock slow) moves up and down and the picture moves up and down on the panel, keeping the image in the same physical space, but spreading the usage over the whole OLED panel for better wear.

You gotta use your brain a little. Wall mount it, move your desk back a foot. Problem solved
Nope, the problem here is that you are not considering ergonomics / human factors and common sense as to furniture placement. Yes, you can solve the problem by pushing your desk a couple feet off the wall and then mounting a display to that wall. But that kinda defeats the whole purpose of using a desk. And if you are married, your wife isn't going to be all that keen on the idea of your "island" desk. If you have a desk, want it against a wall and want to sit roughly ~2 to 2.5 feet from a 4K panel, a 48" display simply is sub-optimal. That's why I stated that a 34" to 36" 4K OLED panel would really be ideal... and I'm surprised that OLED manufacturers haven't latched onto this yet. 48" / 55" / 77" OLED are simply GREAT for movies and well as console/PC gaming from the couch, but not so much for regular desktop productivity use... especially for such tasks as coding.

If you have a desk, want it against a wall and want to sit roughly ~2 to 2.5 feet from a 4K panel, a 48" display simply is sub-optimal.

Those are a bunch of self-imposed restrictions. A lot of people are willing to tweak their video game setup to make a larger monitor work, especially when this monitor blows all the others out of the water by a mile.

And keep in mind, if you're using it letterboxed as a 3840x1440 display, you can probably have your desk a lot closer than the people that use it as a 16:9 monitor.

Those are a bunch of self-imposed restrictions. A lot of people are willing to tweak their video game setup to make a larger monitor work, especially when this monitor blows all the others out of the water by a mile.

And keep in mind, if you're using it letterboxed as a 3840x1440 display, you can probably have your desk a lot closer than the people that use it as a 16:9 monitor.
Maybe self imposed, but others like me are space constrained. In a small apartment, I can’t afford to just keep a useless 1 foot gap between the desk and wall. I’d rather get a monitor that caters to my needs instead of catering to the size of a TV. But that’s just me... many others have the space and aesthetic tolerance.

Those are a bunch of self-imposed restrictions.
Well, the majority of folks out there use a desk for a PC and actually do have room constraints.
A lot of people are willing to tweak their video game setup to make a larger monitor work
If all you do with a PC is game, then sure. But I also do other things, and I bet many others here also use a PC for things other than gaming.
, especially when this monitor blows all the others out of the water by a mile.
Oh, you are attempting to mislead and derail the argument here. I was never against OLED displays. I actually own a LG 55" OLED display - it's fantastic. I'm all for OLED displays, but want them to come out in 27" and 34" size form factors. All we currently have is 48" OLED options or larger.

I don't want to use a 48" display letterboxed. As I've said before, 1440 vertical resolution blows for non-gaming tasks. I want to use a 36" OLED native 4K panel display. Look, you don't have to agree and you can want whatever you want, but I personally think that a 36" 4K, OLED panel would sell like hotcakes @ $899 to most PC enthuiasts out there with the coin to spare that want the ideal gaming/productivity monitor.

I don't want to use a 48" display letterboxed. As I've said before, 1440 vertical resolution blows for non-gaming tasks. I want to use a 36" OLED native 4K panel display. Look, you don't have to agree and you can want whatever you want, but I personally think that a 36" 4K, OLED panel would sell like hotcakes @ $899 to most PC enthuiasts out there with the coin to spare that want the ideal gaming/productivity monitor.
Of course it would sell, but LG is already pushing out as many OLED's as they can. The question is, would Ultrawide X-treme gaming monitors by ASUS X-treme Gamerz Republic actually sell enough at a high enough price to be worth LG diverting some of their motherglass away from TV's?

I doubt it

Maybe self imposed, but others like me are space constrained. In a small apartment, I can’t afford to just keep a useless 1 foot gap between the desk and wall. I’d rather get a monitor that caters to my needs instead of catering to the size of a TV. But that’s just me... many others have the space and aesthetic tolerance.

Stick your PC in that 1 foot space. There, now I just opened up some room somehwere else in your apartment

Last edited:
Of course it would sell, but LG is already pushing out as many OLED's as they can. The question is, would Ultrawide X-treme gaming monitors by ASUS X-treme Gamerz Republic actually sell enough at a high enough price to be worth LG diverting some of their motherglass away from TV's?

I doubt it

Stick your PC in that 1 foot space. There, now I just opened up some room somehwere else in your apartment

Oh, I don't want wide. I want full 4K 16:9 36" OLED. I have a pretty nice Anthrocart full sized, custom workstation desk. But it is a corner desk - i.e. designed to ideally fit in a corner. Your solution won't work for me. Plenty of room for a 36" OLED panel though... :D

Oh, I don't want wide. I want full 4K 16:9 36" OLED. I have a pretty nice Anthrocart full sized, custom workstation desk. But it is a corner desk - i.e. designed to ideally fit in a corner. Your solution won't work for me. Plenty of room for a 36" OLED panel though... :D

So that leaves two options: sell corner desk and get a standard desk, or wait 3-4 years for LG to have enough factories with enough spare capacity to produce smaller monitors.

So that leaves two options: sell corner desk and get a standard desk, or wait 3-4 years for LG to have enough factories with enough spare capacity to produce smaller monitors.
You forgot the 3rd option. Just keep truckin with my existing 4K 32" IPS 16:9 panel and corner desk as is and wait for LG or someone else to eventually start making OLED or Micro-LED gaming/PC monitors in a form factor that isn't just limited to large screen TVs.

As far as I know they're in the process of building another factory or two. So that might open up the possibility in the medium-near future. But right now, it doesn't make economic sense given the margins and demand on the TV's

I'm all for OLED displays, but want them to come out in 27" and 34" size form factors. All we currently have is 48" OLED options or larger.
Likewise. I'm hoping for more 4K displays in the 36-40" range for productivity (i.e. programming). 8K would be even better - sharper text.

I've used the 4K 40" Philips BDM4065UC now for more than 5½ years both at home and work. My home BDM4065UC is starting to show signs of LEDs burning out (the top row of LEDs flickers occasionally) and if it dies out faster than COVID-19, I'll bring my work BDM4065UC from office to home, which should last me over 2021. So within the next 1-2 years I'll need a new display.

40" is near the upper limits of what is comfortable on the desktop, but 32" on the other hand seems too small. For programming, more surface area better than high DPI. One of my colleagues used a 43" 4K display and he too said it was about the maximum comfortable. A year ago I bought LG C9 65" and tried it on my desktop for a couple of days, before getting a TV stand and separating my living room and work-at-home desk - 65" is definitely too big on the desktop. 👇😂

room evolution 2019-2020.jpg

Likewise. I'm hoping for more 4K displays in the 36-40" range for productivity (i.e. programming). 8K would be even better - sharper text.

I've used the 4K 40" Philips BDM4065UC now for more than 5½ years both at home and work. My home BDM4065UC is starting to show signs of LEDs burning out (the top row of LEDs flickers occasionally) and if it dies out faster than COVID-19, I'll bring my work BDM4065UC from office to home, which should last me over 2021. So within the next 1-2 years I'll need a new display.

40" is near the upper limits of what is comfortable on the desktop, but 32" on the other hand seems too small. For programming, more surface area better than high DPI. One of my colleagues used a 43" 4K display and he too said it was about the maximum comfortable. A year ago I bought LG C9 65" and tried it on my desktop for a couple of days, before getting a TV stand and separating my living room and work-at-home desk - 65" is definitely too big on the desktop. 👇😂

View attachment 294698

Pic #2 - LOL! :D

I could probably stretch it out to a max of 40" as well, but agree that for a desktop, the 36"-40" panel range is probably optimal as to hitting a larger "sweet" spot. While 8K would be nice, especialy for text like you say, it will be awhile before costs come down... and we'd need at least another gen or two of GPU architecture advancement before 8K gaming is really a thing. (The RTX 3090 just manages to eek out ~30FPS @ 8k in most games when the eye candy is dialed up - definitely not optimal.) I wonder how well the new AMD 6900XT would fare at 8K. Anyway, I'd be really happy with a 36" 4K OLED panel for desktop gaming/productivity.

I think the 36-40” 8K dream will be a long ways away. We need 36-40” monitors to even debut (I consider the 40” size dead since no new 40” have released in the last 3 years). We also need a proper 8K monitor that works with 1 cable (i.e. with DSC) and is less than $5K MSRP. Then the two come together to make their 36-40” 8K baby. I would like to see it sooner rather than later, but I won’t hold my breath.

I think the 36-40” 8K dream will be a long ways away. We need 36-40” monitors to even debut (I consider the 40” size dead since no new 40” have released in the last 3 years). We also need a proper 8K monitor that works with 1 cable (i.e. with DSC) and is less than $5K MSRP. Then the two come together to make their 36-40” 8K baby. I would like to see it sooner rather than later, but I won’t hold my breath.
Yup, 8K desktop monitors will be a while still. I don't doubt we'll get there, but most likely it'll be at least another couple of years before they become a common "enthusiast" option... It's surprising to me though that nothing like a 36" 4K OLED or MicroLED desktop monitor has surfaced yet, even if just as a company prototype/showcase item. Maybe next year.

If my math is right, from the same gen 8.5 motherglass that LG cuts their 77" panels, instead using the leftover for cutting two 48" panels they could cut five 35" panels with better efficiency... 🤔 If they would use the whole motherglass for cutting smaller panels, the could produce fifteen 35" panels with 92% efficiency or twelve 37.6" panels with 85% efficiency. 37.6" would be sweet. 😍

Last edited:
If my math is right, from the same gen 8.5 motherglass that LG cuts their 77" panels, instead using the leftover for cutting two 48" panels they could cut five 35" panels with better efficiency... 🤔 If they would use the whole motherglass for cutting smaller panels, the could produce fifteen 35" panels with 92% efficiency or twelve 37.6" panels with 85% efficiency. 37.6" would be sweet. 😍

Yes you are right. For OLEDs though, I don't know if LG has the tech to make WOLED subpixels that small (35" is almost half the area) while keeping brightness and longevity. But maybe you should reach out to them and recommend it ;)

Back