When will there be a midrange Nvidia G80 or ATI GPU?

JumpingJackson

Weaksauce
I build computers for all my buddies and my friend who currently has a A64 3700+ , 7600GT, 1GB of ram wants to upgrade when he gets his tax return. He is looking to spend about $800-900 USD. Obviously going to get a Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, but as far as a video card I dont know what to get. I was thinking telling him to keep his current video card for the meantime, then upgrade when a midrange G80 class or similar ATI when they come available to get the most bang for his buck.($200-$300 price range). or just upgrade him to something like a 7950GT or a ATI X1950XT ??

What do you guys think

JumpingJackson said:
I was thinking telling him to keep his current video card for the meantime, then upgrade when a midrange G80 class or similar ATI when they come available to get the most bang for his buck.($200-$300 price range).

I think that sounds like pretty good advice, but that's just my opinion. I'm going to hang on to my piece of shit card (not saying a 7600GT is a piece of shit) for a couple of months and see what happens.

However, I do think the $200-$300 range is a little low. I'm thinking more along the lines of $350-$500.

JumpingJackson said:
I build computers for all my buddies and my friend who currently has a A64 3700+ , 7600GT, 1GB of ram wants to upgrade when he gets his tax return. He is looking to spend about $800-900 USD. Obviously going to get a Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, but as far as a video card I dont know what to get. I was thinking telling him to keep his current video card for the meantime, then upgrade when a midrange G80 class or similar ATI when they come available to get the most bang for his buck.($200-$300 price range). or just upgrade him to something like a 7950GT or a ATI X1950XT ??

What do you guys think

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36590

looks like they be out after march.

digital_exhaust said:
Um, I personally put exactly zero faith in the linked source:rolleyes:....
Of course, I'm a pessimist.

Nah, nobody puts faith in theINQ. It's kinda like a huge blog space where people speculate, usually with little basis.

I'd say G84/G86 around Feb. or March.

digital_exhaust said:
Um, I personally put exactly zero faith in the linked source:rolleyes:....
Of course, I'm a pessimist.

Oh they are? Id google news midrange N80 and i got that, so that site is normaly BS? :eek:

SentToSchool said:
Add a decent power supply and it's 1000 and you'll want the C2D 6400 for much better overclocking.

He is building a system for a friend, somehow I doubt that mad overclocking is in order.

Back