When will the new 33" size LCD panels go on sale ??

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
First big wide screen LCD was the 24" back in like 2002, then in 2004 Apple wowed everyone with the huge 30" Display the first ever of that size three years ago. Then in 2006 the 27" panel came into existence, and will most likely take over the price point the 24" has had.

My whole point here is all these LCD panels are 3" apart, 24"...27"...30"...So I am just guessing there should be a 33" LCD released sometime soon ??

My whole point here is all these LCD panels are 3" apart, 24"...27"...30"...So I am just guessing there should be a 33" LCD released sometime soon ??

you put way too much stock in numerical patterns... it doesn't make any sense from a manufacturing standpoint to make a 33" LCD just because there are 24, 27 and 30" LCDs. there are several 32" 1080p LCD HDTVs out there, however.

It is not a perfect pattern...

15 17 19 20 21.6 22 23 24 26 27 28 30

There are a lot that are in between. I could easily see Apple making a new 32 or 34 inch. The seem to be innovators in the size thing.

I could see Apple coming out with a 33" or 34" sometime soon, but would the rez be 2560x1600 or something new and higher ?

Apple cant produce a size that isnt a standard, 33" doesnt exist dude.

Apple cant produce a size that isnt a standard, 33" doesnt exist dude.

I know a 33" or 34" does not exist today, just like back in 2003 a 30" didn't exist but then Apple made one. So maybe this is something coming out later 2008 ??

I mean there has to be something larger in the works for real PC monitors not just TV's ?? I imagine in like 10 years we will be gaming with 60" flexible paper thin screens that wrap around in front of you :)

Sorry, but I disagree.

30 inch is as big as you can go with a computer LCD, because you cannot look close at anything bigger. Once you start moving back it's a TV.

I know you'r talking about gamming, but that is the catch. The only reason you would go bigger is for gamming and that can be done on a TV that is as big as you want. I do not think you will see anybody doing CAD and Graphics on 30"+ LCDs.

I think the advances will come in the form of things like refresh rate, contrast ration and the like.

just my 2 cents and you can have it for free

Dave

Sorry, but I disagree.

30 inch is as big as you can go with a computer LCD, because you cannot look close at anything bigger. Once you start moving back it's a TV.

I know you'r talking about gamming, but that is the catch. The only reason you would go bigger is for gamming and that can be done on a TV that is as big as you want. I do not think you will see anybody doing CAD and Graphics on 30"+ LCDs.

I think the advances will come in the form of things like refresh rate, contrast ration and the like.

just my 2 cents and you can have it for free

Dave

I totally agree. Having just purchased a Dell 3008WFP I don't think a size beyond 30" is that practical as a monitor. More than likely 30" will be improved over time with LED backlighting, Higher refresh, 10-12 Bit Colour and eventualy increased resolution (3840x2400)...

3840x2400 is crazy rez, and if a panel is made to handle that I would imagine it to be a larger screen like 34" +.

Someday there has to be bigger high rez screens. Where are those really thin bendable screens talked about few years ago in testing phase, like a slight u shaped screen

I know a 33" or 34" does not exist today, just like back in 2003 a 30" didn't exist but then Apple made one. So maybe this is something coming out later 2008 ??

I mean there has to be something larger in the works for real PC monitors not just TV's ?? I imagine in like 10 years we will be gaming with 60" flexible paper thin screens that wrap around in front of you :)

Apple doesnt make LCD panels, 30" LCD modules did exist but no manufactures were making retail monitors with them.

3840x2400 is crazy rez, and if a panel is made to handle that I would imagine it to be a larger screen like 34" +.

Someday there has to be bigger high rez screens. Where are those really thin bendable screens talked about few years ago in testing phase, like a slight u shaped screen

These things have been around for quite a while, albeit in larger sizes - more like 47"+

3840x2160 Quad HD (Chi Mei branding I think) is quite a useful res as 1080p & 720p multiply conveniently to fit. No scaling necessary if you just use 4:1 or 9:1 pixel mapping. More importantly you can monitor 4x 1080p or 9x 720p feeds. See Barco & Frontniche for actual products that you can't afford...

I imagine a 3840x2400 computer screen would suit a lot people if it could be made small enough, say 32"-34".

I imagine a 3840x2400 computer screen would suit a lot people if it could be made small enough, say 32"-34".

Already been made, it's called the IBM T221, and it's not 32-34", it's 22". Great monitor, contrast not the best, then again.. it's 5 years old.
There's also IBM R50, 15" laptop, 2048x1536.

Back