When will I be bottlenecked? (Give me a reason to upgrade my 5820k)

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had a 5820k @ 4.3GHz on air for ~5yrs. 16GB, 2080Ti gaming 4k/60Hz.

I've been wanting to upgrade my system for a while but I still don't see a reason to. Every benchmark I've seen still shows games are (for the most part) GPU bottlenecked at 4k/60 with my CPU.

Is there any GPU/processor on the horizon that will necessitate me to upgrade?

scratch that itch! you know you want to! of course there will be faster and more efficient cpus- amd 4000 q2(they should be some really sweet procs and eventually intel 2021?maybe? gpus - amd & nvidia. they both like to play the wait for the other team to move first game before under cutting the other so who knows when the big dogs will come out(sometime this year is the rumor). youll have to play the waiting game for those tasty treats. seriously, if your rig is doing what you want at the speed and res you require, kick back, sip a cold one and enjoy your gear. whilst the rest of us hardware junkies chase the dragon!
try your hand at a custom loop or upgrade your case to something badass. grab a new hsf or new fans. theres always soooomething that could use a nice fresh coat of paint. that may get you thru the next few months.

I just refreshed my friends build and he has a 5820k, we found no reason to upgrade it and just put a decent water loop on it at 4.5ghz. I'd wait to see what Zen 3 has in store and/or if intel 10nm comes to fruition

Last edited:
X99 platform is still competitive, unless you're going for high FPS 1080 or 1440 then I'd just wait and see to be honest.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I just refreshed my friends build and he has a 5820k, we found no reason to upgrade it and just put a decent water loop on it at 4.5ghz. I'd wait to see what Zen 3 has in store and/or if intel 10nm comes to fruition

...so basically this. The Internetz have AMD pushing single-core performance to new heights, so that combined with more cores could be a 'reason'.

Still, if your current CPU can feed your GPU to your liking, you'll probably want to look at upgrading your GPU and even monitor first so you have a higher target to hit.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

...so basically this. The Internetz have AMD pushing single-core performance to new heights, so that combined with more cores could be a 'reason'.

Still, if your current CPU can feed your GPU to your liking, you'll probably want to look at upgrading your GPU and even monitor first so you have a higher target to hit.
How much higher is there? I already have a 2080Ti, dual cards are pretty much pointless for gaming these days and there are no real decent 43”, high FPS 4k displays. Maybe the ASUS 43” with DSC will be decent but that’s still a ways off.

How much higher is there? I already have a 2080Ti, dual cards are pretty much pointless for gaming these days and there are no real decent 43”, high FPS 4k displays. Maybe the ASUS 43” with DSC will be decent but that’s still a ways off.

That's harder to say, and it's not like there are solid details as to when the next round of GPUs will be releasing, let alone whether they'll be worth upgrading to.

Personally, I'm 120Hz+ with VRR or die; I don't even want to upgrade my laptop until I can get that.

You shouldn't have any reason to upgrade, especially if you're FPS is already being limited by 4K.

I just upgraded from a 5820k @ 4.5ghz to a Ryzen 3900X. Gaming really wasn't much of an improvement, if any. I had wanted to stick with the 5820k for another year or two in order to let the Zen hype settle down a bit, and see what Intel had up it's sleeve.

The only reason I upgraded at all was because I was having an occasional freezing issue with my 5820k system that I tried for over a year to solve and I finally threw in the towel. I never actually identified what the issue was, but it got to the point where during the course of my diagnostics, I had swapped out every single component other than my CPU and Motherboard, and even at stock settings (no overclock, etc) it would still freeze. Sometimes it would go a week or more without freezing, sometimes it would freeze several times per day. Never a BSOD, the system would simply freeze. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was some sort of CPU degradation as a result of me running my 5820k at 1.4v with aggressive LLC for the first year or two that I had it.

The 5820k now lives on in my backup system, where I'm not as concerned about the possibility of it freezing since it doesn't get used very often, and the large number of PCIE lanes let me resurrect my 3 old GTX680 cards for Triple-SLI (most of the games I care about still support SLI).

Yeah, Zen 3 is finally expected to surpass Skylake on both IPC and competitive clocks. Definitely worth waiting 6 months for!

Love my 5820k. I had to pull it back from 4.6 to 4.1. Motherboard has some issues and pulling back for now has stabilized it. May have to swap to 4th gen Ryzen if more issues crop up otherwise, I had no reason to move beyond this chip. Hope another golden nugget like it is available when its time from blue or red.

Love my 5820k. I had to pull it back from 4.6 to 4.1. Motherboard has some issues and pulling back for now has stabilized it. May have to swap to 4th gen Ryzen if more issues crop up otherwise, I had no reason to move beyond this chip. Hope another golden nugget like it is available when its time from blue or red.
Im having a few issues too at 4.3, I think I’m going to have to bring it down a bit. I don’t want to invest in water cooling at this point when eventually I’m going to upgrade. MSI X99A Plus is not the best motherboard but it gets the job done.

It's gonna take a while for that CPU to be need to be replaced. It's still pretty capable, but if you really want to upgrade I'd say go for Ryzen 4K series when they come out.

Back