When will 45nm Phenoms be available for purchase?

Next year probably, you can get the server version soon but for desktop I think that it would take some time.

Yes, server chips is where the money is, which is what they desperately need now. They also need to reap their architecture's scalability advantage while it still exists. Plus, it's going to take a long time to ramp up volume on 45nm anyway. Intel's still making 65nm chips and they've been doing 45nm for what, a year?

The launch date from AMD's slide is January 8, 2009. I wouldn't doubt that you could see Deneb parts for sale in limited quantities a couple of weeks before that.

venm11: Intel forecasts that 1/2 of their production (by units, I assume) will be 45nm by January. Intel's 3rd 45nm fab should be producing chips by the end of the year. That's just to give you some perspective of how many chips that is. ;)

pxc - half! Intel really milked 45nm in the beginning, suggesting that they were "now 45nm" when in fact they were very low quantities. So AMD really isn't far behind intel at all...

Half of Intel's production is still more than twice AMD's production.
Naturally, if you have more production facilities, it will take longer to make a full transition.

pxc - half! Intel really milked 45nm in the beginning,
It wasn't milking. Intel didn't have even one full scale 45nm fab at the beginning. Two full fabs have started manufacturing 45nm CPUs since then. Don't scoff at it, 50% of Intel's CPU production is a huge amount of chips. ;) Even if Intel (and AMD for that matter) could instantly switch to a new process overnight, neither would because that would be poor utilization of equipment capable of producing chips near the peak of yields.

It also takes AMD time to switch over to a new process. Remember how long it took for 65nm to overtake 90nm, not even counting how long it took until 100%? And for mobile and servers (both much worse)? :p

It wasn't milking. Intel didn't have even one full scale 45nm fab at the beginning. Two full fabs have started manufacturing 45nm CPUs since then. Don't scoff at it, 50% of Intel's CPU production is a huge amount of chips. ;) Even if Intel (and AMD for that matter) could instantly switch to a new process overnight, neither would because that would be poor utilization of equipment capable of producing chips near the peak of yields.

It also takes AMD time to switch over to a new process. Remember how long it took for 65nm to overtake 90nm, not even counting how long it took until 100%? And for mobile and servers (both much worse)? :p

I meant that Intel milked it in the PR perspective --- "look, we're 45nm now!" Which draws a line in the sand AMD will be compared to until they're "45nm".

But utilization is part of the point of going to 45nm -- more chips per wafer. That's in addition to the efficiency gains and possible performance gains.

Back