When will 30" + monitors become affordable?

Usually with most things it comes down to how many people buy them which drives more production and more overall profit due to number of items sold (not always the case with apple though). It also usually happens when something better takes over the top slot, though the new kid on the block often comes in at a higher premium so can take a few years for the pricing hierarchy to adjust "properly". That hasn't happened with 2560x ips screens yet afaik. They are still the top high ppi desktop display. Maybe years down the road when QFHD and later suitable for PC OLEDs and similar come down in price to even near enthusiast levels, there will at least be a bunch of used 2560x ones for sale. Just guessing. Unfortunately consumer/moderate enthusiast panel tech has not pushed forward much at all in many years.. and still is inferior to crt motion at that.

@ suiken_2mieu

Those 4 and 5 monitors setups are pretty sick. Dare we ask what you do on all those monitors? Day trader? I like the Acer box / monitor stand on the far right... ;-)

@ suiken_2mieu

Those 4 and 5 monitors setups are pretty sick. Dare we ask what you do on all those monitors? Day trader? I like the Acer box / monitor stand on the far right... ;-)

Well 75% of what I do on my computer involves casual internet browsing, 20% is craigslist / ebay crawling, and the last 4%, and the last 1% is random. I mostly use 3 monitors on a daily basis. A good chunk of my play money comes from buying and selling electronics online. I multitask crazily.

My 5 23" setup was my favorite except I spoiled myself with a 30" on my birthday and couldn't go back. So I've been rebuilding bigger ever since. It's been about two years and I'm almost done with displays. I'm due for a rig upgrade (rig in sig).

Playing games at a render height of 2560 is amazing though. Everything is so crisp. It also physically engulfs my real life FOV so I feel almost completely immersed. That's why I want 5.

The monitor borders don't bother you when gaming? The gaps would drive me nuts.

Fine for work/surfing tho.

They vanish during gameplay. Menus are slightly annoying. I even watch movies and tv on them and it doesn't bother me. My friends also have similar experiences when using my rig.

I even watch movies and tv on them and it doesn't bother me.

That is some incredible tolerance.

It would be more tolerable if the bezels were thinner, but on these 3007wfps, the bezel is an inch thick. Two 3007wfps next to each other = a whopping 2" of bezel. I tried it once for a week - and it was terrible.

In my opinion, watching something on a 30" in landscape is a far greater experience than on any amount of 30" in portrait with 2" worth of bezel every ~16" horizontally.

Like the other poster said though, fine for work.

If I wanted to watch on a larger screen - I'll just watch it on a TV.

That said, to each their own. But to those wondering if it's as bad as it looks - I'm guessing to most - it is.

That is some incredible tolerance.

It would be more tolerable if the bezels were thinner, but on these 3007wfps, the bezel is an inch thick. Two 3007wfps next to each other = a whopping 2" of bezel. I tried it once for a week - and it was terrible.

In my opinion, watching something on a 30" in landscape is a far greater experience than on any amount of 30" in portrait with 2" worth of bezel every ~16" horizontally.

Like the other poster said though, fine for work.

If I wanted to watch on a larger screen - I'll just watch it on a TV.

That said, to each their own. But to those wondering if it's as bad as it looks - I'm guessing to most - it is.

On my 3x24" portrait eyefinity setup I was never bothered by the bezels. They were there if you looked for them, but otherwise they tended to melt away and I wouldn't notice them. I would imagine it is actually better with 30" - I'm on a single 27" now though and really like it. It's better than eyefinity in some ways, but not in others - to each their own like you say.

yiYFj.png

Really wish I had picked up a few more of these back in 2009! Notice the 3 year warranty ;)

I think thats about how much I paid for mine from Dell refurb. I am hoping there will be another deal like this coming up...

That is some incredible tolerance...

For me, If I spend enough money on something, I'll probably force myself to enjoy it or find something better to invest in. So far, this multi-monitor business is what got me into pc gaming at all back in the days of the Triplehead 2 Go.

The original 3007 was nearly $2k when released. It didn't seem so bad when the Panasonic 21" with the Trinitron tube cost me $1400. I bought my new 3011 for $999, with more inputs than needed.....

Another [H] reader saw my complaints and had the exact same monitor I did. Sold to me for a decent price. So now I will live with 2 x 26" until the 30's become affordable. I can totally live with that for 1/10th the price of a new 30".

I've had a 26" 1920x1200 monitor for about 4 years now. It was $400ish back in the day, and now you can get 26" monitors for under 300.

I'm ready for a bigger screen and more resolution. But the 30" monitors that are out now start at a grand and go up. WTF?

A quick glance at Newegg shows the cheapest to be an HP (ZR30W) for $1179. That is just sick. That is almost 4 car payments.

I would do 500-600 maybe for a 30" monitor at 2560x1600.

Why? Why?

Any comment even suggesting I buy a TV will get laughed at. Unless it's some new 4K one I haven't seen yet (which would certainly cost more than $1k anyway, defeating the point)

It's the Walmart principle... Joe calls a store and says I want 100 widgets. He gets them at $100 each. Walmart calls the same company and says we want 10,000,000 widgets. For 10 million widgest, the mfgr can buy the parts in larger bulks and sell at the cheaper price of $40 each and still make profit.

For 30" panels, they aren't cheap because the number of them sold does not justify increasing production to the levels where mfgrs can buy in large enough bulk to make it profitable to offer them at a lower cost.

That's because everyone is seemingly content to play computer games at "American Idol" resolution.

If there's any blame, it sits squarely on the gamers who "settle" for low resolution LCDs under 1920x1200.

Anything under 1920x1200 is low resolution.

And you're right about 4k monitors. Last one I saw cost more than a new 2012 BMW 325i.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure 4k are not only priced that high but they are VA lcd for blacklevels in movies - which makes for a poor desktop monitor especially for games, and most likely well oversized as they are geared for TV's "cinema 4k" viewing. The QFHD LG based panels that are supposed to come out have a near 27" 16:9 model 3840x2160 "block of four 1080p's" which is an ips 60hz and 166ppi.
Another thing a lot of people "settle for" is not just resolution but lcd blur (entire scene blurring out high detail textures and "3D" texture depth via bump mapping) on fast motion / FoV motion. Even the 120hz monitors blur/smear but they are better than the 60hz so are desireable. A 2560x ips is usually 10ms or higher response time so blurs worse than even 60hz 2ms TN's. The ones with a scaler have added input lag, and most of them have over-aggressive AG coating that many people "settle for" as well. As far as rez goes, I love my 2560x1440 for desktop apps, real-estate, ppi, gorgeous imagery.. but the 120hz TN is noticeably superior for motion (still bluring but tighter/not as much), and a CRT is just clear all the time during motion.
.I don't think 1k is out of bounds at all, though $750 for a 27" sounds nicer. A newer model 46" - 50" LCD TV is $1250 - $2500 at a 1080p VA. GPU's and multi-gpu setups recommended to run games on a 2560x or higher rez easily hit $500 - $720 - $1000.

Sorry guys, guess I'm holding everyone back for having a 23.5" 1920x1080 monitor :rolleyes:

The good news is, if that's what you want then they are $109 shipped! You can buy like 20 of them and make a wall of monitors....

Hey now, I might have stumbled onto something. Wonder what the max amount of monitors we could get out of 1 PC.... would probably do better to find an older system with a bunch of PCI slots and fill every one of those with a PCI Quadro... 5 pci slots x 4 monitors each? Would kind of suck for anything other than web surfing tho.

Otherwise, what, limited to 3 way crossfire = 6 monitors?

edit - bah, alll the quadros I see on ebay are dualheads. And tons of AGP crap. I know they made PCI ones though.

Otherwise, what, limited to 3 way crossfire = 6 monitors?

edit - bah, alll the quadros I see on ebay are dualheads. And tons of AGP crap. I know they made PCI ones though.
Yeah 6. But in non crossfire, you could get 4 eyefinity 6 cards and do 24 monitors. Ati did that just before they launched the 5870.

Back