When Video Game Trolling Is A Good Thing

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy explains why he likes being a dick to people while playing online games.

Then they’ll see us drive past our base, me still clutching the flag, passing within feet of where we could have scored and won, instead putting virtual pedal to the metal and driving off the edge of the map and into oblivion. We take the team’s win with us, but earn ourselves a different sort of victory. We are trolls. It’s what we do.

Stranger In A Strange Land
SIASL's(pronounced sai-ass-els) will join in a game going on and show a modicum of skill at it. However, upon obtaining the flag, bomb or hostage, said person will then take it on a five week tour of the entire goddamn map. Tribes 2 versions will often grab the flag and proceed to ski into a lake 20 kliks away, dry humping a piece of terrain that vaguely resembles Jacques Cousteau.
Characteristics Believes his false claim of "Dude, I was in the base the whole time, why didn't you return OUR flag?" will keep him from being beaten down. Often gets lost between the toilet and the sink and will shout for help from the bathroom.

I like matchmaking systems that punish players for trolling. That way all the trolls end up only being matched with other trolls. This works remarkably well in some games. It's amazing how annoyed trolls get when they get trolled right back.

If trolling is as socially acceptable as this pus-covered anal wart on a crusty fly's behind thinks it is, then let's just all spend the next year hunting him down in every game he plays and trolling him into the sun.

How sad and puny one's existence must be, to take joy in trying to ruin the fun of people you don't even know.

And afterward, if we’ve trolled you right, you’ll laugh.
This is the part that a lot of people dont master in the art of trolling, they forget that its not about entertaining themselves, but both parties. Or on the other end, some people take gaming too seriously to even laugh at the fact that theyre being trolled. I find it hilarious when someone kills me in Battlefield (bf4 or hardline) and they start doing the teabag dance. It reminds me that theres another human on the other side of that screen, and this game is for entertainment only.

His actions are totally unacceptable! Video games are extremely serious business and messing around or having free-form fun in them is not only disruptive, but highly upsetting to people who have invested their lives in learning, discovering, and playing every aspect of a game only to not only deal with the idea that someone is better at it than them, but doesn't take their own abilities in a context that gives appropriate gravity to entertainment. It's an outrage that someone has the nerve to go around having fun in a video game at the expense of others without doing it in a way that the game developers intended. People like this should look at themselves in a mirror and wipe that joyful grin off their faces because they obviously have no idea what video games were made for in the first place.

His actions are totally unacceptable! Video games are extremely serious business and messing around or having free-form fun in them is not only disruptive, but highly upsetting to people who have invested their lives in learning, discovering, and playing every aspect of a game only to not only deal with the idea that someone is better at it than them, but doesn't take their own abilities in a context that gives appropriate gravity to entertainment. It's an outrage that someone has the nerve to go around having fun in a video game at the expense of others without doing it in a way that the game developers intended. People like this should look at themselves in a mirror and wipe that joyful grin off their faces because they obviously have no idea what video games were made for in the first place.

QFT.

A long time ago in a CS:S game a hacker came in with aimbot and headshotted everyone on my team as we came around a corner. 10 of us dead in about 3s. It was actually pretty funny. He was instantly perma banned but we did get a laugh out of it. Most games that trolls go trolling in though aren't as quick to ban which makes them annoying. It would be nice if there was a button to push that would fry the troll's PC while having nunubot's laugh going off.

how sad and puny your existence must be if the internet upsets you so much.The guy is enjoying himself on the internet; good on him.

If you are not enjoying yourself on the internet, its very easy to exit the internet, or go anywhere else on the internet.

The world is what you make it.

how sad and puny your existence must be if the internet upsets you so much.The guy is enjoying himself on the internet; good on him.

If you are not enjoying yourself on the internet, its very easy to exit the internet, or go anywhere else on the internet.

The world is what you make it.

Haha, I'm not sure if you know that CUG is being sarcastic. Never take anything he says serious.

Haha, I'm not sure if you know that CUG is being sarcastic. Never take anything he says serious.

yea that was meant to go along with the post; not at the post...

the positive of trolling, if nothing else, is to teach someone, who doesn't know any better, a valuable real life lesson, that you should not rely on the kindness of humanity for your own happiness; you will forever be unhappy if you do.

The ART of trolling, is to do the above in an incredible, skillful, and novel way, which other people, intelligent enough to understand, will appreciate and enjoy.

Its fine if you dont appreciate it for what it is; it wasnt meant for you anyway.

i am the dark knight.
i am the troll.

Trolling takes some serious work to be decent at. That being said, it's no excuse to be a complete asshole.

Friends of mine would troll clans trying to invite us into their clan. I think my favorite was the questions like ROI on the clan and that they wanted to now be clan leader.

GTA 5's solution of the dunce cap does make me happy. Same with titanfall. Cheaters gonna cheat? be in your own groups with other cheaters.

Trolls/griefers claiming that being a nuisance is somehow an art? OK. :confused:

I don't really get butthurt over it. I just move on to a server with fewer children. Reducing one's interactions with trolls/griefers and "freestylers", is what friends lists, and blacklists are for. :p

I always thought some of these shens made the game more interesting. If its just a boring CTF map w/o some shens, then it just sucks and feels like I am playing bots.

That's a long article that sort of repeats itself.

How is the WoW part about the guild trolling the dead person's memorial thing funny? I tried watching the video but I didn't get it as I never played WoW. Also that just doesn't sound funny at all in any way shape or form. Sort of tainted the rest of the article to me.

I get the point, there is some sort of "masterful trolling" art form supposedly. Honestly from two decades of online gaming though...I can't remember a troll that was as enjoyable as any honest moments where I just enjoyed the game. In fact I can't think of any moment where someone being an asshat was anything more than just that... an annoying asshat.

Article falls flat for me.

I have never once cared about trolls, you know why? Because there is a simple extremely effective system that has been 100% troll proof since the beginning of multiplayer gaming. It is called a clan match. You find a team of players you can trust and you will not get trolled. The other team might but you won't. And if you aren't in a clan match then who gives a shit how the game goes anyway because there isn't a wink of team play or coordination in public servers in any game I have played ever. The biggest trolls are actually the guys who don't even know they are doing it, you know the 90% of a server that is just death matching and not even going for the objective.

Also the article was stupid, too long to read most of it, but the guy was an idiot really trying to spend too much time talking like oh shit dude I am a pro troller you other trollers just shooting team mates with FF on are just noob trollers, HA! Basically this guy trolls and no one gives a shit or ever did and somehow he decides well no one cares so I will make an article about all my useless experiences and try to talk myself up because I cant stand the fact that no one cares or remembers anything I did.

Also feel free to correct me if I am wrong but the guys title as most are made no sense there was never anywhere where he explained why trolling was a good thing for anyone but his lonely self.

That is sad because IMO there are times to troll hard, especially when a game company has flat out refused to fix major exploits or issues out of pure laziness or even worse arrogance. Broken mechanics etc... I think in those situations you should troll it up and force them to either fix it or watch their player numbers shrink.

I like matchmaking systems that punish players for trolling. That way all the trolls end up only being matched with other trolls. This works remarkably well in some games. It's amazing how annoyed trolls get when they get trolled right back.

If trolling is as socially acceptable as this pus-covered anal wart on a crusty fly's behind thinks it is, then let's just all spend the next year hunting him down in every game he plays and trolling him into the sun.

In the article he gives examples of his own games getting trolled, and it inspires him to up his own trolling skills.

The most entertaining part of the entire article is how this guy is trying to explain to the world that he's really doing them a favor by being a dick. "we can laugh together".

Riiiigghhhht.

Some level of trolling is OK....it makes things interesting/funny, but there IS a point where it's gone too far and ruins the game. People need to learn this. Is it really fun to troll so much that there are no players left to troll?

Maybe Kotaku is just a long con culminating in THIS masterful troll article? ;)

I can't help but laugh at that line, despite the fact that that can be annoying as anything lol.

There are people that build things, people who parasite on people who build things, and people who like to tear things down.

That is the arc of all civilizations as well.

Back