When too far is never far enough: 4D Theater Wind Effect

I followed this over on AVS. Definitely a cool idea, though to me the fan noise would be a bit annoying. What we really need is a theater fan, something that moves a lot of air nearly silently and can be floor or ceiling mounted for aesthetic reasons.. Wishful thinking I know!

I guess it depends on how far you really want to go... wind in your face, smells, water, heat, vibration, movement... I'm fine with just a really good TV (65" LG OLED) coupled to a great surround sound system with a kick-ass subwoofer (SVS PB12-Ultra/2).

Personally, I like to hire Mike Tyson to punch me in the face constantly whenever I'm watching a Rocky movie.

This is the arena of Home Theaters though, no matter how far you think is enough in any aspect of this hobby, it will never be enough for others. The land of endless tinkering and vanishing money. Never boring though, there is that.

My subwoofers move enough air that in heavy bass scenes I get a draft - but the idea of adding fans is only appealing on top of having a motion controller a-la DBOX. I've invested a ton of money in my setup, including a 20K projector and I still can't justify the price of DBOX.

Its like the rides my daughter lovers at Universal Studios. Now just have water spray, heat and smells and we have something.

Personally I'd rather a pair of thigpens but this is all good :)

Personally, I like to hire Mike Tyson to punch me in the face constantly whenever I'm watching a Rocky movie.

This is the arena of Home Theaters though, no matter how far you think is enough in any aspect of this hobby, it will never be enough for others. The land of endless tinkering and vanishing money. Never boring though, there is that.
Wait, you still have both ears??? Haha, yeah I had a projector at my old house with ~12 foot screen and surround sound. How dissapointing it was after buying time crisis, pushing my furniture around so I could duck behind the couch, just to realize the guns don't function with a projector, lol. Seemed like a great idea at the time. I did paint my entire living room black besides the screen area, but no wind or water for me.

The only way this would be even slightly effective is if the film was shot in perfect 1st person and you also had force feedback seats. Other than that it's just going to feel like an oscillating fan with odd rotation timing.

Back